Onan generator help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig_b

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Alpha One
Vessel Make
Chung HWA
I have a Onan 6.0 MDKC geni. Boat is a 1980 PT38

The coolant pump has crapped out.
Need a replacement but not sure which motor this generator has. I have heard somewhere its a D650 Kubota motor.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject?
Thanks

Last edited:
So you are trying to avoid the cost of a new pump from Cummins? Good luck with that. My Onan 7.5 had the bearing of the bronze belt-driven circulation pump freeze up. Rebuilt parts and labor in 1999 was 117 bucks from my maintenance log entry.

So you are trying to avoid the cost of a new pump from Cummins? Good luck with that. My Onan 7.5 had the bearing of the bronze belt-driven circulation pump freeze up. Rebuilt parts and labor in 1999 was 117 bucks from my maintenance log entry.

NO. I am trying to determine what part to order and to do so I need to know which motor I working with.

NO. I am trying to determine what part to order and to do so I need to know which motor I working with.

Is it belt driven? My COOLANT pump was, but the seawater cooling pump was gear driven. The coolant pump is not nearly so specific a requirement as all you need do it use your old pulley on a pump with same shaft diameter and hose connections. If this is the style pump you are dealing with, DEPCO Pump is your friend. Heck, they may even be of assistance with the seawater pump. But I'd say for ground truth on the engine you need to contact Cummins who owns Onan.

Last edited:
I do not see any identifying part numbers.

Attachments

• 20201222_202331.jpg
    20201222_202331.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201222_202255.jpg
    20201222_202255.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201222_202306.jpg
    20201222_202306.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
I've had good results from onanparts.com and jackssmallengines.com

In addition to the MDKC designation you'll need model #, spec and serial # to positively ID the parts needed.

Maybe this will help.
https://www.cumminsonanstore.com/howto/

Once you have a good ID you can try your luck on eBay.

Ah, yes it is belt driven, BUT it is integral to the engine, VERY unlike my Onan which had a detached belt driven circulating pump mounted on a plate (as well as the gear driven seawater pump). Yours is indeed going to require a specific replacement. I would look for a name plate on the generator someplace to help Cummins or DEPCO help you when you send then these photos. Do you think the bearing could be replaced by a machine shop?

Since you have the pump off the engine, take it to an autoparts store. They can probably id it by sight. IF you can find the engine plate copy the model and serial. A lot of these small engines have a industrial or farm purpose.

The pump can be rebuilt. The flange the pulley bolts to can be pressed off. The shaft slides out the back. The seal and bushing should be available at a decent bearing supply.

Thanks all.
I have found a couple for sale that sure look like the right thing. Same as others have suggested.
I am currently in the Exumas so finding a part down here is basically impossible and takes forever to recieve. Thats part of the reason I am trying to nail down the exact specifics. Will be doing some more digging to be sure. Thanks again for the help.

It's a Kubota D950, not a D650. Can get it from a tractor shop.

Back
Top Bottom