Most frequently used or useful tool aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most used tool on the boat? As in the number of hours on it?

Hands down it’s the pair that go together: shop vac and an orbital sander. Nothing else even close.

Jim

Have to agree - credit card with high limit :hide: Or better yet, debit card with large account balance.

Best Tools aboard a boat

I used to have older 32 to 41 foot boats in Lake Michigan. Because they were older and I had little money, I used to spend weekends sweating and cursing as I fixed broken starters, patched gelcoat, clogged carbuerators, etc.

One year, the neighbor next to me in a brand new 42 foot Sea Ray was out on the back deck of his boat. This guy was always impeccably dressed, was usually sipping an iced tea (daytime) or refreshing cocktail (evenings and after 10AM on weekends).

My lady friend at the time asked him why he always looked cool, calm and collected while I was always sweaty and angry with the latest "fix" that didn't work.

In response, the guy said: "Lady, I have the two most important tools you can have onboard a boat: A CELL PHONE AND A CHECKBOOK!!! !!! :thumb:

Actually a bit of a re-think

My cell phone. The number of times I have to refer to it during a project is just uncountable!

Ditto. Always on. Always near by. A lifeline for navigation, reservations, entertainment and reference.

The 2 guys who do most of the work on the boat and a credit card.

A pencil, it gets the most use on my boat.

Seems that trawler owners have definitely to tool users on the evolutionary path.

All good examples. A few more:

Knee pads
Channelocks
Hose picks
Heat gun
Butane mini-torch
Block and tackle
Stubby screwdrivers

I don’t need any more tools except the next one I buy.

I still remember bringing my N46 down from Long Island with a pair of pliers, 2 screw drivers, plus a couple of stumpy screw drivers, couple of adjustable wrenches, Channel locks and vice grips and a hack saw with extra blades. Never used them. Started modifying and upgrading the boat, quantity of tools exploded. Put most of them on my AT and a few extra battery driven tools. I guess I really should start eliminating some of tool onboard. LOL

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. OD. MY problem as well. WAY too many tools aboard...BUT, ya never know :rofl:.

It's bad enough with our big boat where there IS a bit of extra wiggle room to fit just one more ??? into that shelf but our small boat (23') is really NOT conducive to tool storage other than VERY basic "stuff".

Couple that with the ancillary material (tape, clamps, wire, terminals and assorted bits and pieces and you have a recipe for "we need a bigger boat".

iu

headlamp

I have to admit that today’s modern electric power tools are a Godsend for convenience, compared to the old cord-powered ones.

Magnetic nut and bolt tray! HF $3 - Unless you just like to go bilge diving.

I have to admit that today’s modern electric power tools are a Godsend for convenience, compared to the old cord-powered ones.

I love my cordless tools (and typically bring them to the boat for planned projects), but for things like a drill that live on the boat, I've stuck with corded. Saves any concern for whether or not it's charged if I haven't used it in months and also means no dead batteries in the middle of a project (I've swapped to the corded drill before to finish a project after killing 2 batteries for the cordless one).

...... but for things like a drill that live on the boat, I've stuck with corded. Saves any concern for whether or not it's charged if I haven't used it in months and also means no dead batteries in the middle of a project (I've swapped to the corded drill before to finish a project after killing 2 batteries for the cordless one).
I still use corded power tools for the above reasons. I use to have battery powered tools but it seemed that every time I need one the batteries were dead. My buddy has a cordless vacuum that he swears by. (And I do mean "swears" buy.) :nonono:

Greetings,
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is: A sense of humour...

Unfortunately I threw that tool overboard last week in a fit of pique and I haven’t found a replacement...

Pickup claw for screws dropped in the bilge (I also have one with a magnet tip).

Maybe I’m just fumble finger but I find it’s needed about every 3rd time I take a wrench or screwdriver into the engine room. I have a 63” one that reaches into the farthest corner of the bilge where dropped screw like to hide.

Attachments

• C42A9F38-3D45-4FCD-A696-4D2F92BB61EB.jpeg
    C42A9F38-3D45-4FCD-A696-4D2F92BB61EB.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 39
The most useful tool in my tool box is a funnel. Between getting oil in the engine, coolant in the heat exchanger and fuel in the tank with a jerry can...the funnel gets used more than anything..

My pocket knife.

My father used to say “if a man don’t carry a knife he outta carry a purse.” Political correctness wasn’t his strongest suit but I sure miss his wisdom.

1. Columbia River Knife - opens w one hand, locking blade, used daily
2. the Picquic srewdriver - "not for big jobs but for most jobs"

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Swiss Army knife. Specially, the Swiss Champ.
Flat and Phillips head, blades, saws, plier, scissor, bottle opener, cork screw and more. I can go directly from tightening loose screws to opening a beer and keeping the wife happy by opening a bottle of wine. A happy wife is most important so this is my favorite and most used tool!

Impossible question

There are so many tools that are must haves, that are used quite often. If you don't have one of these you will be in deep doodoo pretty fast. But the item I think I use a lot is my electric meter - volts/ohms/amps (with a amp clamp to hold it without my hands.

Second, or may be first, was my stubby screwdriver which would use standard interchangeable bits. I bought it at a chandlery in Canada. I have never seen one like it anywhere else. All the other stubbies I have seen use proprietary, or longer length, bits and the holders for them are too long so you can't fish them out easy.

Someone mentioned stubby open/box end wrenches. My go to wrenches unless I needed the extra leverage of a longer wrench. And they don't span battery terminals as easy (but the burn holes in them say that it is possible).

Of course, you HAVE to have flashlights and knives. Some tools are indispensible regardless of how often you use them. This is an impossible question to give an honest and meaningful answer to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom