Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well still troubleshooting Pairadice's windlass. Received new control box and installed. It seems to engage as we have 12Vdc on the forward and reverse posts. Checked wiring. Everything checked out. Took motor apart, cleaned all contacts. Used jumper cables and tested on a battery. Worked great. Put back together. Tested before hooking up to controller. Ran great. Put all back together, pushed on foot switches, works great. Tested switch in pilot house, ran great.

Packed up tools, got adult drink. Tested and all we got was a clicking noise from the controller......

So now John is contacting an electrician. Got to be something stupid...........

Well still troubleshooting Pairadice's windlass. Received new control box and installed. It seems to engage as we have 12Vdc on the forward and reverse posts. Checked wiring. Everything checked out. Took motor apart, cleaned all contacts. Used jumper cables and tested on a battery. Worked great. Put back together. Tested before hooking up to controller. Ran great. Put all back together, pushed on foot switches, works great. Tested switch in pilot house, ran great.

Packed up tools, got adult drink. Tested and all we got was a clicking noise from the controller......

So now John is contacting an electrician. Got to be something stupid...........

Wifey B: It's simple. It's rigged like they do cars after DUI's where it won't start if you've had an adult drink. Note the sequence. Fine up to the point of the adult drink. :lol:

Wifey B: It's simple. It's rigged like they do cars after DUI's where it won't start if you've had an adult drink. Note the sequence. Fine up to the point of the adult drink. [emoji38]
Wifey, you maybe on to something.....

The Admiral all ready for the Ketchikan summer!!!! Opps I think that was last week! Now it is liquid sunshine.......:angel:

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 98
The sun came out here in Ketch

Attachments

• 20170602_174656.jpg
    20170602_174656.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 113
breaking news!

Ya, Bitch, bitch, bitch, one moment too wet, then the next, too dry!!:banghead: You'd think they would pull anchor and move!! O- sorry John.:rofl::lol::D

Full disclosure, enjoyed a couple of fun hours this day with Tom, John, and spouses lamenting over coffee. Nice to visit with members of the forum as we gather in way points during travels.

Al-Ketchikan

Now Al, we are just climatetizing to this wonderful Ketch summer weather.....love seeing you ahain my froend...

Now Al, we are just climatetizing to this wonderful Ketch summer weather.....love seeing you ahain my froend...

Oviously after leaving you and crew, serious other than coffee drinking took place.:angel: That or you are capilizing on Trump's use of similar words as 'covfefe'.
[see above] or a 'Tiger DUI' act.:facepalm:

Well we do what all good retired boaters do. Finish our coffee, watch Fox news and then take a nap!!!

It also comes to mind that I had a senior moment too....lol

Outta here this week. Small craft advisory today. New windlass tomorrow or Tuesday. So with so much time on my hands I found this!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496628831201.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496628831201.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 94
A special thank you to Ketchikan Al and his beautiful wife for a unforgetable dinner last night. Al you are a special friend to me and Kay.

A special thank you to Ketchikan Al and his beautiful wife for a unforgetable dinner last night. Al you are a special friend to me and Kay.

We are short a fork:banghead::rofl::rofl::lol::D

Enjoyed the opportunity:flowers:

I think John needed a spare to jump the contacts on the windlass.

New windlass installed. Working great. We are outta Ketchikan tomorrow. Ketchikan is eagle heaven.

Attachments

• 20170606_191425.jpg
    20170606_191425.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 94
With the help of Tom we replaced the windlass today. During our stay here in Ketchikan we have done lots of boat repairs.
The water pump needed to be rebuilt, the Huricane heater was acting up and we spent several days troubleshooting. Appears we had a section of hose that had failed and was leaking, this was repaired and after bleeding the air we got it to work again. The admirals new oven was not cooperating. We think we had a gas supply line that was dry rotting and causing the gas solenoid valve to close or reduce flow. After a few trips to the local hardware store a new line was installed and seems to have solved the problem.
We can finally get underway tomorrow and are excited as almost 2 weeks here in Ketchikan was starting to wear thin.

Al Johnson (Ketchikan Al)has been a life saver here and should you ever stop here in Ketchikan without at least a short meet and greet with this local legend, you would regret it. His wife prepared a very nice dinner and they opened there home to us. A collector of boats, storyteller, jack of trades and the list goes on. Thanks Al for welcoming us to your town. Hope your able to get your boat back home from Wrangle soon.

Cheers all.

All fueled up and ready to leave Ketchikan. Heading to Vixen Inlet, 55 miles north. Spot is turned on.

Attachments

• 20170607_092259.jpg
    20170607_092259.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 87
Great story to follow. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but the only bad thing I can think of is that I'm not there.

Safe journeys.

What a beautiful day to cross Clarence Straits.

Attachments

• 20170607_113409.jpg
    20170607_113409.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 93
Almost to Wrangell. Had a great evening inVixen Inlet. Had a few shrimp in the pot and 1 crab. Tried our luck at Halibut, but caught a few bottom fish. John did a great job at navigating Zimovia Narrows.

Attachments

• 20170608_122526.jpg
    20170608_122526.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170608_105005.jpg
    20170608_105005.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170608_084509.jpg
    20170608_084509.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170608_065903.jpg
    20170608_065903.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 100
A few more pics

Attachments

• 20170608_105117.jpg
    20170608_105117.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170608_105105.jpg
    20170608_105105.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20170608_105044.jpg
    20170608_105044.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20170608_105037.jpg
    20170608_105037.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20170608_105052.jpg
    20170608_105052.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 93
Al Johnson (Ketchikan Al)has been a life saver here and should you ever stop here in Ketchikan without at least a short meet and greet with this local legend, you would regret it. His wife prepared a very nice dinner and they opened there home to us. A collector of boats, storyteller, jack of trades and the list goes on. Thanks Al for welcoming us to your town. Hope your able to get your boat back home from Wrangle soon.

Cheers all.

Let us clarify!!!::nonono: Al's Home and restaurant has gone into bankruptcy. 'Ketchikan Al' is near destitute living off the interest on the money he owes!!:blush:

Yes, I arrived home early this AM . Left Wrangell 1400 hrs Tuesday, called you guys on 16 believing you had gone to Santa Anna like the Restaurant place mat suggested. You didn't do nay better in Vixen. What in the world were you doing going in there?? Too shallow, no crab, and a wind hole were it a South east, which it is most times.
Yes you guys were blessed for weather and now you are more attuned to what 'Ketchikan Al' said about Clarence Straits can be and why Mrs Johnson's son Allen doesn't go out and about less the weather is such as you found it or a tad wilder (10knt-2' sea) From that it goes to " Holy Suckatish" in double quick time.:blush:
We made it to Meyers Chuck 2100, Chuck was full!! Lots of North bound visitors.
Left the Chuck at 0330 and had the same water as your photos reflect. in the harbor by 0900 today.

You missed the big explosion. Gas boat in the South Bar harbor blew. Looked like a terrorist attack with the huge black cloud. Can't help but think somebody is not feeling well after that.

So very happy you folks are again upon your adventure.

I did warn Wrangell about you except Bobbie the Harbor Mistress, I want her to have a first hand shock with you two.:D Sister in Law is alerted were you to activate the phone #. :flowers:

Best to both of you couple, Carol was pleased you were fed. Nice use for,when you keep the old left overs :rofl:

Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
We are safe in Wrangell. But at the Heritage dock. Reliance is full. Good thing as this is a much nicer dock. The harbor master wanted to charge us double when he heard you name Al!!! Something about too many Johnsons in Wrangell.

So ASD numbers from Port McNeill B.C. to Ketchikan.

Miles: 381
Hrs:60.2
Total fuel used (includes genny): 240 gal
MPG: 1.6
Burn: 3.9 gph (mostly at 7.5kts which is 1000 rpms)
Fuel cost per Gal: $2.56
Total fuel cost: $616.56

. The harbor master wanted to charge us double when he heard you name Al!!! Something about too many Johnsons in Wrangell.

Cheap at half the price!!:rofl::rofl::lol:

Be sure to have one meal at the Stikine Inn. If Bill Goodale [Owner] is in residence, say hello from me. That alone will increase the price!:rofl: You will not be disappointed in the quality and quantity of your order.

Ask Bobbie [Harbor Mistress] for permission to walk through the city boat haul out facilities if you have the time.Maybe post some photos of the activity. There invariable are unscheduled visiting boats that make this yards acquaintance. I am sure forum members anticipating a voyage up would have comfort viewing facilities that maybe employed.

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom