Unicorn Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So they do. Pity they don’t seem to have built either one for many years. Everything currently listed is 80s and 90s, mostly East Coast and high engine hours. But they go on the list.

There is nothing wrong with high engine hours per se.

Last edited:
The Unicorn boat is just that, a Unicorn.
So far we have learned, must have 3 staterooms and two heads. The rest, IMO, is negotiable.
Unless you are about 40 years old, building a new one cant be done quickly because it may be a custom build. Builders’ can make more money buy building “the standard” boats.
Because of the world’s health issues, politics and economy. the “new build line” is very long too. Alas, we may see some boat builders drop out of the business and disappear.
That leaves the ‘used’ option. If you find a 3 stateroom, 2 head, boat…. Move, to investigate quickly.

But then, I have no insights, just my opinion.

One further point, you didn’t raise your kids to ‘keep’. You raised them to go off on their own. You might get 2 or 3 years of “use” but after that…. Off to college, fall in love, get married and make you grandparents. LOL
Have a serious talk with your kids….. Explain the ‘plan’, they may not be interested at all. What seems like a good idea now, in 6 months, not so much.

Last edited:
It comes with Volvo’s!

If you do pull the trigger, make suRE you get the moorage. There is a severe shortage of over 50’ moorage in the PNW.

A single D9. People seem to say they are good engines, just that the parts are expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty well upgraded in most areas. 750 gallons of fuel will need refilling often, if you'll
be using all the speed this boat is capable of. Lack of stabilization may be a concern.
Properly maintained, that engine wouldn't worry me. Very nice boat, IMO.

Last edited:
A single D9. People seem to say they are good engines,just that the parts are expensive.

Two thoughts on this. Not only are the parts for Volvo's really expensive, but sometimes it can take months and months to actual get them.

2nd, I agree that moorage for 50' plus spots are difficult to get in the PNW, however, one will be opening up here in Port Orchard the end of the month when we leave for Mexico. . . . and there's no one on the waiting list. The slip is a side tie, and will accommodate up to a 65' boat, LOA. Good parking available as well as laundry and bathrooms w/ showers. PM me for details . . . oh, and there's only one person on the waiting list for liveaboard at the moment as well, who will get our liveaboard slot when we leave, leaving NO ONE on the liveaboard list as far as I know . . .

Two thoughts on this. Not only are the parts for Volvo's really expensive, but sometimes it can take months and months to actual get them.

2nd, I agree that moorage for 50' plus spots are difficult to get in the PNW, however, one will be opening up here in Port Orchard the end of the month when we leave for Mexico. . . . and there's no one on the waiting list. The slip is a side tie, and will accommodate up to a 65' boat, LOA. Good parking available as well as laundry and bathrooms w/ showers. PM me for details . . . oh, and there's only one person on the waiting list for liveaboard at the moment as well, who will get our liveaboard slot when we leave, leaving NO ONE on the liveaboard list as far as I know . . .

It wouldn’t be my first choice of engine for sure. But very low hours. Interesting re P.O.

And… we closed last Thursday on this Maritimo 52!

https://www.seattleyachts.com/used-yachts-for-sale/maritimo-m52-2008-shenanigator/2805701_1

Even lucked into a permanent slip on North Lake Union with a view back to the Seattle skyline. Looking forward to watching the fireworks from the upper deck on New Year’s Eve!

Anybody interested in an insanely well kitted and maintained Nordic Tug 37?

That`s one big Aussie built Maritimo! Congratulations.
Note, for me the link works in the email but not on thread.

Congrats! We closed on our 48 Maritimo in June. Had a great shakedown cruise running her from the west coast of Florida back to North Carolina.

Wow, beautiful boat that looks like it was very well maintained!

Wow, beautiful boat that looks like it was very well maintained!

It surveyed very well, though there were enough deferred maintenance items, old electronics, minor leaks, and other odds and ends to bring the price down from the ask and keep my mechanic busy for the rest of the off season.

Just closed the sale of our Nordic Tug 37 with another TF member today at a fair price without ever going on the market. I must be doing something right. Goodbye SababaTug, hello SababaTimo!

He’s got my former Nordic Tug, I’ve got the Maritimo.

Just closed the sale of our Nordic Tug 37 with another TF member today at a fair price without ever going on the market. I must be doing something right. Goodbye SababaTug, hello SababaTimo!

Sababa!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom