Ray McCormack Sunseeker 54 delivery to Hawaii currently underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My schadenfreude is tempered by concern for the crew, $200 per day at the end of the trip “when the owner pays me.” Only experience needed is to be able to stand a watch. At this point, they’ll be lucky to get paid if they survive the trip.

I question his $130k quote to ship it to Hawaii.

What were the dates on these conversations?

If I were the owner, I'd be super pissed the guy was discussing my fee arrangements in a public forum.

Asking a delivery skipper like him to get a quote for shipping is akin to walking into a "gentlemen's club" and asking a stripper if she and her friends would like some champagne.

Peter

What were the dates on these conversations?

If I were the owner, I'd be super pissed the guy was discussing my fee arrangements in a public forum.

Asking a delivery skipper like him to get a quote for shipping is akin to walking into a "gentlemen's club" and asking a stripper if she and her friends would like some champagne.

Peter

2 weeks ago according to his FB page.

I agree on discussing rates. Maybe it’s social media? When my niece was 15, she knew her posts today can bite her tomorrow.

The idea of looking for crew on FB is also very scary. When I was doing deliveries, knowing who you were crewing with, was paramount.

Just a few notes:

First, I am NOT a USCG rated captain.

2nd, while Ray McCormack was “out there, doing it”, we were safely anchored in Turtle Bay, not too far from MVWeebles, so I guess that makes us wimps . . . BUT we had successfully come down from PNW in our boat, and even though the entrance to the bay was wide open, we made the conscious decision NOT to enter Turtle Bay in the dark. We scheduled our departure from Ensenada, and modified our enroute speeds in order to arrive off of Turtle Bay (and NOT by following the 10 meter contour) after daybreak.
Ray McCormack reported the winds at the time of the sinking to be at least 20 kts . . . My anemometer only recorded 12kts max gusts overnight . . . . Due to the sinking, Ray McCormack lost his laptop. BBG owner, trusting to the experience of this USCG captain, lost everything she owned.

On his current delivery.
Ray is on record as stating that his fuel burn rates were done WITHOUT all the additional fuel he was planning on taking on the Hawaii delivery.

He appears to have actually loaded three 500 gallon bladders, one in the boat garage, and two down below, which coincidentally prevents access to the engine spaces until sufficient fuel is burned off (at least 500 gallons) to allow one of the bladders to be moved out of the way in order to allow access to the engine spaces . . . . In addition he stated he was planning on carrying 7-8 poly drums on the aft deck for additional fuel. So by my figuring, he had the capability of loading 1885 tp 1940 gallons of diesel fuel, above and beyond the installed tankage. Weight of 1885 gallons of fuel plus the bladders, poly drums, pumps, lashing etc, would approach 14,000 lbs of fuel and associated equipment, above and beyond what the boat was designed for.

So, since the engine spaces were inaccessible initially, assuming his 5 gallon burn rate is accurate, then he PLANNED for not being able to access the engine spaces for the first 100 hours of the trip, over FOUR DAYS. This after the previous voyage was cancelled because of a leak in the engine spaces, which necessitated returning to port because not only could he not address the leak because he could not even access the engine spaces, he had no way of knowing how serious the leak even was due to the extra fuel blocking access to the engine spaces . . . . We do engine checks every hour. Not looking at, or even being able to access the ER spaces for the first four days of a trip would be totally a non-starter for us.

There is also the Nov/Dec delivery of a Jefferson 54 from PNW to Socal in 2022. He didn’t make it any further than Cape Flattery. He lost the main anchor, with 400’ of chain, because he neglected to secure it to the deck prior to departure. Then he returned to Neah Bay, attempted to tie up at a dock, because well, he no longer had an anchor. When told he couldn’t tie up there, he left, and on attempting to leave the harbor, apparently ran into a moored log boom, doing extensive damage to the props/shafts/rudders. He limped into Port Angles, abandoning the boat because it was “broken”. Estimates of repair I heard were close to $100,000 usd. . . .

He currently has had to divert further South than apparently planned due to adverse WX. I am not convinced he had sufficient fuel for the trip, even with perfect sea conditions. Given the conditions he is encountering, I don't think he has enough fuel to make it to Hilo. Putting people at risk to save his . . . well, to assist him from the consequences of his actions is unconscionable. Yet, his history of being towed in by the USCG seems to point to this being just another part of a successful Ray McCormack delivery.

Yep, not JUST a delivery captain . . .
No such thing as CG "rated" Capt... CG licensing is a series of tests depending on scope desired and if candidate meets the requirements for the license desired.... They can sit for the test...and pass it or not. Just as any other profession, good and bad Licensed peeps..

The paid deliveries I’ve been on and it has always been for fun, I was never asked for my ?? ton license. I was asked for a resume and references. Three of the last 4 deliveries (off shore) the quals went to the owner’s insurance company(s) and accepted.

You can get the sea time and test well but that doesn’t mean a competent captain.

Edit: I apologize to the professional mariners here. You’re working it. My comments were not directed to any of you.

Well, according to posts on Sailing Anarchy, the boat is carrying 2000 gals in bladder/deck fuel. Total of 2565. For some reason, I thought he was carrying 1300 but who knows. His burn-rate calibration run arrived at 7.5 kts at 5.4 GPH, or around .75 Gal/nm. Less than 1800 gals needed. Why he'd carry an extra 700 gals if that was his calculation would be a good question for him.

Lot of info bouncing around. Time will tell. Either he'll make it or he won't.

Peter

Well, according to posts on Sailing Anarchy, the boat is carrying 2000 gals in bladder/deck fuel. Total of 2565. For some reason, I thought he was carrying 1300 but who knows. His burn-rate calibration run arrived at 7.5 kts at 5.4 GPH, or around .75 Gal/nm. Less than 1800 gals needed. Why he'd carry an extra 700 gals if that was his calculation would be a good question for him.

Lot of info bouncing around. Time will tell. Either he'll make it or he won't.

Peter

From what was said, his calibration run was without the extra fuel weight on board and in fairly calm conditions. So to account for some increase in burn with the extra weight and higher burn in rough seas, carrying 35 - 40% extra doesn't seem unreasonable to me. With the awful conditions out there at this point, more fuel also gives them more options, as they can afford to adjust course a bit for weather even if it adds a few miles.

With a gold membership to Boat maybe he plans to just call them once he gets close enough to get towed in.

At this point I'm really curious to see what condition that boat is in when they arrive, how much water they've taken down the engine room vents, etc. Surprisingly, they're still out there and still moving despite having spent the last couple of days in 10+ foot seas.

Since Ray posted the picture of the pickup truck, this maybe what they are referring to as a “bladder”. It looks like the drums are secured also.

AM I seeing this correctly... that this is essentially an open helm boat with a half windscreen, and that the upper half of the windscreen and the rest of the helm enclosure is canvas?

Attachments

• IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 339
Can someone post the latest position, please?

AM I seeing this correctly... that this is essentially an open helm boat with a half windscreen, and that the upper half of the windscreen and the rest of the helm enclosure is canvas?

Yup. As best I can determine the boat is likely a Sunseeker Camargue 50 or 51. Just a big express cruiser.

I just spent a few weeks in HI. One of the discussions was about a rowing boat race from the mainland. They all made it. All sorts of Polynesian craft plied these waters for long distances well before Capt Cook arrived. Of course none of these craft carried spare fuel excepting food.

Over 100 years ago a New York open gas boat crossed the Atlantic. Ray’s history aside, maybe a deep breath on suitable vessels is needed.

Last edited:
A ship is only as seaworthy as its crew.

The last reported position I could find from the SA forum.

The crew has earned their $200/day plus some. I do wonder about meals and food.

Attachments

• IMG_8465.jpg
    IMG_8465.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 26
The last reported position I could find from the SA forum.

The crew has earned their $200/day plus some. I do wonder about meals and food.

I agree that the crew is definitely earning their $200/day . . . . and hopefully that pay will be coming from the owner of the boat, and not Ray McCormack. Anyway, provided they make it to Hawaii, I hope they actually get paid.

On meals, Ray posted that there was minimal room onboard the boat (on a 54' boat!) for provisions and they were planning on catching tuna along the way for food . . . . This, after posting that the owner already paid him a $15,000.00 advance for airfare and provisions . . . . Bare in mind that every $ of the advance for provisions that he doesn't spend on provisions is another $ of profit for Ray for the voyage . . .

Personally, we NEVER PLAN on having to be successful at catching fish in order to have enough food to eat, but that's just us. For a proposed 14 day voyage, we'd want a minimum of 28 days of food on board, but once again, that's just us.

I still don't believe he has adequate fuel on board for the conditions he's encountered, and even if the conditions weren't forecast (which they were) they should plan for conditions worse than forecast. . . . but, who knows, I've been wrong before . . .

Best case scenario, the boat arrives safe in Hawaii no worse for wear, and with a healthy crew.

The tank on the pickup truck is what we call a”tote” around here.
It’s 275 gallons, and has a threaded outlet on the bottom with a ball valve, and a big fill on top with a threaded plastic cover. Not vented.
I have some experience with these on deck.
They are contained in their own frame, making them easier to secure, but no baffles, so the slosh can be pretty violent when partially emptied.
They’re tough, and are manufactured to survive in transit situations, and actually meet some pretty stringent shipping rules.
A far better choice than 55 gallon drums, IMO.

...On meals, Ray posted that there was minimal room onboard the boat (on a 54' boat!) for provisions and they were planning on catching tuna along the way for food . . . .

This story just keeps getting better and better (or worse and worse depending on one's perspective). Imagine if I told my wife and kids something like that as we shoved off for a long run. I can just imagine their reaction.

That all makes sense to me. Traveling by boat lets us see different places and sometimes a different perspective on the same places. But not every place is possible or worthwhile to go by boat, same as there are places boaters go that others wouldn't, or only would get the full experience if bringing gear to be self sufficient instead of being tethered to civilization.

Agree. When we were living on our boat in the Med and the subject of the Aegean came up we were often asked what we thought of Santorini which we did not visit. That always produces a quizzical look and a "why not". It is a beautiful little island and well worth visiting but the lack of anchorages/marina makes it very marginal for boats. We found we had the most interesting and worthwhile sojourns in places where boats are an advantage or necessity and not an inconvenience or worse.
~A

Last edited:

YES! I looked it up on Sunseeker's web site and it is an open express boat.
It has 127 gal fresh water and 565 gal fuel tank.
I try not to comment on someone's ability, but I hope they have a lot of good luck. I think they're going to need it. :confused:

I have to wonder about the hull to deck joint on a 25 year old boat quartering into 12' seas for that long. that boat was never designed to take that warping for hours on end.

The tank on the pickup truck is what we call a”tote” around here.
It’s 275 gallons, and has a threaded outlet on the bottom with a ball valve, and a big fill on top with a threaded plastic cover. Not vented.
I have some experience with these on deck.
They are contained in their own frame, making them easier to secure, but no baffles, so the slosh can be pretty violent when partially emptied.
They’re tough, and are manufactured to survive in transit situations, and actually meet some pretty stringent shipping rules.
A far better choice than 55 gallon drums, IMO.

Thats what I have known them as too! Oil or hydraulic fluid gets delivered in them...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom