Would like to find someone to build me an instrument enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
BONGO
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
Would like to find someone to build me an instrument enclosure. I have been fussing with this enclosure for a while and I'm just not happy with the way it is turning out. I gave up a nice workshop when we moved 5 years ago and no longer have the space and tools to do a good job. I have done many teak projects in my past but I find, without continued practice, that my skills have diminished.

I am going to make drawings for this enclosure.

If anyone knows of a person that would like to take this on that would be fantastic.

Picture to show the type of thing I have been working on.

Attachments

• instrument pod01.jpg
    instrument pod01.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 48
  • instrument pod02.jpg
    instrument pod02.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 50
Of all my skills...fine woodworking is just not one of them..lol. Watching skilled wood workers make me jealous. You dont know any hobbyist local to you that might take on that small project? Good luck with your search.

Would be a nice little project but being in Canada shipping cost would be deterrent for you.
Why teck for the panel? Is it to match wood inside your boat?

L

Nice project to realize but I live quite far away to do it for you.

Greeting

Pascal

Would be a nice little project but being in Canada shipping cost would be deterrent for you.
Why teck for the panel? Is it to match wood inside your boat?

L
Yes, the interior is teak. I know there are similar woods to.

Attachments

• Helm001.jpg
    Helm001.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 48
I'm starting to draw it up

Attachments

• instrument pod04.jpg
    instrument pod04.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 37
The new instrument pod will be located in front of the steering station like this:

Attachments

• Helm001.jpg
    Helm001.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
Looks like an easy project for a local woodworking shop. Are you hoping someone will do it for free?

Looks like an easy project for a local woodworking shop. Are you hoping someone will do it for free?

No not expecting free at all, more looking for someone with the skills.

Philbrooks in Sidney BC could do with ease.

I just made this to replace the old one in the boat. It’s made from 1/2” 10 layer Vietnamese plywood with pine trim. Stain is Minwax gunstock.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 38
I just made this to replace the old one in the boat. It’s made from 1/2” 10 layer Vietnamese plywood with pine trim. Stain is Minwax gunstock.

Very nice

You are in Snohomish. Talk to Alan Thomle, he is a shipwright, & wooden boat restorer. Focuses on mahogany runabouts, and builds awarding winning boats. He lives close by in Warm Beach. Send me your contact info, I will contact him and check to make sure its OK to share his phone number. ronstevensonmiwa@gmail.com

Found a great guy.

I was concentrating on other projects for a while when I found a guy had left his card on my boat for any woodwork. Well perfect and a really nice guy too. He has nearly finished my project and it is looking good. Used some of the teak from my old sailboat I had that was 50 years old, perfect reuse. I get the finished bit tomorrow ready for me to finish up the electronics before I install it.
Here is a test fit before trimming.

Attachments

• Instrumentpod 05.jpg
    Instrumentpod 05.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 55
Instruments in

Now I have to move my compass that is behind the new pod. But I am pleased with the result.

Attachments

• Instrumentpod 08.jpg
    Instrumentpod 08.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Instrumentpod 07.jpg
    Instrumentpod 07.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
I just fabricated one for my Flybridge out of white 3/8” Starboard. I released the bends with a router table to the proper complimentary angle at a depth of 2/3 material thickness (1/4” in this case). I based the design using angles easy to reproduce like 45 and 90 deg. Heated the starboard with a propane torch (heat gun wouldn’t do it with this thick material) bent to the desired angle and added ice to speed up the cooling process. Came out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 30
Your project is inspiring, man7. I am trying to decide between a rebuild like yours or reoptimizing the space I already have. If I can fit what I want into the existing pod with only a new dash plate, that's the direction I am headed. Any insights you can offer from your project?

Attachments

• IMG_3060.jpeg
    IMG_3060.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 25
Your project is inspiring, man7. I am trying to decide between a rebuild like yours or reoptimizing the space I already have. If I can fit what I want into the existing pod with only a new dash plate, that's the direction I am headed. Any insights you can offer from your project?

I had my lower panel built be new wire out of Florida. They were very helpful and made my lower panel perfectly. Maybe worth talking to them.

New Wire Marine 8432978348 www.NewWireMarine.com | sales@newwiremarine.com 4695 Franchise St., Charleston, SC, 29418, US

Last edited:
Marine Services Group in La Conner, WA did some work for me that was very well done in teak, I think they have a guy that comes in to do the work, either way I think you will be happy with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom