Rain intrusion into bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought 4000 and 4200 are close enough.
It may be better to seal the gaps using 4000. But no matter 4000 or 4200, the entire tube (even 3 oz tube is overkill for this) has a shelf life of only 24 hours once the seal is ripped.

I would get a roll of butyl tape for now

I can’t exactly see what your picture is supposed to be showing. I know you’re trying to show a detail, but a picture from further away would be helpful to put things into perspective.
But, as a general rule, I don’t patch in different sealants unless I’m making a temporary patch. I also don’t use something like 4200 for temporary fix unless it’s all I have. 4200 or 4000 uv should be used when making permanent repairs/rebedding of deck hardware.
Butyl tape actually can make a temporary patch at times, you can form it to a shape and press it into and over small gaps to get you through the winter.

I thought 4000 and 4200 are close enough.
It may be better to seal the gaps using 4000. But no matter 4000 or 4200, the entire tube (even 3 oz tube is overkill for this) has a shelf life of only 24 hours once the seal is ripped.

I would get a roll of butyl tape for now

I assumed you used something besides 4200 to seal that. If you did in fact use it, by all means, use a little more to get the job done.

The two pictures are a wider view of the two photos yesterday

The white sealant are 3m 4000

If the same sealant works best, I would buy another 10 oz tube to seal the gaps

IMG20231206125933.jpg

IMG20231206125911.jpg

I can’t exactly see what your picture is supposed to be showing. I know you’re trying to show a detail, but a picture from further away would be helpful to put things into perspective.
But, as a general rule, I don’t patch in different sealants unless I’m making a temporary patch. I also don’t use something like 4200 for temporary fix unless it’s all I have. 4200 or 4000 uv should be used when making permanent repairs/rebedding of deck hardware.
Butyl tape actually can make a temporary patch at times, you can form it to a shape and press it into and over small gaps to get you through the winter.

The two pictures are a wider view of the two photos yesterday

The white sealant are 3m 4000

If the same sealant works best, I would buy another 10 oz tube to seal the gaps

View attachment 144071

View attachment 144072

since you have 4000 on it already, i'd just use a bit more to do what you need. you're doing something fairly unconventional by sealing the fabric to the deck. most folks just deal with a little water coming in and let it run out naturally. getting a fabric top completely watertight is very hard to do.

Maybe just paint the entire canvas enclosure with white elastomeric paint like they use on mobile homes? 5 gal pail is around $100 at Home Depot.

Peter

there were caulk remnants along the perimeter when I first noticed the rain intrusion. it should be from one previous owner decades ago. I cleaned those away and applied new sealant.

since you have 4000 on it already, i'd just use a bit more to do what you need. you're doing something fairly unconventional by sealing the fabric to the deck. most folks just deal with a little water coming in and let it run out naturally. getting a fabric top completely watertight is very hard to do.

my last effort already provided ~95% seal for now. I just need one more tube to fill that two gaps.

the canvas does not leak so I would just leave them as is

Maybe just paint the entire canvas enclosure with white elastomeric paint like they use on mobile homes? 5 gal pail is around $100 at Home Depot.

Peter

there were caulk remnants along the perimeter when I first noticed the rain intrusion. it should be from one previous owner decades ago. I cleaned those away and applied new sealant.

i thought i remember that there was a track the fabric fit into. usually, the track is sealed to the deck and when the top slides in the track it should shed water if the top was designed well.
you've done a neat job of keeping the sealant under control, so just carry on.

I just want to confirm did you mean 3m 4200 should not be used on top of 4000?

these 3M sealant tubes, once punctured open, have to be used within 24 hours. so I cannot use the left over from the previous 4000 tube. the contents inside have already dried out. I need to buy new tubes. that's what I said, even 3 oz tube is an overkill.

I just want to confirm did you mean 3m 4200 should not be used on top of 4000?

these 3M sealant tubes, once punctured open, have to be used within 24 hours. so I cannot use the left over from the previous 4000 tube. the contents inside have already dried out. I need to buy new tubes. that's what I said, even 3 oz tube is an overkill.

you can 4200 on 4000 without issue. i only meant to not use it over hardware store caulk.

Camping stores are another source of information for canvas enclosures. I've used a number of different tapes paints over the years.

boat is rolling in a winter storm currently.
The wind is so strong and getting stronger
the sealant that I applied last month has held up well. only a small amount of water has seeped through the crevice so far, see the photo.
I thought it could be leak free like the past month. maybe leak free is not for permanent

IMG20240109165416.jpg

IMG20240109165350.jpg

IMG20240109165237.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom