PNW to Mexico, Panama Canal, and Florida, on our way at last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That all sounds... horrible! Just kidding—excellent. And the thought of tuna in the freezer that just has to be eaten to make way for fresher fish... that's exactly the kind of problem we'd like to have!

Leaving Chacala this morning. We've been buddy boating with Webbles. Cheryl and Peter have been gracious enough to let us crash their party south and we've been taking advantage of it. Cheryl has been patiently helping me with my awful Spanish and I actually maybe picking up a little. I'm hopeful anyway.
We went from Mazatlan to Isla Islabela and the Matanchen Bay near San Blas then in San Blas (stayed at Fonatur Marina) for a night) and then to Chacala.
It's been incredible days and days of beautiful sunsets and spectacular sunrises.

Isabela was interesting. We snubbed up so tight when we anchored that we were sure we'd have to dive to get unsnarled from the coral. The chain sounded like it was dragging and moving all night and it wasn't a very comfortable anchorage. But the birds and the whales were plentiful. Our anchor came up relatively easily.. snagged a couple times, but we just set a minute and it released and came up. So turned out okay in the end.

In Matanchen Bay we took the dingy in and went on a jungle tour with Weebles and another boat in the bay. I highly recommend. Through the La Tovara tour. It's about a mile up the road from the bay. Our guide Christian was incredible. If you go, ask for him if he's there.

The marina (San Blas) was incredibly priced, but careful on the depth. The bathrooms were very nice, great people. Even brought the port authority down to meet us to do the paperwork (no cost). Difficult to reach by phone though.

San Blas was definitely the essential Mexican town. Loved it. Great tacos. Found an amazing shop that sold inexpensive lightweight dresses that I have adopted as my go to

wardrobe with the heat here, so I indulged a bit. Definitely make it a place to visit if you are coming south... the plaza with the shopping, church and food is worth it alone.

Chacala was a beautiful anchorage. Went to shore for dinner and had an amazing dish thanks to Cheryl's recommendation Zanandeado. It's basically a grilled fish that they top with mustard and other stuff and grill. It was incredible. If you see it on the menu. Get it. When we were leaving.. the sunset turned the bay to fire and it was glorious.

Headed to La Cruz now.

Attachments

• 415311909_346542568146854_3057821791557107138_n(1).jpg
    415311909_346542568146854_3057821791557107138_n(1).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 415140451_903247771213312_3380252208090402522_n.jpg
    415140451_903247771213312_3380252208090402522_n.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 415025482_897007525405841_7141185990559022179_n.jpg
    415025482_897007525405841_7141185990559022179_n.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 415045162_187914917712597_6434592646213319406_n.jpg
    415045162_187914917712597_6434592646213319406_n.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 416286429_911491270349101_7320627556793238603_n.jpg
    416286429_911491270349101_7320627556793238603_n.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 415010914_2151731295168344_815985172478222715_n(1).jpg
    415010914_2151731295168344_815985172478222715_n(1).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 415260601_297801096183503_2444668295392827971_n.jpg
    415260601_297801096183503_2444668295392827971_n.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 416316764_294358609886745_5465603900463988190_n(1).jpg
    416316764_294358609886745_5465603900463988190_n(1).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 415025477_909370640416020_1427304021305411206_n.jpg
    415025477_909370640416020_1427304021305411206_n.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 416322055_3758876244357156_8323754675342434657_n.jpg
    416322055_3758876244357156_8323754675342434657_n.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Laura - I forgot to send the pic of Muirgen aground with you at the bow - here you go.

Peter

PS - the part Laura didn't mention is we fouled our anchor at Isla Isabela. I have ear troubles and do not dive/snorkel. A young buck off a nearby catamaran was kind enough to dislodge for us. He was thrilled to get a 6-pack of Stone IPA from San Diego as payment.

Muirgen aground - San Blas.jpg

Laura - I forgot to send the pic of Muirgen aground with you at the bow - here you go.

Peter

PS - the part Laura didn't mention is we fouled our anchor at Isla Isabela. I have ear troubles and do not dive/snorkel. A young buck off a nearby catamaran was kind enough to dislodge for us. He was thrilled to get a 6-pack of Stone IPA from San Diego as payment.

View attachment 145195

Awesome.. Thanks Peter! Figured I'd let you tell your tale of woe and triumph on Isabela.

Leaving Chacala this morning. We've been buddy boating with Webbles. Cheryl and Peter have been gracious enough to let us crash their party south and we've been taking advantage of it. Cheryl has been patiently helping me with my awful Spanish and I actually maybe picking up a little. I'm hopeful anyway.
We went from Mazatlan to Isla Islabela and the Matanchen Bay near San Blas then in San Blas (stayed at Fonatur Marina) for a night) and then to Chacala.
It's been incredible days and days of beautiful sunsets and spectacular sunrises.

Isabela was interesting. We snubbed up so tight when we anchored that we were sure we'd have to dive to get unsnarled from the coral. The chain sounded like it was dragging and moving all night and it wasn't a very comfortable anchorage. But the birds and the whales were plentiful. Our anchor came up relatively easily.. snagged a couple times, but we just set a minute and it released and came up. So turned out okay in the end.

In Matanchen Bay we took the dingy in and went on a jungle tour with Weebles and another boat in the bay. I highly recommend. Through the La Tovara tour. It's about a mile up the road from the bay. Our guide Christian was incredible. If you go, ask for him if he's there.

The marina (San Blas) was incredibly priced, but careful on the depth. The bathrooms were very nice, great people. Even brought the port authority down to meet us to do the paperwork (no cost). Difficult to reach by phone though.

San Blas was definitely the essential Mexican town. Loved it. Great tacos. Found an amazing shop that sold inexpensive lightweight dresses that I have adopted as my go to

wardrobe with the heat here, so I indulged a bit. Definitely make it a place to visit if you are coming south... the plaza with the shopping, church and food is worth it alone.

Chacala was a beautiful anchorage. Went to shore for dinner and had an amazing dish thanks to Cheryl's recommendation Zanandeado. It's basically a grilled fish that they top with mustard and other stuff and grill. It was incredible. If you see it on the menu. Get it. When we were leaving.. the sunset turned the bay to fire and it was glorious.

Headed to La Cruz now.

Boy does this bring back memories. Haven't been in that area since the 1970s. We stuck our anchor in Isla Isabela, had to free dive to 60' to free it. Can't do that anymore LOL. No marina in San Blas, but the Jungle ride was there, a must do. Loved San Blas, probably the best port in Mexico back then. Oh, no docks or marinas from San Diego to Acapulco where there was a Yacht club you could tie to for $100/day/ Since we were only spending $150/month total expenses, that was outta the question.

A bit of an update:

13 January 2024,

We left Marina Mazatlan on the 13 Jan, just a short hop out the entrance to Stone Island, only about 6 or 8 miles. The entrance into/out of Marina Mazatlan can be kind of tricky with the narrow channel, shoaling, and swells breaking at the end of the breakwater, so we departed at high tide and relocated to Stone Island.
Stone Island was a little rolley as anchorages go.

Sunday, 14 January 2024,

We departed Stone Island the next day, Sunday 14 January, enroute to Isla Isabela, about 30 miles off the coast of Mexico. The trip there was really nice, although we had a port quartering swell that "swooped" us around a bit.

It was a long days run (88nm, 13.8 hours) to Isla Isabela. The island is a nature preserve, and unfortunately, it was popular. There are two areas you can anchor, on the East side on a small shelf among the rocks in about 25 to 35’ of water, and around the South side in in a small cove, about 20 to 30’ of water. The East side shelf had 4 boats already there, including one largish catamaran who was anchored bow and stern right in the middle of the shelf, with anchor bouys marking the anchor drops, and taking up about half the available anchorage. The three other boats made due with what was left . . . There wasn’t really enough room for Weebles and ourselves there, so we checked out the cove to the South. Nicer, more sheltered, but 5 boats there, including a commercial trawler with outriggers out . . . and some rocks we didn’t like on the West side of the cove . . . . yep, no go. We were prepared to continue on to Bahia Matanchen on the mainland, near San Blas, but as we would arrive towards midnight, that was not a preferred solution.
When we came back out of the cove, one of the sailboats in the “shelf” anchorage had departed. Both Weebles and Muirgen were able to shoe horn into the remaining space. Muirgen anchored in about 30 feet of water, and Weebles in 10 to15’. If you spill your coffee cup overboard, Weebles can anchor in the spillage!
The anchorage, in my opinion, sucked. There were boulders on the bottom, and our chain was moving around them and grinding sounds were constantly heard. When we set the anchor, it jerked to a stop, not a soft, or hard tug of setting in mud/sand. We held fine through the night, although when the wind shifted to onshore at about 0200, we got nervous. Not a lot of sleeping going on.

Monday, 15 January 2024,

Next morning, after deciding not to go ashore (we didn’t feel comfortable leaving the boat unoccupied) we departed. Well, we ATTEMPED to depart. Our chain was fouled. We had 100’ in the water, water depth was 29’. We pulled up about 25’, and it went taut. Waited a few minutes, it worked it’s way around THAT boulder, then another 20’ +-, till finally it came up.
We breathed a sigh of relief and moved slowly out of the anchorage.
Weebles pulled up their chain, and then discovered that with the chain straight up and down, their anchor was stuck under a rock shelf, 10’ down . . . Cheryll tried maneuvering, but couldn’t unstick the anchor. We prepared to come back in, drop me off with mask, fins, and snorkel, but a guy on a neighboring cat, (not anchorage hog) swam over and was able to free Weebles anchor! He was excited to receive a 6-pak for his assistance. Good on him!
Our trip to Bahia Matanchen was a power boaters dream, and a sailors bane! Flat seas, almost no swell, and what there was of it was from astern, and light winds, sunny, and low 80’s!
We passed the entrance into the channel into San Blas, and continued another 4 miles to Bahia Matanchen. There was one other boat there, a sailboat. Nice anchorage in about 29’ of water. (Weebles anchored in a tablespoon of water further into the bay).
On our way to Weebles for dinner, we stopped by the sailboat, Blue An’Teak, to ask them about the holding and met Alan, Anna, and son Dillon. Alan and Anna had come down from Vancouver, BC, and their son Dillon had flown in to Mazatlan and was accompanying them down to Puerto Vallarta.
During dinner with Peter and Cheryll, and later speaking to Alan and Anna, we decided to head to shore on Tuesday and take a “Jungle Tour” up the estuary into the mangrove swamp.
I’ve got to say, the next two days may have been the highlight so far of our trip!

Tuesday, 16 January, 2024,

We ran our dinghy in the short trip to the beach, hauled it up above the high tide mark and tied it to a wrecked boat. We enlisted the services of Lorenzo, a local working at a beach outfit to keep an eye on the dinghy while we were away. Then we walked about a mile up the road, starting as a sand path, and graduating into a modern 2 lane road about ¼ mile up the path.
We got to the concession doing the Jungle Tours and hired Christian, a local who has lived here all his life to run up into the mangroves.
Total costs for the day was about $62.00 usd, including boat trip, entrance fee to the “zoo”, trip to the swimming hole, and lunch at the swimming hole. Also tip to Lorenzo for keeping an eye on the dinghy for us. A bargain at that price!

The trip into the mangroves was exceptional! Lots of wildlife, crocodiles, turtles, birds galore! White Ibis, Herons of all types, and lots of other critters. The scenery was spectacular, and Christian had eyes like a hawk, and was constantly slowing down, stopping, and/or backing up to point out wildlife. A couple of other boats sped past while we were moseying along. They really REALLY missed out in our opinion.
First stop was a “zoo” at the end of a mangrove finger. Lots of crocs, small indigenous pigs, a Lynx, a Jaguer, some Cootamundra’s. And lots of crocs . . . did I already mention them?
From there we went back in the boat, then on up another finger to the swimming hole and restaurant. The swimming hole is a natural occuring spring, but not cold. Sparkling clear water, maybe 75+ degrees, and very nice! The restaurant overlooked the spring, and was . . . rustic. But really nice. Food was good, not great, but good, and reasonably priced, service was good. After we finished eating, and gabbing, we went back to the boat. Christian moved a little quicker heading back, with twists and turns taken at speed, which got interesting when we met other boats headed upstream! Thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I rate it highly! Just make sure you do the Jungle tour from Bahia Matanchen, not the one from from San Blas, which goes up another channel, and we’ve heard from several people is not as long, nor as good.

Wednesday, 17 January 2024,

We ran by dingy 4.3nm around the point, and into San Blas. We got dingy gas at the Pemex dock, then on a wild hair, we went to Marina Fonatur, and were able to procure moorage at the marina for the night. Back to the dinghy, back to the boats, fire them up and in we go. The channel is kind of tight, and the charts are not what I would call accurate. Weebles went first, having the lesser draft, she turned hard once and tried another route. We followed behind them and had no difficulties getting in. It was high tide as well. Down to the marina and to the dock. 4 people were waiting for us to help tie up! Tied up, tried to hook up to power (more on that later), then up to the marina office to square the bill. It was full Monte to get the slip! Passports, FFM, TIP, USCG Documentation, insurance, everything but blood type! Then when we finished that and paid, the Port Captain folks were waiting in the lobby to do it all again! We had called in to the Port Captain on channel 16, and didn’t realize they wanted us to check in with in person as well. Everyone, both Marina staff, and the Port Captain were exceptional, extremely polite, helpful, and a joy to work with! The slip for us for one night (50’ documented length) was $24.16! Best Marina rate ever!

We headed into town to the Mercado and to find lunch. Ate at a nice restaurant on the square, then went to the Mercado for veggies. They were closing, but stayed open for us to get what we needed, but said that they opened at 0700 in the AM and would have more selection (by the way, LARGEST cauliflower I’ve ever seen!)
Wandered around town some more, got to pet a kitty (and washed my hands thoroughly afterwards, as I didn’t want to risk problems with our cats). This is the first town we’ve visited that is what I had envisioned as a rustic Mexican town. We got some ice cream (mediocre) and Laura found a couple of really nice sun dresses at a local shop. ($16.42 each!). Then back to the boat.
About the electricity. The voltage varied between 135, and 137, and for some reason, my Victron 3600 Isolation Transformer steps it up another 5 volts. Our Victron Quattro Inverter Charger can handle from 104vac to 140vac, ish, but wouldn’t kick in with the 141vac or so that it was getting, so no shore power. We ran into the same problem in Mazatlan. Part of the day the voltage was down to about 132, then occasionally spiked to about 136, causing our Quattro to kick off line. Minor inconvenience since our solar more than kept up. We took advantage of the fresh water at the dock to spray off the boat and solar panels though!

Thursday 18 January 2024,

Next day we headed back into town to the Mercado, did some more reprovisioning, wandered around some more, then ate at a taco restaurant that came recommended. EXCELLENT taco’s! Three taco’s each, all the trimmin’s including fried pork rinds, pico de gallo, and whole jalepeno’s (tasty, but not too spicey). Including soda’s, came to about $8.00 usd.
We went back to the shop and Laura picked up three more dresses! Great deal.
Back to the Marina, the tide was half in, and still flooding, we left the dock, and about 200’ off the dock we ran aground on a mudbank. It was charted . . . . just not at that location . . . . we had run up on her going slow, so we were able to back off and get into deeper water. Embarassing though. Peter and Cheryll were still on the dock, and got some local knowledge from the port guys. We followed Weebles out and had an uneventful trip to Chacala, about 22 miles down the coast, aside from a bunch of mangrove “babies” floating offshore. Clumps from 6” across to 6’ across! They float around, and when the touch shore, they start another mangrove forest. We arrived at Chacala, anchored in 29’ of water, sandy bottom, good holding. Took Weebles dinghy into boat ramp, pulled boat up and tied off. Walked along the beach for awhile and then went up and had dinner just off the beach. Nice. Beautiful sunset as well!

Friday, January 19 2024,

Departed Chacala at around 0800, now enroute to La Cruz, Bandara Bay, MX. I put out one and line, and within 20 minutes caught a 48” bull Dorado. He’s in the freezer now. Laura made me take in the line due to there being no more room in the freezer, what with all the Tuna and Dorado in there. Plan for La Cruz is to anchor out, head into town tomorrow, possibly rent a car, go into Puerto Vallarta, Costco, visit a place that makes chocolate called Planet Cocao. They show you from beans, processing etc. Should be nice! More later . . .

La Cruz spent the first night at anchor. Then went into the marina for five days because we were still having fridge problems. Plus our 18 year old cat was not doing well. Tracked down a repair guy thanks to Peter on Weebles. The repair didn't seem to do much good, so we ended up buying a small fridge. It should get us through this journey.
Unfortunately,it was Frau's(our 18 year old cat) time to go and with that help of a fellow cruiser we were able to track down a vet and help her cross the rainbow bridge. Our boat is definitely feeling the void without her grumpy voice complaining and her sweet cuddles.
We were fortunate enough to have Peter and Cheryll on Weebles invite us over to dinner and ply us with Painkillers and some great conversation and laughter that helped make a really sucky day much more bearable.
We did get resupplied in La Cruz and enjoyed a great tour at Planeta Cacao.

Highly recommend it if you all get to Pueto Vallarta make reservations and do the long tour and Planeta Cacao. You get to learn all about chocolate and get to roast your own beans, grind and make your own chocolate treat. It's well worth the time and money. https://planetacacao.mx/

From there we went to Chamela just overnight. Long enough to jump in the water and clean off the prop. The controllable pitch propeller hates even the smallest bit of stuff on it. Water was wonderful and we got to try out the new deck shower/wash down pump Scot installed. Yeah, I'll keep him around for awhile.. he's just so handy!!

Then we headed to Tenacatita. We enjoyed drinks at the little beach bar and then the next day we took a trip up the river through the mangroves to the town of Tenacatita. It was more of a line of food trucks with lots of chairs, tables and umbrellas than a town. The mangroves were so tight in places felt like we were going to see Indiana Jones pop out. Was a cool time though.

Two days later we left and went towards Barra de Navidad ended up anchoring in Bahia Melaque. Didn't want to do the lagoon because of depth. It's gorgeous here. We were the only boat except for the pangas for the first day, now there's a sailboat.

We met Peter and Cheryll in town with some friends of theirs and did a little shopping. Today we will go to the marina where they are to enjoy the pool before heading out tomorrow.

Onward....

Attachments

• 416425366_274723165442220_8673758951082557651_n.jpg
    416425366_274723165442220_8673758951082557651_n.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 416420785_737306398358410_2565855071375927915_n.jpg
    416420785_737306398358410_2565855071375927915_n.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 414999048_906782854651858_7429248144281804778_n.jpg
    414999048_906782854651858_7429248144281804778_n.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 416303304_1434028747201414_6821328502583871480_n.jpg
    416303304_1434028747201414_6821328502583871480_n.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 416557848_247798685033468_6242067923652898181_n.jpg
    416557848_247798685033468_6242067923652898181_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 415260598_971451427829279_1940916667659422319_n(1).jpg
    415260598_971451427829279_1940916667659422319_n(1).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 416392683_1062737404837997_9136328221431879316_n.jpg
    416392683_1062737404837997_9136328221431879316_n.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 416487723_292651073826773_5503020983010655659_n.jpg
    416487723_292651073826773_5503020983010655659_n.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 31
  • 415129517_1717886768704155_6642097758190964121_n.jpg
    415129517_1717886768704155_6642097758190964121_n.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 35
La Cruz spent the first night at anchor. Then went into the marina for five days because we were still having fridge problems. Plus our 18 year old cat was not doing well. Tracked down a repair guy thanks to Peter on Weebles. The repair didn't seem to do much good, so we ended up buying a small fridge. It should get us through this journey.
Unfortunately,it was Frau's(our 18 year old cat) time to go and with that help of a fellow cruiser we were able to track down a vet and help her cross the rainbow bridge. Our boat is definitely feeling the void without her grumpy voice complaining and her sweet cuddles.
We were fortunate enough to have Peter and Cheryll on Weebles invite us over to dinner and ply us with Painkillers and some great conversation and laughter that helped make a really sucky day much more bearable.
We did get resupplied in La Cruz and enjoyed a great tour at Planeta Cacao.

Highly recommend it if you all get to Pueto Vallarta make reservations and do the long tour and Planeta Cacao. You get to learn all about chocolate and get to roast your own beans, grind and make your own chocolate treat. It's well worth the time and money. https://planetacacao.mx/

From there we went to Chamela just overnight. Long enough to jump in the water and clean off the prop. The controllable pitch propeller hates even the smallest bit of stuff on it. Water was wonderful and we got to try out the new deck shower/wash down pump Scot installed. Yeah, I'll keep him around for awhile.. he's just so handy!!

Then we headed to Tenacatita. We enjoyed drinks at the little beach bar and then the next day we took a trip up the river through the mangroves to the town of Tenacatita. It was more of a line of food trucks with lots of chairs, tables and umbrellas than a town. The mangroves were so tight in places felt like we were going to see Indiana Jones pop out. Was a cool time though.

Two days later we left and went towards Barra de Navidad ended up anchoring in Bahia Melaque. Didn't want to do the lagoon because of depth. It's gorgeous here. We were the only boat except for the pangas for the first day, now there's a sailboat.

We met Peter and Cheryll in town with some friends of theirs and did a little shopping. Today we will go to the marina where they are to enjoy the pool before heading out tomorrow.

Onward....

Boy does this bring back memories. We traveled thru here in the early 1970s, no GPS, just hand drawn charts of these great anchorages. No marinas, docks, cities, buildings except the occasional palm roofed Palapa selling cold Beer. Can't bring back those old days but I suspect it is just as gorgeous as ever. Enjoy it while you can.

Peace to Frau, and to her crewmates. 18 years is a good run, and it seems that hers were interesting years, to boot.

Well, I guess I should update this before we actually leave Mexico.

We left our anchorage in Bahia Melaque on the 2 of Feb. Leaving behind Weebles and a piece of our heart with our buddy boaters Peter and Cheryll as we needed to speed things up a bit. We originally had planned on going into Zihuatanejo, but like most of our plans, it changed part way through the trip and we ended up going on to Acapulco. When we first arrived we couldn't reach Vincente who has the moorings so we just anchored out in the inner harbor and then relocated to the mooring when he contacted us.

Fabulous guy, when ended up being on the moorings until Feb 6th, because wouldn't you know it when we got to Acapulco the insurance company that had said the survey we had done previously was good for offshore insurance changed their mind and wanted a new survey. Of course, since Acapulco is still recovering from that terrible hurricane they had, there is no surveyors locally right now. So we decided to go to Chiapas rather then miss our weather window and work on it there.

Feb 6th The Gulf of Techuantepec was interesting. Overall, it was smooth enough that we didn't have to put out paravanes, but we had about 6 hours of some rather sporty weather. I have discovered something rather interesting. Apparently I can sleep in rough seas...if I have a cat wedged on either side of me, because when I went down to check on them and was cuddling them for some comfort that's all it took and I got a solid four hours, probably would have gotten more if a closet door hadn't popped opened.

One crazy thing that happened while we were crossing was we had a whole flock a frigate birds land on the outrigger lines and railings.. ended up with 84 of them on the boat and another 8-10 in a holding pattern before chasing them off. Did you know that they can stay in the air for up to 2 months before resting? Quite amazing and strange.. and yes we had quite a mess to clean up when we got to Chiapas.

Arrived Marina Chiapas 9th Feb. Marina Chiapas has been a great place to land. Rolf the office manager/everything guy up here is amazing and super helpful. The first part of the journey here was pretty stressful for us trying to get the insurance stuff squared away and vet stuff for our two cats.

We found a surveyor in Guatemala that was SAMS certified. John Brandes. He was able to come quickly and for much much more than it would have cost us if they would have just said yes you are going to need a new survey the 10-15 times we asked it prior to leaving the states and more populated areas in Mexico. We were able to get an in water survey done. Scot can go into more details if he wants on that because it was back and forth on in water/ out of water this and that... but the end result we have insurance to go through the Panama canal and around to Florida that costs more than it should, has to high of deductible and doesn't do as much as we need, but whatever. The joys of boat ownership.

We did manage to find a great vet (Ronell Alden) who will come to the boat to give us the health certificates for the cats. Though he didn't speak English we were fortunate that a fellow boater helped us since our Spanish is pathetic. He did have his mother-in-law with him who spoke English too. He gave us all we needed for the cats and gave us a great price.

Anyway.. Those were our two big stressors and both have gotten sorted. We did have a great time in Chiapas due to a couple of things. The first one being that it's a small world and many years ago Scot sold his old flight helmet to a Mexican Naval Pilot who happened to be training in the states. This gentlemen just happens to be station here and over the years they've kept in touch. When we knew we were coming down here, Scot contacted Angel to let him know. Our first weekend here, he pick us up both days and took us up in the mountains here to show us some of the amazing country side. Definitely made the trip here super incredible.

Also, I told Scot he needed to clear some of the fish out freezer if he wanted to keep fishing. So we did a couple of tuna grilling with anyone in the marina here that wanted to join in and bring some sides. It was a great way to meet some our fellow boaters and empty some freezer space sitting around the pool.

Today we will be doing all the clearing and tonight we will take off for Bahia Del Sol in El Salvador. Scot changed his mind about going straight through to Panama... so we will get a few day reprieve in the journey..... 3991 miles down... 2785 miles to go...

Attachments

• 426202844_258791587309973_5580246178996156368_n.jpg
    426202844_258791587309973_5580246178996156368_n.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 426200105_436159335418867_6065506292136811906_n.jpg
    426200105_436159335418867_6065506292136811906_n.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 426180497_947008177215874_3544945928670858582_n.jpg
    426180497_947008177215874_3544945928670858582_n.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 31
  • 426586737_2069587060068925_2702068151375990063_n.jpg
    426586737_2069587060068925_2702068151375990063_n.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 426351700_360282966837005_6860315467212407544_n.jpg
    426351700_360282966837005_6860315467212407544_n.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 426166560_2120767954928759_5262420340529261925_n.jpg
    426166560_2120767954928759_5262420340529261925_n.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 416743318_1549983359157135_7185889755191970556_n.jpg
    416743318_1549983359157135_7185889755191970556_n.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 426092951_1877993382641759_7891530270776529601_n.jpg
    426092951_1877993382641759_7891530270776529601_n.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 426162917_411054944740337_1588026922188471121_n.jpg
    426162917_411054944740337_1588026922188471121_n.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 426156174_930133468762031_6380281877525857040_n.jpg
    426156174_930133468762031_6380281877525857040_n.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 32
Belated Update:

We left La Cruz enroute down the coast, ending up in Barra de Navidad, in company with Cheryll and Peter on Weebles. Weebles found a slip in the marina, but they didn’t have room for us, so we anchored in Melaque Bay, about 2.4 miles dinghy ride from Barra de Navidad Marina. We dinghied over a couple of days to enjoy the pool with Weebles in Barra de Navidad. I would seriously consider a fly in vacation to Barra de Navidad! You can fly into Manzanillo, MX and take a bus or taxi to Barra Navidad. Wonderful marina and resort, short 20 pesos water taxi ride to town of Barra de Navidad, and a 25 minute bus ride to the town of Malaque, ashore of where we anchored.

Malaque: There is no dinghy dock in Malaque, so we took kayaks into the beach. It is a surf landing and departure, so can be kind of wet! The town is much larger than Barra de Navidad, offering much more with respect to dining, and reprovisioning, however we found Barra de Navidad much cleaner overall, and still with many dining/shopping opportunities.

After several days, we parted company with Peter and Cheryll of Weebles as our schedule/general plan was more accelerated than Weebles. We headed South to Acapulco, arriving there on 3 February.

Then the phun started . . . .

Belated Update:

We left La Cruz enroute down the coast, ending up in Barra de Navidad, in company with Cheryll and Peter on Weebles. Weebles found a slip in the marina, but they didn’t have room for us, so we anchored in Melaque Bay, about 2.4 miles dinghy ride from Barra de Navidad Marina. We dinghied over a couple of days to enjoy the pool with Weebles in Barra de Navidad. I would seriously consider a fly in vacation to Barra de Navidad! You can fly into Manzanillo, MX and take a bus or taxi to Barra Navidad. Wonderful marina and resort, short 20 pesos water taxi ride to town of Barra de Navidad, and a 25 minute bus ride to the town of Malaque, ashore of where we anchored.

Malaque: There is no dinghy dock in Malaque, so we took kayaks into the beach. It is a surf landing and departure, so can be kind of wet! The town is much larger than Barra de Navidad, offering much more with respect to dining, and reprovisioning, however we found Barra de Navidad much cleaner overall, and still with many dining/shopping opportunities.

After several days, we parted company with Peter and Cheryll of Weebles as our schedule/general plan was more accelerated than Weebles. Tears were falling, but Peter finally pulled it together as he was distraught about loosing company with our floating Chandlery! We headed South to Acapulco, arriving there on 3 February.

Then the phun started . . . .

We had contacted our insurance broker prior to reaching Acapulco, requesting that he initiate the next leg of our insurance, the offshore part that would cover us from Acapulco through the Panama Canal, and through the Caribbean to Florida . . . .

Prior to departing the PNW, we were assured that we would not require a new vessel survey until after reaching Florida . . . .
But apparently the insurance companies requirement . . . . changed. We now needed a new survey to bind the next leg of our trip . . . . We were Acapulco, we DID have Mexican liability insurance through to Chiapas, Mexico, but the hull insurance stopped once we went past Acapulco . . . . .

There are NO marine services available in Acapulco due to the damage from Hurrican Otis. None at all. Even the surveyors have left, moving temporarily to other locations where they can get work.

Long story short. We continued onto Chiapas, and obtained an in-water survey here in Chiapas. We had to fly in a S.A.M.s surveryor from Rio Dulce, Guatamala. Overall cost of the survey, with transportation was in the $4k range . . . . . for a survey we shouldn’t have had to do . . . . Insurance was bound for over $6k, at a much reduced hull value, $25.5k deductible, no dinghy coverage, very little in personal belongings, and a list of exclusions a mile long. Including Colombia. I understand that offshore mainland Colombia is a little dicey right now, but we were intending on stopping in either Isle de Providencia, or Isla de San Andres for a few days to break up the trip to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. Added cost just to touch base and refuel if necessary in one of the two islands is apparently an ADDITIONAL $350/stop . . . . Yeah. . . . our broker is doing what he can, but that insurance company won’t be on my Christmas card list . . . ever.

Anyway, over $10k later, and how much more “over” still remains to be seen, we have poor vessel insurance through to Florida.

Back to Acapulco, we initially anchored off of Isla la Roqueta, just outside Acapulco harbor proper. It is a nice little anchorage, but tight, and lots of small anchors/buoys in the best spots. Vincentes contacted us shortly after we’d anchored, and we pulled up the hook, and proceeded into Acapulco Harbor, tying up to a mooring in 60 feet of water, off of the the remains of the largest marina . . . . utter devastation. We stayed there three nights. We elected not to go ahore, as we didn’t need anything, and we didn’t feel too comfortable with the reports we had from ashore. There was a murder on the waterfront in broad daylight the 2nd day we were there. Plus over 200 cases of Dengue Fever ashore. Lots of work needs to be done before Acapulco is “Cruisers ready” again. Vincentes was fabulous! The moorings were about 300 pesos a night with the Panama Posse discount. He met us there, helped us to get secured, and took trash ashore for us. He can arrange gasoline, diesel, water, food, etc. He can also provide transportation to and from shore in his boat with prior coordination. A thoroughly delightful person! Please avail yourself of his services if you go there. He took a tremendous hit, both personally and financially from Hurricane Otis, and any business you can send his way would be a blessing.

On 3 Feb, we contacted Erick, a Panama Canal Agent recommended through the Panama Posse for assistance on our upcoming transit. He get back to us immediately, we filled out his questionaire, submitted info, documents, and photos as requested for our vessel “Virtual Measurement”, which is required unless your vessel has previously transited the Canal, and you have the SIN number.
On 4 Feb, our Virtual Measurement was approved, SIN number issued (This is the first time we’ve ever had to have a number so we can commit a SIN!) and a transit date of 19 March reserved!
We departed Acapulco on 6 Feb. Since the Wx was cooperating, we continued straight to Chiapas, MX. 4 days. We crossed Golfo de Tehauntepec, missing the Tehauntepecker winds. We crossed “one foot on shore” around to Chiapas.

We were descended upon (literally) by 84 Frigate Birds enroute one morning (I counted them) with a bird on every horizontal surface of the boat, even the guy wires for the outriggers, with another 8 10 birds in a holding pattern over the boat awaiting landing clearance. Beautiful birds . . . . but they made a hot mess all over the boat! Lots of cleanup after arriving in Chiapas!

Arrived Chiapas on 9 February. We were early, having picked up a 2 kt current boost we weren’t expecting, so we had to loiter off of the entrance for a few hours waiting for daylight, even after slowing way down enroute.

Chiapas Marina, and Tapachula are great. The marina is a little isolated, requiring a bus ride, a taxi ride, or whatever to pretty much anything, but there is a restaurant at the marina, Baos, good food, but a little pricey. There is a small convenience store at the marina, and a pool with BBQ grill available to users of the marina. They have an 80 ton travel lift with a dry storage yard that allows work to be done on your boat. Moorage is reasonable at $0.50/foot plus tax and electricity. Fuel is available less than ½ mile away, we took on 200 gallons at $5.81/gallon, just as a “feel good” for the trip to Panama City.

Note: They are seriousl about procedures. You MUST call the Port Captain prior to movement of any kind. They WILL do a full Monte check in, complete with dog. Either a drug sniffing dog, or a dog who has been sniffing drugs, not really sure as he was all over the place. The check in guy, and the Army personnel who had the dog were very polite and professional. On time, quick, etc.

Rolf in the Marina Office is a gem. Also Ronny on the docks. The speak English and are a pleasure to do business with.

We had the bottom and running gear cleaned for $1,500 pesos, about $82.00. Didn’t really need it, but had it done anyway. Our CPP is pretty sensitive to any growth.

We are departing this evening heading South. We will be in loose company with three other boats, Summer Dreams, Tidings of Joy, and Splinters. We’ll update more after next leg. Fair Winds and Following Seas all!

Great posts and thanks for the updates. We miss you both and glad things are moving along for you.

What's your plan for heading north up the Caribbean since Colombia is to the east and Procidencia/San Andres islands are Colombia flagged? Nicuraugua is worse. We're still unsure how Weebles does the last 1/3rd of the trip - northbound up the Caribbean. One option is spend time in the San Blas islands (for those unfamiliar, east out of the canal towards Colombia), then the Bocas del Toros (north from the canal near Costa Rica). From there its just a couple hundred miles to Providencia and San Andres. Cayman is around 350 nms and keeps well clear of Nicaragua. We will carry liability insurance only so less of a concern.

We are about 4-5 weeks behind you at this point. We've met so many people and just marvel at how much fun we're having. Keep posting - good information.

Peter (and Cheryll)

Peter, we haven't figured out yet how we are going to handle it. We still have a request in to the insurance company asking them to get their heads out of their . . . .you know . . . . and allow us to go into Providencia or San Andres without charging us exorbitant additional premiums for the privilege. Maybe they should use some of those premiums to learn how to read a map:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Well done with the cruise so far, I’m enjoying the updates. I hope all goes well for the remainder of the cruise

Belated Update:.....................
We are departing this evening heading South. We will be in loose company with three other boats, Summer Dreams, Tidings of Joy, and Splinters. We’ll update more after next leg. Fair Winds and Following Seas all!

Great travelogue. I read the whole thing. Your Acapulco visit caught my attention. In the early 60's my parents would fly of to Acapulco for 2 weeks every winter leaving my sister and I in Detroit. The stories and photographs were captivating. Then referred to as "The Pearl of the Pacific". As oer my Mother an elederly, somewhat flabby Johnny Weissmuller stayed/lived at their hotel. He still cut the water like a knife in the pool. I understand Acapulco has grown up and succumbed to much of what plagues urban Mexico. Que lastima!

Our broker went to bat for us, and got the insurance company to cover both San Andres and Providencia at no additional premium! Yaahhhh!

We are 27.7 miles out from the Bar Pilot holding area for crossing the bar into Bahia Del Sol. High tide is around 4:30 pm. They will take us in one at a time. We were told to expect 4 to 5' of breaking waves going over the bar . . . . :eek: Should be interesting!

A piece of cake but there is still a pucker factor. We hit 10 plus knots on the way in. Give our best to Bill and Jean.

Attachments

• IMG_8686.jpg
    IMG_8686.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 29
Very nice image, Larry. Is your hull speed around 8kn?

Here’s a a shot from yesterday of Muirgen crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol. It looks a little sporty.

Attachments

• IMG_8691.jpeg
    IMG_8691.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Larry, that's a great pic of one of the few moments when we were in control! Where did you get it?

The seas were in our favor for the trip to Bahia Del Sol. The military arrived early at the dock to search us. I guess they are at the end of their budget for fuel in their vehicle so the 10:30 request for search, became a 9 for us and we were searched and off the dock by 9:30. It put us way ahead of schedule, because we had allowed extra time hearing stories on how they had been several hours late before, so we had to slow way down over the course of days.

All in all, the trip was uneventful and we will take that as a blessing and a hope for many more trips like that. We ran the whole trip with either no paravanes or just one paravane out which decreases our chances of catching a long line and there were several along the way. They are lit in Guatemala and El Salvador, but how they are lit is still a bit of mystery to us. If our paravanes are not out we will just cruise right over the top of them, so makes it easier especially at night.

We had the unique opportunity to have the company of 3 other boats from the Panama posse with us. One of them the whole time. It is so nice to be able to reach out and talk with someone in the middle of the night. Have missed that since we parted from Weebles.

We arrived at the bar by Bahia Del Sol almost an hour and twenty minutes early and so we had to wait outside until high tide and the panga came out to get us. They were bringing another boat out for that further delayed things. Finally our time had arrived.It was a little interesting going in. Scot did an excellent job and with the help of the bow thruster kept us on track, but it wasn't any fun in my book. Really hate that loosy goosy feeling of the boat when it wants to go sideways.... But we are here. Now we just have to figure out weather to get us down to Panama. Looks like anyway we crack it, we are going to have some sporty weather for several hours at least in one area if not two. Later...

Attachments

• 426287639_421128023658217_4179224639193299822_n.jpg
    426287639_421128023658217_4179224639193299822_n.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 426629028_718664233728146_8027660279740546493_n.jpg
    426629028_718664233728146_8027660279740546493_n.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 426031483_1048272039577111_2773193308886900365_n.jpg
    426031483_1048272039577111_2773193308886900365_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 426073232_290647040472824_8018942673575329600_n.jpg
    426073232_290647040472824_8018942673575329600_n.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 426606522_1108241933698601_3989045339263145028_n.jpg
    426606522_1108241933698601_3989045339263145028_n.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 26
  • 426146176_761784912194915_6405091943883624978_n.jpg
    426146176_761784912194915_6405091943883624978_n.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 426715908_771112157862750_7907256326768000868_n.jpg
    426715908_771112157862750_7907256326768000868_n.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 426069810_783526186925169_6004526437569313446_n.jpg
    426069810_783526186925169_6004526437569313446_n.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
As shown above, Muirgen made it into Bahia del Sol in El Salvador yesterday. Bill met us offshore and in a panga, guided us through the bar. It was . . . . interesting . . . . more on that later.
We are currently tied up in at Bahia Del Sol Hotel (Marina).
We were met on the dock by Jean (Bill's wife, and Anita (Bill and Jean's daughter) with complimentary drinks! I suspect they figured you needed it after crossing the bar.
One of the other boats that came down with us, Tidings of Joy, a 2007 Defever had a more interesting time. They broached twice in about 5' breaking waves! :eek:
Turns out they have fin stabilizers, that, while trying to keep the boat on an even keel, actually turned the boat 90 degrees to the incoming breaking waves! Jeff figured out the problem, and locked the stabilizers to straight travel, and regained steerage. Scary as hell, and furniture, etc went everywhere! Lesson learned for them I suspect. I think they needed the drinks at the dock more than the rest of us!:thumb:

Check-in was pretty simple. Immigration met us at the dock, took our passports and boat papers, then we followed them up to the Immigration office. Immigration check in is $12.00/person, payable in cash. Visa or Port Fee is $1.00/day, 30 day minimum, for $30/month.
Note: They take your Zarpe from your previous departure point. We were told in MX to not surrender the original of your Zarpe, but we had no choice. We have scanned copies, so we should be good though.
Across the walkway to the Hotel/Marina Office. Moorage is $0.50/foot/day, so for us, at registered 50', we pay $25.00/day, no tax, which includes water and electricity!:dance: Seven day stay gets you a free crossing of the bar, which otherwise costs $50 each direction.
This area doesn't have a lot of amenities, we'll explore later today and over the next few days, but frankly, we don't really need re-provisioning, other than fresh stuff.

On that, we didn't bring much fresh stuff from Chiapas, not being sure what they allowed us to bring into El Salvador, but they never even boarded the boat. Never asked about pets either, although we had their shot records/health certs on hand.
The current really rips through the marina, probably 4 to 5 knots at it's peak.

Diesel is $4.25 usd/gallon. We shouldn't have added any fuel in Chiapas, at $5.81 per gallon!:nonono:
Overall, in what little we've seen here, it seems like a really nice place! More later

Scot
Your comment on stabilizers and following seas brings to mind a boating 101 issue for many vessels. In breaking stern seas turn the stabilizers off or lock them and use plenty of power to provide rudder control.

On our DF I shut down the stabilizers often in these conditions, it makes a world of difference whether entering an inlet or on AP. When piloting a SD vessel with stabilizers it seems to make less of difference.

This particular point is a strong reason to consider a Seakeeper type system when doing a new build.

I learn something every day. I didn't know about turning off stabilizers but it makes sense. I found when setting up my Simrad autopilot for following seas that the stabilizers fought the autopilot (or vice versa).

Scot/Laura - please thank Tidings of Joy for the education. We will be thinking of them when we go to Bahia del Sol in a month or so

Peter

Scot
Your comment on stabilizers and following seas brings to mind a boating 101 issue for many vessels. In breaking stern seas turn the stabilizers off or lock them and use plenty of power to provide rudder control.

On our DF I shut down the stabilizers often in these conditions, it makes a world of difference whether entering an inlet or on AP. When piloting a SD vessel with stabilizers it seems to make less of difference.

This particular point is a strong reason to consider a Seakeeper type system when doing a new build.
Also helpful is towing a drogue, like the SeaBrake, in following seas/bar conditions. Big reduction in broaching potential and with power for helm control, speed is still only 4-5 knots.

Back
Top Bottom