Most frequently used or useful tool aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pocket knife.

Swiss Army knife.

Gerber multi tool - handiest tool around, beats getting out the big tool set at least half the time :)

Agree. I've been carrying a Victorinox Swiss Champion since 1983 (I bought it just down the "hill" from Zermatt). Started also carrying a Leatherman multi-tool in approx. '94. I can fix a lot of stuff without any additional tools.

Too bad the actual knife blade on that particular Swiss Army model isn't a lockback, not all that great...

So usually if I really need a knife it means a different solution, usually the small Benchmade folder I carry too...

-Chris

I have, several times and since we are live aboards with no dirt home having infrequently used tools is a necessity for me. When I was removing a gargantuan Galley Maid macerating black water pump the hose leading to the pump was impossible to remove. I was able to cut the hose by removing a vanity drawer and slipping the sawsall to get at the hose. I had to do it blindly but, fortunately, there was nothing else near it. Sometimes brute force is required. Here are a few other high priority items - torque wrench, compressor, die grinder with cut-off wheel and wire brush.
Interesting. I do have one on board but so far luckily I haven't had to use it on the boat!

Zip ties

Wow, 37 posts and nobody has mentioned Duct Tape!

The world must be changing. I don't use it that often on the boat but I wouldn't leave port without it.

pete

A Surge leatherman, and it's pocket tips and blades. I've been carry on for 26 year, everyday. When I'm working beside contractors I can usually cut there time by 25-30% as they go for the needed tool in their bag and I quick draw a surge one handed, pop a blade, a saw blade, file or scissors. It does take me a few more seconds to get the right tip. I've left an impression on many contractors.

Attachments

• leatherman.JPG
    leatherman.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 85
Small shop wet vac. Saves the day if you have to blow out a clogged intake line.

Smart phone, by far. The last engine mechanic I used, first thing he did was go into the boat and take pictures of all the filters and components he was going to replace or work on.

The world must be changing. I don't use it that often on the boat but I wouldn't leave port without it.

pete

Let's not forget bailing wire....:thumb:

Small shop wet vac. Saves the day if you have to blow out a clogged intake line.

Also useful when the poop pump breaks and you have a used corn in the bilge.:eek::nonono:

Our favorite tool is one we use a lot: the Hook & Moor. In 6 years, it has worked 100% of the time picking up a mooring buoy.

(Yes, we sell them in our store...)

Attachments

• HookMoor-animate-TF.gif
    HookMoor-animate-TF.gif
    97.6 KB · Views: 476
I vote duct tape closely followed by JB-Weld. Permanently fixed my Jimmies with that stuff.

Our favorite tool is one we use a lot: the Hook & Moor. In 6 years, it has worked 100% of the time picking up a mooring buoy.

(Yes, we sell them in our store...)

Wow, wish I had one of those 25 years ago when I had to launch a buddy in a dinghy to make up to a mooring buoy.

Top 3...

Mobile phone as a hotspot.
Debit MasterCard
Grease gun

Basic Leatherman in a pouch on my belt.

Headlamp. My eyesight is "past" starting to go and a bright, hands-free light is a lifesaver.

Cellphone - flashlight, camera, encyclopedia (Google), emergency phone if stuck in ER tight spots.

Best tool I thought was probably a luxury? A pair of Hose Clamp Tools from CTA that I found on Amazon. Flexible 10" shafts w reversible tips that fit 90% of my hose clamps. Good leverage, can reach awkward spots. I use them way more than I thought I would.

CTA Hose Clamp Tools.jpg

My knife is my go to tool for all most everything. It's a Kershaw Leek that can be opened one handed. The pointy tip broke long ago and now it sports a homemade sheepsfoot tip which makes it perfect for a boat.

My knife is my go to tool for all most everything. It's a Kershaw Leek that can be opened one handed. The pointy tip broke long ago and now it sports a homemade sheepsfoot tip which makes it perfect for a boat.
I have nearly the same knife. My tip broke but I sent it in for their free repair service.
It came back with a razor sharp, shiny new blade. Great company and service!

It was I who mentioned the sawsall. The question was most frequently used or most useful. My sawsall has not been used frequently but when it was, it proved to be indispensable. Glad I was able to spark a laugh.
Good one, Murray. It's the second time I've (unexpectedly) laughed out loud in this thread. (The other one was the mention of a Sawzall as a most frequently used tool ("Why does my boat seem to be getting shorter?!")

If I had to pick, and I don’t think that is a choice I can make for sure, it would be my utility knife that is always in my pocket. However my wife says I have never met a tool I didn’t need... Oh, BTW I have used a sawsall many times on my boat.

The internet. It fixes my stupidity most of the time.
BD

#2 Phillips screwdriver, microfiber cloths, cell phone in that order.

Collapsible boat hook. Handy on smaller boat.

pete

White shrink wrap tape. It’s strong waterproof, and can stop a leak for a season, just in case I don’t get back to that task right away!

Cellphone apps; Navionics, Boatbeacon, Windy, Tides, Weather

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom