PNW to Mexico, Panama Canal, and Florida, on our way at last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just pulled into Fiddler's Cove Marina in San Diego.

Welcome to Fiddler's! Excited to see your boat around the marina and follow your journey! Hope to run into you around the docks!

-Rick & Sarah

I have a normal American yacht policy through seafarers. It lists my cruising limits and has never been questioned by any marina in Mexico and I have been to several.

Your auto might be different. I buy Mexican liability insurance through baja bound even though I carry safeco insurance in America that will cover Mexico.

Welcome to Fiddler's! Excited to see your boat around the marina and follow your journey! Hope to run into you around the docks!

-Rick & Sarah

Stop by and see us.. .we are here working on the boat.

Need to correct what I posted above, as I neglected to add in the 54 gallons of fuel we burned prior to fueling in Neah Bay. Corrected numbers (if needing correction) are posted below in red:

Some Stats from the trip from Port Orchard, WA to San Diego

• Total sea days: 12
  • Total days, including WX days in Bodega Harbor: 15
  • Total nautical miles: 1268
  • Total engine hours: 194.3
  • Average speed: 6.53 kts
  • Total fuel burned: 470 gallons 524 gallons
  • Fuel burn, (gph): 2.42 2.698 gph
  • Average nautical miles/gallon: 2.69 2.419 nmpg
Not too bad for a 90,000 lb, 41 year old boat! :thumb: :D
Great numbers Peter!

Okay, I think I'm going to open a can of worms here, but here goes.
We're planning on departing San Diego tomorrow morning enroute to Ensenada, MX. According to the CBP website:

Pleasure Boats -Do I need to contact CBP when I depart the United States?

Whenever you depart the United States by pleasure boat/small vessel to a foreign country, you must obtain clearance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before departing. If you were issued a cruising license to cruise the U.S. territorial waters, you must clear your departure with CBP before proceeding to a foreign location.

No vessel which has arrived within the limits of any Customs port from a foreign port or place shall depart or attempt to depart, except from stress of weather or other necessity, without reporting and making entry as required. These requirements shall not apply to vessels merely passing through waters within the limits of a Customs port in the ordinary course of a voyage. See, 19 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) § 4.60.

Note: Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States.
For more information on pleasure boats, visit the cbp.gov website.

Article Number

Date Published
6/21/2023

I called the San Diego CBP office, and they waffled, saying, "most people don't bother", and "you probably won't need it", but it IS a requirement according to their website . . . .

Anyone (Calling Kevin, and Peter Weebles!) have an issue with it, or with not having it?
I'm more concerned with departing Mexico enroute to Panama, and having a paper trail on board, than just clearing into Mexico . . . .

I always wondered if the US had some sort of Zarpe requirement. Apparently they do. I have transited from US to Mexico by boat about 7-8 times in the last 5-years, and at least a dozen times 20-years ago. I have never 'checked out' of the US, and it's never been a problem for me, including checking into Mexico in Acapulco which, unlike Ensenada, probably doesn't have many US check-ins since it's 1500nms south of the border.

That said, checking into any country (US included) can be a bit fickle and dependent on who you draw as a customs/aduana agent. Since you're checking-in at Ensenada, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's super easy to get. If you were checking-in further south, I would be more inclined to get one just to cover the base.

I'll ask around - if I turn-up something different, I'll update here.

Peter

EDIT - well, I looked at an old copy of Latitude 38's "First Timers Guide to Mexico." More or less mirrors what I said above - here is the text:

Technically, Mexico requires a despacho from
boats coming down from the States. In reality, we’ve never
gotten one or been asked for one in the 30+ times our boats
have checked into Mexico. And we’ve only heard of a couple
of boats that have been asked for them. In times when Mexican offi cials have requested them, they’ve never insisted on
them.

If you want to be a Dudley Do-Right and get a despacho/
zarpe from the U.S., you need to get Customs and Border
Patrol Form 1300 from http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_
Form_1300.pdf. Fill it out, then take it to an international
airport and have it stamped by Customs.

There is just one slight problem. Form 1300 is for commercial vessels only, and you probably don’t have a commercial
vessel. So Customs may or may not be willing to sign it.

If you ask the Coast Guard, they will tell you that you don’t
need a despacho/zarpe for Mexico. And as we said, we’ve
never needed one.

Last edited:
"Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement"

I once came back from Catalina Island and was stopped by CBP in long beach, they were on board LB police vessel.

they asked to search my vessel and i asked if I can refuse. The answer was NO. they continued to say that traveling from Avalon to long beach i have passed through international waters and that gives them the right to board.

for those that are not from so cal, FYI there are thousands of vessels voyaging those waters and i assure you CBP doesn't get even one call.

Peter, thanks so much. I think we're just going to forego the Form 1300. I too noticed that it appeared to be only for commercial vessels, but the CBP website specifically stated checkout was necessary for pleasure craft. I'll call in to San Diego CBP tomorrow AM and clear out verbally, noting the time, the phone # and the agents name in my log. That should be sufficient. Wish us luck!:D

No issue at all, and I have been in and out of Mexico and Canada

Come to Ensenada.
Call the marina when close to get docking help if you need it.
Dock your boat
Call the marina anbd let them know you are docked
Wait for health inspection
Go to the marina office with your documents and passports

do those things, in that order and you are good to go.

Margaritas are on us if you get here tonight

oh it looks like you'll be here tomorrow night. We are leaving for La Paz in the jeep tomorrow morning and will be back on the 15th so it looks like we'll miss you.

Kevin, you crumb! We were hoping to hook up with you tomorrow or Sunday before you went back to La Paz! We'll have to wait until the 15th. Really want to go through your and Peter's boats.

No issue at all, and I have been in and out of Mexico and Canada

Come to Ensenada.
Call the marina when close to get docking help if you need it.
Dock your boat
Call the marina anbd let them know you are docked
Wait for health inspection
Go to the marina office with your documents and passports

do those things, in that order and you are good to go.

Margaritas are on us if you get here tonight

oh it looks like you'll be here tomorrow night. We are leaving for La Paz in the jeep tomorrow morning and will be back on the 15th so it looks like we'll miss you.
When I returned from San Diego 3 weeks ago, the in-person health check has been reduced to an affidavit from the captain that all crew were healthy. Simple.

Peter

I would not go into Mexico without Mexican Liability insurance if you have a accident or spill you will be held in custody until the case is resolved and Safeco is not coming down to Mexico to work with them also they will not let you into any marina with out proof of Mexican Liability insurance
Have fun and a safe journey
I arrived in Ensenada Mexico August from Tacoma

I would not go into Mexico without Mexican Liability insurance if you have a accident or spill you will be held in custody until the case is resolved and Safeco is not coming down to Mexico to work with them also they will not let you into any marina with out proof of Mexican Liability insurance
Have fun and a safe journey
I arrived in Ensenada Mexico August from Tacoma

We have that, as discussed previously, but thanks for the reminder!

No vessel which has arrived within the limits of any Customs port from a foreign port or place shall depart or attempt to depart, except from stress of weather or other necessity, without reporting and making entry as required.
Scot, from your post. I read that to say boats that arrived from a foreign port must report when they are leaving. Kevin and Peter coming from Mexico quailfy for that but IMO you leaving the US not having entered from a foreign port do not need to report your leaving.

Scot, from your post. I read that to say boats that arrived from a foreign port must report when they are leaving. Kevin and Peter coming from Mexico quailfy for that but IMO you leaving the US not having entered from a foreign port do not need to report your leaving.

Steve, the section you are referencing deals with a boat coming into a US port from a foreign country, then wanting to leave without clearing in or clearing out. The applicable section for us leaving the US and entering Mexico is:

Whenever you depart the United States by pleasure boat/small vessel to a foreign country, you must obtain clearance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before departing.

Having said that, even the supervisor I spoke to at the CBP stated that US flagged pleasure boats rarely ask for departing clearance, and the CBP doesn't enforce it . . . but they could if they so desired . . . and the requirement is clearly stated in the CFR's

Do you or others entering Canada first report your departure?

Did not know the part I quoted was not part of the same section

I read that clause differently.

To use an example, wouldn't it mean to say that "No vessel which has arrived within the limits of any Customs Port (Let's say Roche harbour Wa.) from a foreign port or place shall depart or attempt to depart, (Roche Harbour) except from stress of weather or other necessity, without reporting and making entry (at Roche harbour) as required."

In other words, you have arrived at a Customs Port, you must report at that Customs Port. You can't leave that Customs Port without reporting at that Customs Port, unless something weird is happening.

Where does it say that a foreign vessel is to report its departure?

The few burning questions that remain are:

-Whom here knows the "limits" of the usual or any Customs Port? Where do you find out what those "limits" are?

and

- What is defined as "other necessity"?

Plus, how does the requirement to use the Roam App. affect this clause, if at all?

To me, the words are clear - here they are again:

Whenever you depart the United States by pleasure boat/small vessel to a foreign country, you must obtain clearance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before departing.​
The requirement is broadly ignored by recreational vessels and not enforced by US CBP. But the requirement is clear. Frankly, it's one of the most concise and least ambiguous passages I've ever read in a government document.

Peter

We tried, in person, to get a check out document leaving Ketchikan for Prince Rupert. New Zealand crew on a US flagged vessel.
The officers said sorry we know you probably should be able to help, but we can't.
Have a nice trip.

To me, the words are clear - here they are again:

Whenever you depart the United States by pleasure boat/small vessel to a foreign country, you must obtain clearance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before departing.​
The requirement is broadly ignored by recreational vessels and not enforced by US CBP. But the requirement is clear. Frankly, it's one of the most concise and least ambiguous passages I've ever read in a government document.

Peter

Peter, I'm totally in agreement with the above. It's pretty black and white!
To get a clearance, we would have had to arrange a ride to San Diego Airport, Terminal 2, Customs and Immigration. According to the CBP Supervisor I spoke to, all I needed to bring was my Federal Documentation, and ID, and my next intended port of call. No passports, or anything else. She would have filled out the Form 1300, stamped it, and given it to me. I didn't try very hard to get a ride after doing more research, but I WILL call them when we depart and note that call info in my log book. We're headed out in a couple of hours . . .

Scot
As you are ready to leave (or maybe have already left) this is likely not going to change your plans.
I have no personal experience relevant to your position, but:
A couple of friends, have been cruising for the past 16 years, some of that time on the east coast of the US. Their major complaint there was the requirement to check out and back in every time they left a US Customs port. This was done in their first year of cruising, so those requirements may have changed since then.
He is Canadian, she has a US passport.

Watching your whole adventure with interest.

Scot
As you are ready to leave (or maybe have already left) this is likely not going to change your plans.
I have no personal experience relevant to your position, but:
A couple of friends, have been cruising for the past 16 years, some of that time on the east coast of the US. Their major complaint there was the requirement to check out and back in every time they left a US Customs port. This was done in their first year of cruising, so those requirements may have changed since then.
He is Canadian, she has a US passport.

Watching your whole adventure with interest.

Keith, my understanding from reading the regs, and speaking with the CBP supervisor was that the CBP enforced the requirement to check out of country only with non-US flagged vessels, and pretty much ignored it with US flagged.

We've departed San Diego this morning, and are about 40 minutes out of Marina Coral in Ensenada right now. Seas were 4', 9sec mostly with occasional 5 and some 6' when the alternate swells compounded with the prevailing seas. Some sun, but mostly overcast. 73 degrees f.

We pulled into Marina Coral at around 4:00 pm today, arriving from San Diego. The seas were 4 feet plus a hair. Started out at around 3', but with the opposing swells, there were 5's and occasional 6's in there. But overall it was nice cruising. Mostly overcast, with some sun peaking thru, but about 73 degrees f or so, and just "nice". Jesus at Marina Coral was extremely helpful, but since we arrived on a Saturday after 1200, Customs and Immigration is closed. So we wait until Monday morning, go up to the Marina office at 0900, and we will be taken to the Customs and Immigration for the necessary paperwork. In the meantime, "Enjoy Ensenada!" . . . Weird . . .

In August when we left San Diego for Ensenada I contacted us about leaving Us and going to Mexico they told me we didn’t need to report leaving only entering
Also the Marina I checked in to in Mexico the Cruise port marina and they required a recent survey they wanted to make sure that you are bringing a boat that is maintained and in good condition
Woodlord

Hello SlowGoesIT. We are on the C dock at Coral Marina 48 hat LRC Nube. Hope to see you guys around! We are planning to head south hopefully in the near future.

Britt,

We'd love to see your boat! Unfortunately the gate keys work with your dock only. We're on D Dock. They sandwiched us in to a 45' slip, even when we told them we were 57' overall. The dock is okay, but the fairway leading to the slip is TIGHT!:eek:

Hello SlowGoesIT. We are on the C dock at Coral Marina 48 hat LRC Nube. Hope to see you guys around! We are planning to head south hopefully in the near future.

You are i think right down from us, maybe 4 or 5 boats.

We are on C dock C-27

Britt,

We'd love to see your boat! Unfortunately the gate keys work with your dock only. We're on D Dock. They sandwiched us in to a 45' slip, even when we told them we were 57' overall. The dock is okay, but the fairway leading to the slip is TIGHT!:eek:

If you go talk to Miriam, the team lead for the marina they will probably find you a slip that fits better.

Britt,

From my security cameras you are directly opposite us.

Seen your boat Ksanders when are you back in town? Brandon gets back in town next week hope to see you around. Brittany

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom