Complexity vs mission-worthiness and reliability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilhooley

Veteran Member
Greetings..

After 10 years, I’m in the process of selling my Nordic Tug 42 and doing that 100% myself for reasons that would not be interesting in a power forum. You have to, at a minimum message a product you’re intending to sell and for me that is easy... the clear value of a low-complexity/purely mechanically controlled diesel. My 6CT and the resulting mission-worthiness is the leading point of emphasis and I selected a boat I considered best in class across it’s product evolution. Minimum viable complexity is a no-prisoners requirement in any machine I’ll own.. a top of mind consideration in anything I’m making/integrating... and the prime suspect on any system design I’m reviewing (“rescue consults”). People simply can’t help themselves on this point.

I’m reasonably educated and experienced in systems, design and electronics and have experienced significant exposure to why systems/machines fail (131 “rescue consults”) and why designers might go off the rails, how to approach design (think) to optimize for the system’s mission, and how to find the faults in system design prototypes. That perspective is how I ended up with Clock Work, and it is something maybe 20% of interested parties I’ve spoken with “get” from the start... The remaining 80% universally ends up nodding in agreement as we speak, though retention/bleed-off can be imperfect. I’m using a new method of generating leads and this new method will likely be (already is) expanding my need to have this conversation, so I decided what I hoped would be a simple cheat sheet for a certain potentially interested person who is not that “mechanical”... a person looking out at what’s available for a second-gen Nordic Tug 42 in the price range where you can actually find engine choice in the inventory, and what they might gain or lose stochastically from pushing their decision one way or the other. That is... it’s for a decider pre-choice.. not post (i.e. already has their boat). Posted here if anyone’s interested. Thanks.

Diesel Engine Complexity vs Reliability/Mission-Worthiness – Silicon vs Cast Iron

Take care,
G

Not sure about other TFers... I know some will read your post with interest.

I struggled.... not sure what you were getting at. Something like because you have a mechanical diesel you think that is a selling point?

I hope you get what you want... just skimmed over the post the first time and lost interest...read it a second time to actually try to understand it. Think I did.... everyone is different... but if all you are trying to do is convince people that a mechanical diesel is the way to go...you might try simplifying the post.

Many here are pretty smart... they either think mechanical diesels are the way to go or not really. Probably why I started wandering even in the first paragraph. Many buyers really don't get that detailed in powerplant selection.

Last edited:
I too struggled with the meaning of the post. But I certainly do like my 6CTA…

Greetings,
Mr. G. Agreed although I think it is more redefining representation and plurality of application in an intersectional framework.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom