Navigation upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IG 30

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bilss
Vessel Make
IG 30ft
Hi, I want to update my navigation system to something more suited to a 30ft Island Gypsy, Gps Sounder combo, Auto pilot and possibly later radar, the sounder I would prefer a through hull transducer.
I am in Australia and would appreciate what folks have gone with and why, I would like to keep the price down however not sacrifice on quality.
Raymarine to leaning towards. Thanks

Lots of personal preference built into this age old dilemma. I used Raymarine Axiom and didn’t find it very intuitive initially - but got to like it better over time. Recently changed boats and went with Simrad NSS evo3S - more intuitive IMO but too soon to judge overall b/c I’m still learning it. BTW, I use Navionics charts on both systems. Good luck - you probably can’t go wrong with any of the major brands.

I have put Raymarine in our last 4 boats and have had great service from them.

Welcome Aboard. I`m in Australia, using Lowrance. One was fitted below, we replaced an old FB one with a larger Lowrance (?12"). Well priced,good features, usually include a thru hull transducer. Usual boat shops and online.
My experiences with Garmin on my previous IG I won`t detail.

My boat came with Raymarine auto pilots. Has an older Raymarine E80 radar, the boat mover delivering it from Melbourne had one as a trade in at his marine electrics Raymarine franchise. Installed for $1500, he could run at night, I got a fair deal.

I had Garmin for years, really liked it. Than I bought my current boat and it come with Simrad Auto Pilot, Sonar, EVO3 and radar.

I found it easier to use and more features. Other than Furuno, I will not buy anything else! Great unit!

I'd start by asking around about the different charts for your area. Some are better than others, and sometimes they are terrible. Once you know which charts are good, then I'd start looking at vendors who offer those charts.

As for vendors, we all have our preferences, all have good attributes, and all have warts.

I'm looking for nav/sounder for the SS Phelps, 30 ft. If anyone is upgrading I might be interested in the residue. TKS!

Hi, I want to update my navigation system to something more suited to a 30ft Island Gypsy, Gps Sounder combo, Auto pilot and possibly later radar, the sounder I would prefer a through hull transducer.
I am in Australia and would appreciate what folks have gone with and why, I would like to keep the price down however not sacrifice on quality.

When you say "GPS Sounder," do you mean an MFD (display screen/chart-plotter)? If you do not presently have an autopilot and want one, that should probably be your starting point. As TwistedTree said, there are proponants of all the major brands though from observation, Garmin seems to have the most number "never again" people.

Simrad has a scaled-down "GO" series MFD system (HERE). The catch is it is not really expandable to multiple MFDs if that is desired. However, they do have ability to broadcast to a tablet or smart phone as a 'repeater.' In the US, a 9-inch MFD with Halo radar dome and external transducer is around $3k USD. For a single screen install, 9-inches is barely adequate. Even though there is a decent price increase when you step-up to 12-inches, I think its money well-spent if you want an MFD display.

TwistedTree gives good guidance about checking out chart systems to assure compatability with hardware choices.

Peter

Been a Garmin user for decades and appreciate their easy-to-load updates via internet, and customer service. However, I've cruised into anchorages where charts are incorrect, and need updating. In more popular cruising locales, I've noticed that charts sets are fairly accurate. I've had a variety of electronics over the years, and one's choice usually boils down to familiarity, ease of use and cost. I'm having all Garmin with the new H46.

I had received an email regarding new messages to this post and somehow I stupidly deleted them before I had the chance to read them, one was regarding Gap for a lap top which I would be interested in learning more about as a backup system

I had received an email regarding new messages to this post and somehow I stupidly deleted them before I had the chance to read them, one was regarding Gap for a lap top which I would be interested in learning more about as a backup system

If your interested in a laptop system. I would look into Time Zero https://mytimezero.com/

I bought TZ Navigator and a 15" touch screen laptop. The screen is 500 nits which is on the brighter side for a 2-in 1 laptop. One of the thing I like about TZ. If I make a route or changes to one, at home or on the boat. That change goes to the cloud and is updates on the other unit. No SD cards needed for route updates.

The best thing, very easy to use! Customer support is great! There is even I built in utility for them to remote in and help you with a problem or show you how to do something.

I have a love hate relationship with Garmin. Their products are well designed, and easy to use. They are also durable, which is good, because Garmin customer service sucks eggs.

I have Furuno, and grudgingly part of our current system is Garmin (because that part included the radar and it was too new to replace). I like the Furuno, and the Garmin is OK.

But that said, I've often seen recommendations to visit retailers and try various systems, see what interface seems to suit you best.

Actual capabilities across brands are probably pretty similar, so unless you're a power user for some specific component... the interface will be the part that probably most helps you decide.

There's a lot of good to be said for a companion laptop or tablet system. We use TimeZero -- which is pretty much identical with the Furuno systems -- on a laptop, and that' comes in handy especially for planning. We also have tablet systems, as on-bridge back-ups/alternative chart views/etc....

-Chris

Last edited:
....... unless you're a power user for some specific component... the interface will be the part that probably most helps you decide...

For me, I wanted a knob input vs pure touchscreen. Being a small boat, I have space limitations and opted for a bundled system. Simrad met my needs just fine.

Peter

The most important instrument on board for me is the autopilot, so I have invested well in that.
At the top is Simrad, Ac 80, further plotters /radar/depth sounder, Simrad, but the pilot was leading!

Cost is mentioned as an issue.

I just went through the process of spec-ing out a package for a new build. I went with Simrad by the way but that's not the point I am here to make.

For what its worth, my conclusion was there wasn't a big enough difference in total package price between major brands to make a difference. So pick the brand you like.

If there is money to be saved, its by downgrading what you put in. A simple depth transducer can save you $1k vs a fancier choice. If you have a flybridge you are doubling up on some costs like displays and possibly radio. To save money, just install less stuff. Consider a smaller sized display, and cut that cost in half. Maybe hunt for some refurbished units. That sort of approach. It wasn't that long ago folks did fine with paper charts and a compass, maybe a simple depth sounder and radio. The new stuff is sure fancy, nifty, and EXPENSIVE.

I have aging Simrad package- its been dependable and works well- radar/ depth/ fishfinder/plotter/ VHF.

FWIW:
I recently had a conversation with a guy who’s company does all the NYPD/FDNY boats electronics installations. He says they only use Garmin now across the board. He states dependability and no “ call backs”.

I recently purchased an entire Garmin set up. I went with a complete package including Audio systems, cameras, AP, Radar, remote, sounder, and other small items such a card reader. Even the watch..lol. It should test the claims of whether the latest "connected" systems can actually be used the way you would expect them to be used.

It should though. Garmin is really strong in the aviation market and is being installed in most of what we make at Textron (Cessna, Beechcraft) and the pilots seem to love it. It has also been quite reliable.

I have Raymarine on my IG30. Prefer to work with plug and play from one vendor. I prefer electronics that are one generation old so I stuck with a/e series. Running connecting wiring was very easy. I installed blade fuse blocks in the flybridge, behind lower helm, and in ER. Network switches at flybridge and helm. There was ample room in ER for through hull transducers. I mounted the HD digital radar on the flybridge brow.

I have 2 displays ay lower helm, 1 for chart, 1 for depth. Radar to either one if needed. I also have a separate keypad because touch screens are not reliable.
1 display at Flybridge. AIS was easy to add, plug and play. Same with autopilot.

Like many others I have mounted an IPad with Navionics and it probably gets more usage than any other instrument. Current charts, inexpensive, and very east to use.

I always try to use Furuno equipment. I know it's a little more expensive, but I believe the quality is worth the price.

I prefer electronics that are one generation old so I stuck with a/e series.

From reading, it sounds like the easiest/fastest way to get a 1-generation-old electronics suite is to buy Garmin's latest and greatest today... and it'll be one generation old tomorrow.

:)

-Chris

Chartplotters & Tablets

While selecting brand for your electronics suite, I suggest you also look at what each integrates to share across their suite. Not just NMEA-2000...

I'm familiar w/Garmin, they have "Garmin Network" connections that share additional data among stations. I'm adding a new-generation chart plotter into my existing suite to gain an up to date gateway for video input, and eventually new sonar and radar.

Manufacturers often describe video inputs for entrainment, but I'm hoping to network a tablet using the HDMI and USB connections to have AquaMaps also available at every station.

Brad

Hello IG30. I think that all of the major producers are making great stuff, and all are likely much better than anything old being replaced. That said I have a complete, and redundant, Furuno system. I believe it was actually less expensive than Ray and Garmin comparable set-ups. I’m not an electronic whiz and I thought the learning curve was somewhat steep, but that’s probably just my shortcoming. That said, there is some reason that Furuno is seen on most commercial and government boats. The customer support is second to none … always a cheerful, patient, knowledgeable representative just a phone call away. They have even, unexpectedly, called back to make sure things were right after they had given me detailed instructions. Garmin … I' have owned a dozen non-marine examples and the customer service has been worse than anything I could have even imagined. Maybe Garmin Marine is different, but not a gamble I’m willing to take. Enjoy your upgraded equipment.

New Nav equipment

You will find that the choices you will hear about is what we all chose.

I saw some have chosen Ray and say great service, maybe the 3rd or 4th time Ray has been purchased, in the last several yrs, will be the ticket.

When you think about the other brands, Lowrance & Simrad, to state a few, you need to think with the numbers that they sell, where do they find the money for R&D?

Ultimately, you want to pick a company that will supply support, would be nice if you aren't on Musiak hold for hours, has enough sales to support an R&D Department and can continue to make acquisitions that will broaden its long-term offerings. I think, IF you investigate the choices, you will find that the 1 company that is going to be around tomorrow and has the sales to perpetuate its growth and product enhancements is Garmin.

Garmin is not cheap, but then, we all really know you never get something for nothing, so the idea of, keeping the price down AND not sacrificing on quality is not going to happen.

Often, Garmin will offer purchase specials of Chartplotter (MFD) & radar (or other parts) are often available at a savings.

Since you are leaning Ray, I won't take a lot of my time to try and convince you of your short sighted purchasing, BUT think. NAV products are probably the most important safety items you can put on a boat. Is that worth spending some money?

In closing, here (https://panbo.com/teledyne-buying-flir-what-does-it-mean-for-raymarine/) is an article from Panbo about Raymarine.

Do your own due diligence, pick a company with staying power.

Good luck.

In 2003 we bought a complete Raymarine suite of electronics for a 46’ trawler. When we sold the boat I pulled out a lot of the Raymarine equipment and moved some of it to a 22’ Center Console. In 2010 the DSM300 started hanging up. Had to power it down to reset it. I read somewhere that there was a problem with the DSM. Called Raymarine and described the problem. They asked if the unit was damaged at all. Said no so they said send it back and they would send me a CP300. My cost was the UPS shipping. I installed it and had it for a year. I bought a second boat and had some questions about configuration of the new Raymarine equipment for the new boat. In conversation with the same rep as the previous year, I mentioned that I had installed the new DS module. He remembered me and said to send the new unit back and he would send me the new updated version of the DS module. I asked him why and he said it was just a better unit. So I sent the new module in and they sent me a newer version. Wonder why I only buy Raymarine equipment? Because I have had better than great service from them. Who replaces a 7 year old unit for free? Our current boat had Garmin equipment that was a couple of years old, ripped it out and put in a new suite of Raymarine stuff.

I think a significant part of learning any of these systems is learning about navigation and navigation tools, and less so about how any given vendor has organized their buttons and menus. The less you know about navigation, the more you will have to learn. Learning a particular vendor is relatively simple.

Thanks to all for you input, I have decided to go with Raymarine for a number of reasons it just seems to be the better suited and has more to offer here in Australia.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom