Survey report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree with the quality of the survey. If you haven't done the sea trial yet with a surveyor you don't know the big items yet. And I believe that all those little items that were neglected are the tip of the iceberg and that there is a lot more items that you haven't even discovered yet. I think it sounds like overall neglect and is your first boat I would caution you because you don't know what you don't know.

How many lights don't work before you change a bulb.
But if it is for real, a DIY buyer getting a good purchase price will end up with a great boat. That said, too many simple fixes left undone makes me wonder what major repairs are also ignored, like oil changes.

Me too. My first reaction was that there were a lot of things that should have been fixed -- what else has been ignored. Do not buy this boat without sending the engine and generator oil out for analysis.

Also, as several people have mentioned, you're not going to get insurance unless you hire a captain. Find the captain and have him or her along for the sea trial. You need someone on your side of the deal who really knows boats.

Jim

I’d be a little concerned. Was the boat pulled to check hull, prop, rudders, stabilizers? Did you have someone qualified to inspect the engines during sea trials.

Get an estimate from a reputable mechanic for repairs after sea trials. Use these estimates to negotiate the boat price.

New boat owners can easily spend $50,000 on deferred maintenance and repairs (those known and those yet to be discovered.

Good Luck.

Read post 23.

The items listed, as many have alluded to, indicate a possibly neglected boat, so the big stuff may show neglect later in the survey.

I do NOT understand members making statements on a thread without reading the thread. :banghead:

The items listed, as many have alluded to, indicate a possibly neglected boat, so the big stuff may show neglect later in the survey.

I do NOT understand members making statements on a thread without reading the thread. :banghead:
:thumb:

I would also get an electrical survey from a certified Marine Electrician. In addition to identifying problems, they can help you understand the boat's electrical systems.

Everyone is assuming the worst and that this survey is failed or flawed. The OP just asked what we thought of the list of items called out. Maybe the survey was a good one and this is all or part of the items called out. Until the OP tells us different that is all we have to go on.

I don't hold to this more optimistic view. I don't see how a boat of that size with essentially no major defects listed still has all these niggling defects which nobody botered to correct. Sounds to my ear like a case of still waters running deep.

This was just his preliminary report. We still have to go through the haul out and sea trial tomorrow, and we have engaged an engine expert to really go over the engine and generator. Once those things happen, we will get the full report.
This post was 5 days ago, any update?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom