Will the Titanic claim a few more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this is the link, I see no reason why someone would fake something like this...

That's easy. Clicks.

All the wisdom of the world can be found in rock & roll.

"It's interesting when people die" - Don Henley

This story will be trending for a while.

Good one! And in the cesspool that's YouTube, there are already all kinds of sensationalizing, speculating and outright lying, just to attract eyeballs.

I saw on the news recently that some salvagers are bringing up a huge piece of the Titanic. It has been called "The big piece".

To answer the O.P. question.. In my opinion the wreck should be left alone but as long as people are willing to risk their lives to get near it, or salvage some of it, yes, more lives will be lost.

pete

I saw on the news recently that some salvagers are bringing up a huge piece of the Titanic. It has been called "The big piece".

To answer the O.P. question.. In my opinion the wreck should be left alone but as long as people are willing to risk their lives to get near it, or salvage some of it, yes, more lives will be lost.

pete

The “Big Piece” was brought up in the late 90’s and is on display in Las Vegas.

https://www.titanicconnections.com/...ece is on,Artifact Exhibit in Orlando Florida.

The R.M.S. Titanic Maritime Memorial Act of 1986 was ratified by the US in 2019. How affective it is/will be in protecting the Titanic?

Unless done for forensic purposes continue to view this and trips down for viewing as grave robbing and morbid egocentric activity.
Have no issues viewing battlefield sites. Have personally done so (Gettysburg, Antietam etc.). View this activity as teaching history and showing respect. But viewing the Titanic cannot be excused at ~$250k a pop. Yes they were live lumber/passengers. Found promo company owner gave in the above video a vey weak excuse.

My personal view of this:
The people aboard knew there was risk going that deep.. part of the allure.

The company seemed to cut a lot of corners to do this.
The C.E.O. was willing to go along so he either had a death wish or believed in the tech.
Whether climbing high peaks,base jumping,crossing oceans solo,riding motorcycles, traveling to hot spots around the globe,handling poisonous animals, doing deep high risk scuba or doing any extreme sports ALL have an element of risk that has a higher mortality risk that sitting on the sofa and watching the tele. Nobody shoved any of those folks in that tube and made them go. Possible exception was the father/son team.. and that may have been peer pressure .
The element of risk drives many to do extreme stuff, many feel more alive doing this. If one has had felt the adrenaline rush of almost certain mortality often they look to repeat that feeling ( I bet psychiatrists could have a field day with this).
Managing those risks to a tolerable level puts many of those folks on the loosing end of the game. Again, personally my risk assessment level take a higher place in the sometimes extreme stuff I like to participate in as I age. That and the body doesn't heal or plain perform as well as it did 20 years ago.
Any time someone dies it is a loss, but it is less of a loss .. in my view..if they die doing something they enjoyed of challenged themself in.
Hollywood

This is an excerpt from a really good August 17, 2023 article by Susan Casey, writing in "Vanity Fair," titled The Titan Submersible Disaster Was Years in the Making, New Details Reveal:

“As the world now knows, Stockton Rush touted himself as a maverick, a disrupter, a breaker of rules. So far out on the visionary curve that, for him, safety regulations were mere suggestions. ‘If you’re not breaking things, you’re not innovating,’ he declared at the 2022 GeekWire Summit. ‘If you’re operating within a known environment, as most submersible manufacturers do, they don’t break things. To me, the more stuff you’ve broken, the more innovative you’ve been.’

"In a culture that has adopted the ridiculous mantra ‘move fast and break things,’ that type of arrogance can get a person far. But in the deep ocean, the price of admission is humility – and it’s nonnegotiable. The abyss doesn’t care if you went to Princeton, or that your ancestors signed the Declaration of Independence. If you want to do down into her world, she sets the rules.”

What Susan Casey writes about venturing into the ocean depths applies to going to sea in general, I believe. Experienced mariners tend to think conservatively. I don't mean that in the political sense, but rather in terms of change and innovation. Boat and ship design stands on the shoulders of centuries of experience. What some call tradition is about more than just maritime culture - it's about inheriting an understanding of what keeps the water out of your boat and your crew safe. Mariners who disdain maritime tradition do so at their own risk.

The sea is beautiful but utterly indifferent to what happens to you. That's why when we go to sea, we prepare, prepare and prepare some more, knowing that luck can still turn against you no matter what. Going to sea with the intention of testing the limits of your preparations is inviting a smackdown.

"...The sea is beautiful but utterly indifferent to what happens to you."

I think that was actually Bernard Moitessier's line, wasn't it? Or Crowhurst?
Knox-Johnston? Slocum? Chichester? Well, maybe all of them at one time or another. Yep.

...Boat and ship design stands on the shoulders of centuries of experience...

Have you seen the designs which are popping up in marinas these days?

I think the key is you mentioned "experience" mariners. Clearly not the target demographic for those things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom