Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the south winds here (60 miles up Douglas Channel) get to 25 knots it's gotta be blowing on "the outside" :eek:

Have a relaxing couple days :thumb:

Wow! I even get sat TV here! Lost the local Portland channels in Prince Rupert, but I can still watch my favorite shows!!

Can't belive it.
A guy goes to the north coast and is thrilled to get sat tv????

Can't belive it.
A guy goes to the north coast and is thrilled to get sat tv????

Eric, I was thinking along the same lines.:confused: These two characters are really roughing it!!:) What they are traveling in compared to we 'Wee Folk" and then being thrilled with SAT TV no less.
Sheeeeeee!, [The ladies seem nice, I wonder if they were shanghaied and are aboard under duress. Will have to pass a secret message to one of them, will let just you Eric, know of the outcome.:D]

Al-Ketchikan

Well, the windlass control box was shipped from Fisheries in Seattle to USPS here in Ketchikan. Problem is, USPS shows it being returned back to Fisheries as "Undeliverable". And since this was the only one in stock, they have to wait until USPS returns it before they can ship it out again.My other packages made it fine, as did Toms also.
So now the hunt is on for another provider. Defender says 5-7 days as they are on the East Coast.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

It will cost, but check out Alaska Air's Gold Streak service. Defender would have to get the part to an airport serviced by Alaska Air, but then it goes on the next set of flights to Ketchikan. You then need to go to the airport to pick it up. I had some stuff sent up from Seattle that way and it was no more expensive than fedex overnight, not that that's cheap. It might be better than waiting.

Also, what about repairing the existing control module? Is it just a relay box, or are we talking about the joy stick control?

Here's to Ketchikan Al. The last two AA! Didn't take long. Thanks Al! All this and sunshine in SE Alaska! It's a miracle! Sunrise at 0420 with sunset at 2130.....

Attachments

• 20170524_175219.jpg
    20170524_175219.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 91
Oh and Sat TV is great!! Get to stay up on the "snowflake" activity....

Well, the windlass control box was shipped from Fisheries in Seattle to USPS here in Ketchikan. Problem is, USPS shows it being returned back to Fisheries as "Undeliverable". And since this was the only one in stock, they have to wait until USPS returns it before they can ship it out again.My other packages made it fine, as did Toms also.
So now the hunt is on for another provider. Defender says 5-7 days as they are on the East Coast.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Tom, we could talk on the phone, but here I am on the site. First thing tomorrow morning call 1st City Electric. 225-5688. You will most likely be met on the phone by "Murphy". Tell him I had suggested on a bet that Tom Lattin could be the answer. He is by far the most experienced and knowledgeable electrician on marine application. His 'McGyver' repairs often are superior to the original. At the least he may be able to address the issue to your satisfaction. Worth a try, but know this, he is so damn popular and at this time of year with commercial boats waking up for the season, may not be available.
The weather in 'Clarence' is looking fit. So tomorrow the plan is to gather stuff and check it out for a afternoon start for Meyers Chuck. Settles down towards evening in these conditions. If it falls apart, will check in with you guys Friday. if I make the jump. will see you later in the season.

Al

Ordered a new "Box" from Defender, paid for the 2 day delivery. We expect the "box" in on Tuesday because of the Holiday weekend.

Appreciate everyone's help, and Al, hope you actually get to head out tomorrow.

The Chief look north to the future. That and we drank all of our AA. Thanks again Al.

Attachments

• 20170524_163218.jpg
    20170524_163218.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 86
Ordered a new "Box" from Defender, paid for the 2 day delivery. We expect the "box" in on Tuesday because of the Holiday weekend.

Appreciate everyone's help, and Al, hope you actually get to head out tomorrow.

Don't know John, sitting here looking out on 'Clarence' not liking what I am seeing. I think on review, the forecast from the "Canadian' is showing Mother's little boy a better day to travel. Sunday; Here is the forecast:

Dixon Entrance East - North Coast - Environment Canada

Nice thing about retirement! Having said, will drop down and harrass. Do you have coffee? Only asked because- - - - - - -

Al

Tom/John- In case you arrive in Wrangell early, here is an activity you might enjoy. There are several videos on the Stikine following the first. Several outlets all good.

Al

First thing tomorrow morning call 1st City Electric. 225-5688. You will most likely be met on the phone by "Murphy". Tell him I had suggested on a bet that Tom Lattin could be the answer.

I used that very person last September to help sort out an inverter/charger problem. A good phone number to have in your list of resources.

Thanks for the tip on 1st City Electric. Who's good to call in Ketchikan for help with Cummins and Twin Disc? Also, is the only haul out at Air Marine, up by Ward Cove? Nice to know this stuff in advance.

Wrangell is about 90 miles to the north and has haul out and a good diesel/transmission mechanic. Haul out is run by the harbormaster and the diesel mechanic is Dave Miller 907-305-015. He does the heavy maintenance on my 6CTA-8.3.

Tom

Thanks for the tip on 1st City Electric. Who's good to call in Ketchikan for help with Cummins and Twin Disc? Also, is the only haul out at Air Marine, up by Ward Cove? Nice to know this stuff in advance.

Southeast Diesel is the cummings dealer and do reduction gears and damn good!! 225-7165 There is a proviso. They will give preference to commercial fishing needs first priority. [Cummings warrenty work may be a different can of fish]

There is another source for haul out, but as to schedule or such I can not speak. Seaborne Marine Services [Steve Seleay] 225-2692
150 Ton carrier I believe, maybe larger.

The better location for best haul out/services/ is the Wrangell Port haul out.
Harbor Master - 874-3736

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks Al. Everyone who lives in SE says Wrangell is the place to go.

You are welcome Ken, By the way, Southeast Diesel is the John Deere dealer as well.

Al-Ketchikan

Ken,

Where are you guys now? We will most likely be here in Ketch until Wednesday.

Cheers, John

John, I'm sorry to say that we're still in Bellingham, the reason being that my niece is getting married this weekend and it would be hell to pay if we skipped it. We're off next week. I'd say we'd be in Ketchikan by the third week in June. Then my sister is flying up for a visit.....we may head for Wrangell then, with her. After that, we'll spend most of our time on the west side of POW, chasing fish and using Craig as our base.....and to replenish our Alaska Amber supply. If you and ASD are in that area, you'll see us on AIS. We like fishing in about a 30 mile radius around Craig, especially Noyes Island and up toward Coronation. May go up Chatham Strait toward Sitka this year. I'm hot to get underway. The boat is loaded and ready to travel. We'll be looking for you guys. Hope the windlass fix turns out ok for you.

Enjoying the evening waiting for parts

Attachments

• 20170528_173351.jpg
    20170528_173351.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 78
Where are you guys headed after Ketchikan? If you're going up Clarence Strait on the east side, drop a line in at Ship rock, about 10 miles south of Meyers Chuck. Have done well there in the past. Look for where the locals are around the rock. Drinking an Alaska Amber presently, anticipating future fish action.

Helm Bay, then Santa Anna inlet, then Wrangell

Helm Bay, then Santa Anna inlet, then Wrangell

Tom/John

Secured at Reliance Float-Wrangell. Flat calm throughout though the wife said it turned SE late.
Suggestion: Santa Anna is over fished. ever visiting boat seems to end up there. It must be on some restaurant place mat:rofl: they all set a pot or two there. Save your selves for a better spot. Try Berg Bay on the Blake channel or locally called ' Back Channel. Look it up on he charts. Commercial crab fishing starts on the 15th and then you will not be able to find or buy a crab!!!
Golf tomorrow Whoope!!:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom