Shipping from New Zealand or Australia to USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danmhi

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone out there might have some recent(ish) experience sending / knowledge of shipping costs for a boat from Aus/Nz over to America?

I'm currently looking at a 46' trawler and considering the pros / con's of importing it to America.

Many thanks
Dan

US to Europe is about $50k. Double that for Australia to US. Probably not much traffic on that route either, certainly not a dedicated boat transport.

David

What about import duties? Might want to look into that as well. I would think that's going to be a fairly large chunk of cash in addition to transport. I could be mistaken, but I've also read about boats that can't be imported due to environmental and other regulations.

Cross Chartering Yacht Transport lists Brisbane and Auckland as ports of call. I would start there.

Why even consider this? Plenty of good boats for sale in America. Without any knowledge of the boat you are considering I am confident this is a very bad idea. Complicated, expensive, time consuming and likely incompatible systems. Other than that might be a great option :) . It rarely even makes sense to move a boat between US West and East coasts (I did so on a 58ft Hatteras and regretted it.)

A long time ago we shipped our sailboat home from Auckland, I don't remember the shipping agent but we were hauled from the yard to the port by Boat Haulage, a quick search shows they are still in business. We had a great experience and they were totally professional. They hauled us and another boat to ship side that day.

We shipped as open deck cargo on Columbus lines which is now Maersk. We got lifted up on a flat rack and dropped direct to the water on arrival.
I have since transported using a yacht transport company that lifted direct from the water and discharged to water. This was pretty easy, but its all pretty spendy.
Hollywood

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom