PNW to Mexico, Panama Canal, and Florida, on our way at last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seen your boat Ksanders when are you back in town? Brandon gets back in town next week hope to see you around. Brittany

We fly in from La Paz on the 15th and are planning on heading south shortly thereafter. We have plans to process our exit paperwork from Ensenada on the next Monday and then wait for a weather window.

The plan is to buddy boat down the coast with Terry and Cathy on the Betram 38 that is on D dock taking our time.

The folks that are renting our slip at Marina La Paz are vacating on the 31st so anytime after that our slip is ready.

From my security cameras you are directly opposite us.

Yup, I walked by your boat yesterday, after having a chat with Britt. Jesus offered to get us a slip on C-dock, but we may just stay here since we're already here, and whether we go out today for a new slip, or go out when we leave, we'll still be going out, if that makes sense. The fairway between C and D docks is NARROW!:eek: Of course, moving to C dock would put us that much closer to the hot tub!:D

Yup, I walked by your boat yesterday, after having a chat with Britt. Jesus offered to get us a slip on C-dock, but we may just stay here since we're already here, and whether we go out today for a new slip, or go out when we leave, we'll still be going out, if that makes sense. The fairway between C and D docks is NARROW!:eek: Of course, moving to C dock would put us that much closer to the hot tub!:D

Hopefully you saw the marina workers buffing and waxing. :blush:

They are supposed to be done next week.

Have you tried the margaritas at the grill??

The Cadillac margarita is the best I've had, anywhere!

Our insurance doesn't cover us below Ensenada until 1 November. I'm willing to "risk it" for a day or two if that's what it takes to make a WX window, but I'm not heading out as early as you are Kevin and Terry.

We are planning on buddy boating with Peter and Cheryll on MV Weebles, leaving on or about 30 Nov. So we'll see you down there!

Our insurance doesn't cover us below Ensenada until 1 November. I'm willing to "risk it" for a day or two if that's what it takes to make a WX window, but I'm not heading out as early as you are Kevin and Terry.

We are planning on buddy boating with Peter and Cheryll on MV Weebles, leaving on or about 30 Nov. So we'll see you down there!
I believe you mean October 30th departure.

We're currently outside St George UT with friends. Will be into Ensenada late Sunday. Weebles should get launched on Tuesday.

Looking forward to a meetup at Coral later this week.

Peter

Hi Ksanders just sent a bunch of emails to all the marinas in La Paz to see if by chance they have availability starting Nov. is there 1-2 you recommend?

Hopefully you saw the marina workers buffing and waxing. :blush:

They are supposed to be done next week.

Have you tried the margaritas at the grill??

The Cadillac margarita is the best I've had, anywhere!

I did have a margarita there a couple of nights ago. It was good!:dance:

I believe you mean October 30th departure.

We're currently outside St George UT with friends. Will be into Ensenada late Sunday. Weebles should get launched on Tuesday.

Looking forward to a meetup at Coral later this week.

Peter

Yep, 30 October:facepalm:. We look forward to meeting your guys in person!

Hi Ksanders just sent a bunch of emails to all the marinas in La Paz to see if by chance they have availability starting Nov. is there 1-2 you recommend?

Maria La Paz is the most cruiser friendly.

Marina Cortez has a great location

The other ones might and might not rerspond.

ok cool thank you for the info.

I know that when we attempted to get reservations for our expected arrival next month, we started over 1 year ago. We contacted three marinas, including the ones listed above. "No room for anything over 50' LOA" was the reply. One marina (can't remember which one) suggested we may have luck if we went in physically, and were willing to sign up for a year long lease though . . . Best of luck with getting space!
We're planning on anchoring out and dingying in. Or may heat to Mazatlan initially, as they have space for out boat sizes pretty much all the time, from what they said.

Thanks for the all the info.

A belated update. We currently in Bahia Santa Maria, MX.

We departed Ensenada,MX for Turtle Bay, MX, arriving on 1 Nov. We were present when the sailboat came in too close, hitting rocks and sinking, but weren't aware of it until the next morning. Thankfully, no loss of life!

We Departed Turtle Bay 3 November for a run to Asuncion where we anchored overnight. Then a short hop to Hipolito for the night, where we were joined by Peter and Cheryl of Weebles. Then the run down (25 hours) to Bahia Santa Maria. Arriving in Turtle Bay opened the floodgates on warmer water and hot and cold running fish!
The tally so far is 6 tuna, ranging from 30" to 41", about 6 Dorado that we kept, the others, even the large ones, if not injured by the hooks we let go. Just didn't want to fillet them! We need a formal cleaning station, or barring that, a larger cutting board, a longer fillet knife, and better filleting skills!
Looking back at the log, we caught and released two Bonita, and at least 9 Dorado, ranging from 26" to 42".

The little freezer is full, and the large freezer on the aft deck is getting there . . . It's a nice problem to have!

Yesterday morning, we woke to good news! No need to defrost the refrigerator! The bad news is that apparently the compressor, or compressor control module on our Sea Freeze fridge (circa 2008) packed it in overnight:eek:. We pulled out the large ice chest that we use for line storage on the aft deck, emptied it, cleaned it out, and filled it with fridge fodder, then dumped ice in from the ice maker, as well as frozen bottles from the large freezer. We're working on sourcing parts in LaPaz, but we'll make due just fine until we get it fixed.

On a side note, Callie, one of our three cats is not entirely sane when it comes to fresh tuna. We set aside a bag of scraps for her and she will eat them until her tummy is absolutely ROUND! The other two cats, Cato and Fraulein, just turned up their noses looking at us as if to say, "It isn't cooked! Show me the can it came out of please . . . . "

We're currently sitting tight in Bahia Santa Maria, MX. About half of the Ha Ha fleet has departed, but I think we'll wait until tomorrow. Winds last were reported as gusting to 47kts. We dragged anchor around 0500 local, turns out I dropped the chain on top of the anchor, fouling it. It set two days ago, but wouldn't hold with the blow. Several other boats dragged as well, with about a half dozen collisions, and at least one cut away anchor. If it settles down this afternoon, we're going to attempt to find/recover it, and get it back to the owners in Cabo. Just banking the Karma!:dance:

Last edited:
Scot, I have a small freezer on the top deck and I converted it to a beverage cooler by changing out the thermostat to a fridge unit. Just passing along a thought should parts decide to take time to arrive.

FWIW, I use a plastic kid's wading pool as a fish cleaning station. Holds all the gore and is easily washed out. Oceanic fish are very bloody!

Steve, thanks for the suggestion, we've got lots of ideas, right now we'll focus on repair.
Delfin, actually, what worked the best was cleaning underway on the swim step. Our dingy davits give me a support to wedge myself in between the davits and the transom, and cut on a cutting board on the swim step. Has the added advantage while underway of periodically having a few inches of water sluicing over the cutting board, keeping the work area clean as I work!:dance:
You gotta take the small wins when you can!:D
After spend an hour trying to find an elusive float tied to a lost anchor, we dropped off Weebles and another pax, and decided to head on to Cabo today/overnight. We should arrive in Cabo around 3 or 4 pm tomorrow.

Our run to Cabo was uneventful. 26 hours, 182 miles, averaged 7 kts with the paravanes out, which is pretty good for us! Caught 4 Bonita one after the other right after it got light, and right after I put the two handlines in the water. We released them.

Arrived around 1520 yesterday to an absolute s&&tshow for anchoring. We tried anchoring in closer to the marina, then moved out toward the marine sanctuary in about 28' of water.

Rant (skip if you don't want to read it!):dance:

About 1700, while were making chow, a crewman from the Attessa IV, a 100m motor yacht, (not sure what happened to the Attessa I, II or III) ran down a boat and said we had to move as we were within their "swing radius" if the winds came out of the South.

I asked how much rode they had out, he replied "3 shots", so 270'. So a 328' boat, with 270 feet of rode out claims ownership of a 1200' diameter circle of water . . . . which coincidentally, would put his stern in 10' of water should the wind turn Southerly . . . .

He's anchored in 150' of water, so even if his three shots of rode are ALL in the water, and not accounting for the 20' or so to his roller, he has less than a 2:1 scope . . . .

Methinks he should have anchored farther off shore . . . .
Anyway, not wanting to get into a pissing contest with him we moved. So did two other boats. One boat told him . . . well, told him no, and didn't move.
Over the night and into the morning, 11 boats have anchored in what the crewman claimed was their "swing radius" . . . . including two who are anchored almost on top of where we were anchored . . . . no one from the boat had bothered them. I guess they'll wait until they are all nice and settled, then tell them they own that water, and need to leave . . . . .

And then the the last 15 or so boats of the Baja Ha Ha will arrive, and anchor in that space, because it's about the only area that is left here in Cabo . . . .

Ahhhh, the joys of boating:D

Where are you?

Any news or updates?

Any news or updates?

Sorry we kind of got to Mexico and just started chilling. We spent a good bit of time over in La Paz getting some boat stuff done including the fridge repaired and a short trip out to the islands there.

Spent the holidays with KSanders family *DOS PECES" before heading to Mazatlan. We are currently at Marina Mazatlan for a few more days before we will be heading south.. where.. I don't think we've decided quite yet. Right now, we are looking into being out of Mexico before our visa expires on March 29th... maybe heading to Guatemala? Costa Rica? Currently checking customs stuff... ugh.

Sounds good.
Is La Paz the best place to do repairs in the area? (price, haul out, mechanics, parts)

If you like it in Mexico, why don't you extend your visa, before you decide to go further?

south.. where.. I don't think we've decided quite yet. Right now, we are looking into being out of Mexico before our visa expires on March 29th... maybe heading to Guatemala? Costa Rica? Currently checking customs stuff... ugh.

A big plug for Puerto Vallarta. The Marina District looks like...well...a marina district with mid-rise hotels. (Walmart and Costco for provisioning!) Just a couple miles south into the Old Town and the Zona Romantica will be a completely different experience. (we go at least twice a year)

And even if P.V. isn't what you are looking for, consider a night or two anchored off at nearby roadless Yelapa.

Last edited:
This type of crash scares me. Clearly nobody at the helm of either vessel paying much attention.

Sorry but you cant miss a 65' boat on the radar, it's just not possible.

You know that's what I thought.. you can't miss it on radar. But Scot and I had a conversation with a cargo ship off the channel islands that we were trying to figure out what he was doing (turns out he was drifting waiting to go into the channel) anyway. He said he couldn't see us. Whether that was he wasn't able to read radar or we weren't reading I don't know. Needless to say we got a radar reflector soon after that. I would think that with our aluminum pilot house and 50 plus foot would show up.... scary!

A big plug for Puerto Vallarta. The Marina District looks like...well...a marina district with mid-rise hotels. (Walmart and Costco for provisioning!) Just a couple miles south into the Old Town and the Zona Romantica will be a completely different experience. (we go at least twice a year)

And even if P.V. isn't what you are looking for, consider a night or two anchored off at nearby roadless Yelapa.

I'll check it out. Thanks

Keith, thanks for the news link. We didn't have much interaction with the crew of the Attessa IV, but what we did have was pretty . . . unprofessional. It's really unfortunate that a life was lost aboard the Prowler, but it looks like blame lies on both vessels. I agree with Kevin, that two vessels of that size had to make numerous mistakes through inattention in order for that collision to have occurred.

Sounds good.
Is La Paz the best place to do repairs in the area? (price, haul out, mechanics, parts)

If you like it in Mexico, why don't you extend your visa, before you decide to go further?

Laszlo, From what we've seen so far, I would pick Ensenada for boat repairs. They have multiple marine haul outs, and a lot of skilled labor. The trick, as Peter on MV Weebles discovered, is to figure out who is competent, and who is not. Not always an easy task.
The 2nd advantage to Ensenada is it's proximity to San Diego, and parts from the States. Parts are difficult to source here in MX, often much more expensive, and not immediately available as well. Simple things like marine wiring, while readily available in common sizes is easily twice the cost of the U.S. The compressor controller that went out for our fridge, which I could purchase in the States (and did, as a spare) was $80.00, including shipping. I purchased a no-name brand version down here that was immediately available for $220.00. The name brand Danfoss,or Secop controller here in Mexico was $380.00 usd!
We are here on a 180 day visa. The alternative is to apply for "residencia" which must be applied for from outside MX. When accepted, it is good for several years.
To reset your 180 day visa requires only that you leave the country and return. Literally cross into the US, clear customs, and turn around and come back in to MX, and the 180 day clock starts over. Easily done from Ensenada. More difficult elsewhere. With our cats, we can't both leave the boat unless we find a catsitter. For Laura to fly out to "reset" the visa, it's pretty easy, as I can stay at anchor. For me to fly out, we would like to have the boat in a marina in case there are any problems. Not as easily accomplished.

We ran from Cabo San Lucas up to Los Frailes, then Los Muertes, and finally up to La Paz. We stayed there for over a month, getting fridge repaired (that was pretty quick, filling up on shore food, making Sam's club reprovisioning runs, etc. Note: The barnacles grow FAST in La Paz! in 21 days we had about 1/4" to 3/8" of barnacles on our prop! Had to clean it off in order to go anywhere! We also finally installed the 210 amp Balmar alternator w/ external regulator on the Gardner. I de-rated the output of the alternator to 65%, or around 135 amps. So with the main engine running, the hydraulically powered generator running, providing power to the Victron Quattro Inverter Charger, and good solar input, we can put about 350 amps into the 1200 ah of LiFePO4 batteries, staying below their max allowable charge rate. For a short trip, we can use them all, and charge the batts from 50%, up to 100% in about two hours.

We ventured out of La Paz and spent about 10 days around Espiritu Santos and Isle Partido. Absolutely stunning! We finally broke out the SUP's as well (SUP = Stand up, Fall down,climb back on, rinse and repeat paddleboards). This brought 4 of them with us, thinking of all the people who would be visiting us on the boat . . . This was the first time we the opportunity to try them out. We ended up figuring out which two we liked the most, and sold the other two. A note on that: It is not legal for cruisers who are not MX citizens to "sell" stuff in MX, so we trade for "Coconuts":D when advertising on the morning cruising nets . . .

The run from La Paz to Mazatlan was a port beam sea and was kind of rolly, even with the paravanes out. It was 30 hours from Los Muertos to Mazatlan at about 6.5kts (ish). The entrance to Marina Mazatlan is kind of gnarly. Our old cruising guide said to do the entrance at slack, keeping to the RIGHT side of the channel. Local knowledge stated stay to the LEFT side of the channel, and the soundings on Navionics bore that out. We draw 5.5', but had no issues aside from the four local charter boats that came tearing out of the channel taking their half right our of the middle as we were heading in.

We did some more maintenance here in Mazatlan, and finally installed the fresh H20 wash down system, parts for which we have been dragging with us from Washington State. So we can pull into an anchorage after a passage, anchoring with 6 or 8 veteran sailboats, and do a full fresh water wash down of the solar panels, windows, and decks!:D:dance: causing high blood pressure and stokes on the sailors who all insist that a couple on a cruising sailboat can survive on < 1 gallon of fresh water/day!

We didn't move on a boat to camp. Or to just "survive". I can sleep in a ditch on the side of the road rolled up in a wet poncho . . . been there, done that. I have no desire to ever do it again if I can help it!:angel:

We're taking the opportunity here in Mazatlan to have the boat bottom cleaned. Rueben did a nice job for 13,000 pesos, or about $76 usd. Currently having Lois and crew clean/polish all the stainless, wash the entire exterior, and wax it. Total cost 8,500 pesos, or $500.00. It takes a bit of "supervision" to make sure that all the parts are clean, but overall, they are doing a good job. Similar jobs in the US are something I don't even want to contemplate, cost wise!

We also plan on putting on enough fuel to get us through to Panama before we leave Mazatlan.

In a few days, Laura and I (and three cats), and Peter and Cheryl on Weebles will depart for points South. Our current goal is to leave Mexico on or before 29 March so we don't have to worry about resetting our visa.

We have some personal issues, that depending on how they play out, may expedite our movement down to Panama and through the Panama Canal. We'll know in a few days or a week how that's going to play out.

The Wx here has been colder. Last night it got down to about 57 degrees! Brrrrr, Entirely too cold. We actually had to use blankets on the bed!

We may try fishing again as we head down the coast, but we need to eat our way though some of the tuna in the freezer first.

Well, more later after we get moving. Take care all!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom