question on some paint stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’d prime with zinsser (spelling?) or other solvent based primer. Just a light coat will do it.
It’ll help keep it from peeling or flaking.

Spray paint would not be my first choice for waterproofing wood. I would actually use epoxy to seal it and then paint over the epoxy to protect the epoxy from UV and to make it look nice.
I'm going to apply epoxy to a wood piece then primer and paint.

The epoxy I'm using is totalboat epoxy.

The epoxy gels in 40 minutes and cures in 4 hours at 72F. Can I apply primer in 4 hours without sanding, or should I wait 72 hours for the epoxy to fully cure, then sand and apply the primer?

Last edited:
I applied Totalboat epoxy to some wood pieces on Wednesday evening. After two days, one piece still feels a bit tacky, the other pieces have cured. The instruction says the epoxy cures in 5-8 hours. I also left a heater on nearby during the two days. I don't know why this particular piece didn't cure.
Next I'm going to sand and paint. For the tacky one I will probably paint without sanding first.

IMG20241025171030.jpg

The top sides look good, eg, the block in the middle. But the sides touching the trash bag have lots of bubbles formed, where the epoxy coverage is not good. Is there a better release medium?

IMG20241025171047.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom