What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I will tell the thruth, sorry Mr RTF please don't mind me...
He was an infiltrated spy with many identities and faces.
I must admit that it is even hard to know what is his real identity.
We should make a movie out of his career.

And for those who are wondering, the hint in the picture is that he was putting lights on what was happening in the world, so the light bulb.

L

Retired ten years ago after 28 years in law enforcement related jobs, mostly as a federal agent. When I'm not cruising, I do private security contracting.

I just turned 62 so I am pretty close to going full time retirement! (I'm just getting too old for this s__t!)

Last edited:
For my living I am Software engineering manager for a class 1 north american railways, there are 9 and 3 in Canada so you have 1/3 chance to guess the right one.
For my pleasure I am a novice boater, green wood traditional woodworker and experimental cooker lol

L

Interesting thread. I studied architecture, spent a couple years designing residential/light commercial projects and the remainder of my career in retail store design/purchasing/construction management across the US and Canada.

We have boated inland waterways for 33 years with eleven boats. Rebuilt two boats from the stringers up..........one to spruce up an old boat and the second because it sure looked better before we bought it. Our cheapest boat was $500 and our most expensive $60,000. Smallest boat was 16' and the largest was 30'.

I retired last year at 61 and my wife retired this past January at 62 with plans to travel extensively by land/water which will be re-scheduled for a bit later. In the meantime I am doing preventative maintenance/updates to our Rosborough RF-246 for cruising and dreaming of future fishing trips with a new 18' Carolina Skiff CC retirement gift.

In the meantime have two neighbors in quarantine and the rest of the state under stay at home directive...............it will get better.

Sadly, RT taunts me every time he posts one of his gifs...my computer just shows a sad little blue question mark :(

We sea kayaked until I was 48, then my wife got into a car accident that changed the Rules of Life.

Bought Badger (our first boat) four years ago, and now we can still get 'out there' and our daughter will also grow up knowing in her bones how amazing the north coast of BC is.

I'm a large format fine art photographer who lucked out into a letter carrier job which supports our family and boating. No big bucks here. No high paying job or prestigious title. Our goal has always been to have a happy & humble, uncomplicated Life :thumb:

Update...4 years later!

Our daughter is finishing up her first year of college (Environmental Management, so something about those boat trips had resonance :thumb: ) and is doing courses online safely at home.

Still holding to the 'Happy and Humble' credo...would have to work until 65 for a full pension but will leave at 60 with a reduction: Memory banks are more important than money banks. I have done my last winter/Christmas as a letter carrier :dance:

Currently transitioning from being a large format B&W photographer into using a Fujifilm digital camera system to make digitally enlarged positives for making polymer photogravures; the complexity, steepness of learning curve (integrates technologies from the 15th and 21st centuries) and effort involved gives my stomach butterflies. Perfect retirement project!

Last edited:
I'm [STRIKE]semi-[/STRIKE]retired now after working most of my life as a freelance petroleum engineer without any formal qualifications. Over the past 10 years I've done work in Australia, Canada, Libya, Korea, India, Iraq, UAE & Brazil.

I think I'll put the work on hold for a while until this all blows over. That should be this weekend if I heard correctly.

My wife is a part-time hamster trainer. I’m a retired town crier.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. OK. Just for you. Hint:

iu

Let’s just say, “The most interesting man in the world “ has me on speed dial

Sadly, RT taunts me every time he posts one of his gifs...my computer just shows a sad little blue question mark :(

It’s RT’s long-simmering anti-Canadian bias, Murray. I hail from up there myself and I can’t see his attachments either. (Until he posted the image of the pothead and his chemistry set, which proves he can do it.)

RT, so you’re a retired chem engineer, eh? :socool:

It’s RT’s long-simmering anti-Canadian bias, Murray. I hail from up there myself and I can’t see his attachments either. (Until he posted the image of the pothead and his chemistry set, which proves he can do it.)

Anti-Canadian? is there such a thing? We're so darn polite and huggable!

Chemical Engineer eh? Makes sense...that's what my dad was, and he had the same "walk through Life on the sunny side of the street" attitude as our RT :D

I started adulthood as an Industrial Engineer but it wasn't much fun so gave it up to teach SCUBA. Promptly went broke so I went back into manufacturing as a Project Engineer. It still wasn't fun so decided to go fishing. Now that was fun but I couldn't make enough money to actually have enough to "go" broke again. Then I discovered that I could get paid to fly airplanes and teach others to do the same. I'm now a mostly retired contract pilot and flight instructor.

What is a glass blower, Alex?...

I retired January 1st 2017 having had the good fortune to have been successful at one of the greatest companies in the world - Johnson & Johnson. Ended up as a Global Corporate Vice President.

Since then have done three, three month trips to the Bahamas, and a two month trip to the Chesapeake on Sonas. As well as lots of smaller trips on her.

In the last three years we have also done an Alaskan cruise, a Southern Caribbean cruise, a Panama Canal Cruise, a one month Safari, a one months trip to Jordan, Israel and Egypt, one month touring Ireland including the British Open last year, and a one months trip around South America (Rio for Carnival, The Amazon, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos).

Three trips cancelled for the rest of this year - but hoping that our planned trip to Antarctica next spring happens. At which time I can say I have been to all seven continents!

I had a work friend who finally caught up with me who asked "Paul, seriously, are you dying!" Well, I guess we all are.

So three years in, I guess what my answer is "I am a traveler!"

www.atanchor.com

Last edited:
Pretending to know what I'm doing.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Wow, lots of interest in this topic! For myself I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering (UC Berkeley). I retired in the summer of 2018 after 34 years in the global fuel and lubricant additive business. This is a business very few are aware of but all of us use the products. We provided the performance additive technology (detergent, dispersant, anti-wear, anti-oxidant, etc) along with the approval testing for many familiar lubricants such as Chevron Delo 400, John Deere TorqGard, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. I had the opportunity to work in a truly global business including living in Europe for a number of years, traveling the world on someone else's dime, and working with a number very smart people from around the world.

I've been boating for 60 years... since I was 2 months old. My parents had a 40' displacement cruiser kept in Seattle, though we lived in the SF Bay area. As a child we spent July and August cruising the San Juan and Gulf Islands. The first boat that I bought for myself was a Hobie 16 that I sailed when I lived in Houston for a few years. After my parents passed, we took over their old wooden cruiser. Our children grew up cruising on that old boat, but our trips were limited to 2-3 weeks.

A year ago we moved on to our current 40' Tollycraft Tricabin. As much as I loved the old boat,maintaining a wood boat was becoming more difficult as the old yards close down. We'd started off to buy a Grand Banks 42 and looked at the Tollycraft on a lark. To our surprise we really liked the boat, it was a perfect size for us. We also own a 21' Wellcraft that we use on Lake Tahoe in the summers, and we're still in the process of trying to sell/donate the old wooden boat I grew up on. So we're a bit boat rich, or poor depending on how you look at it.

I am retired now but have spent a lifetime working with/on/around boats. 25 years as a boat operator for Glacier Bay National Park. Mostly heading up a "pilot boat" operation putting park personnel on and off cruise ships. Interspersed with the NPS work I built a 40' sailing catamaran and 10 or so other boats and operated charter boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom