Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• penobscot.JPG
    penobscot.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 58
Been for sale since I have been in town....21 years. Going to take a special buyer. I love the "Penbo" trawlers, This boat is a nice version of them. Not many peeps want a FG over wood at that price.... She sho'nuff pretty! I have seen her from the dock. If the slip is available, she is in the historic district and may work for some buyer.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2659_addmain1.jpg
    2659_addmain1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Garden.JPG
    Garden.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

That looks like a really nice, well designed boat... Roomy for a 38'er. Although passing through all the photos, I don't recall seeing its bottom while on the hard.

Gotta ask... I can see many salon and other interior areas/things are trimmed in varnished wood. However, is the wall paneling wood or faux wood. I know the specs say wood, but my eyes see potential difference.

Gotta ask... I can see many salon and other interior areas/things are trimmed in varnished wood. However, is the wall paneling wood or faux wood. I know the specs say wood, but my eyes see potential difference.

I'm (obviously) not Devlin, but I would be surprised if the interior "walls" were not plywood or wood veneer of some sort (maybe you call that "not wood" as it's not planks?). The boat is stitch and glue, so he's already working with plywood.

I don't know for sure though.

Always thought that there was something about that look that didn't work. I think it's the rake of the front windows

Here is the boat I was thinking of.

Sterling Atlantic 43
43 X 13 X. 3. 21,000lbs 12-15 knots.
Looks like a single Cummins engine.
Can be seen in the Feb. 06 PM magazine.

I have been aboard a number of Devlin's boats and can confirm that there is real wood everywhere - usually plywood, faired and varnished or painted. I remember even some planking installed then painted.

look here, but plan to spend a few hours:

https://devlinboat.com/

I would like everyone’s thoughts on the Ocean Alexander 440 Sundeck boat. I am looking at purchasing one and the boat has 8.2 Detroit’s and in great shape. Just would like everyone’s opinion on the pros/cons of this boat.

I would like everyone’s thoughts on the Ocean Alexander 440 Sundeck boat. I am looking at purchasing one and the boat has 8.2 Detroit’s and in great shape. Just would like everyone’s opinion on the pros/cons of this boat.

Be very careful on 8.2's...Parts availability is tough. Remember, those engines haven't been made since the 80's..

Always liked that OA. If this one has the galley and dinette down, it is a great layout. The only ones I have seen have old carpet in the main saloon, which should go, replace with teak and holly and you will think you have a new boat.
They perform well, not a fast planing boat, as that would take a lot more hp.
Those 8.2 Detroits were popular at the time, and if yours haven't had problems, they are likely not going to at their present age. IIRC those problems would show up by now if they were going to. A mechanical survey will sort that out.
Let us all know how it goes.

It appears to have an auxiliary engine. Big prop in centre. Smaller prop offset.

Two, one on each side! It does have multiple "generators" that can presumably couple/clutch to these smaller shafts, which presumably can freewheel in an unlimited fashion.

Either that, or it has the craziest main transmission ever ;)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your advice. The boat is 1990 and the engines have been well maintained just some monitor repairs that have to be done. I need to replace the batteries right away. Going with AGM's. Are theses boats difficult to operate without bow or stern thrusters. This boat has neither. Also, looking for anchor recommendation. Thank you again!

Thank you very much for your advice. The boat is 1990 and the engines have been well maintained just some monitor repairs that have to be done. I need to replace the batteries right away. Going with AGM's. Are theses boats difficult to operate without bow or stern thrusters. This boat has neither. Also, looking for anchor recommendation. Thank you again!

With twin engines, you'll likely do fine without thrusters. I have occasional times where a bow thruster would be nice, but a little bit of planning generally can work around it. And at least on my boat, with how it moves under engine power, I'd say a stern thruster would be fairly useless.

Thank you very much for replying. The galley and dinette are down with head and bed in the bow. Our two boys are very excited to finally have there own space. The entire boat has new carpet and for some reason when I pulled the carpet back the wood/teak flooring that is in the galley is not there. It is a 1990 with twin Detroits, there is some neglected mechanical maintenance the has to be done. But, exterior is in great shape. What is a good cruising speed for these engines? Also, if there are any other major concerns or things to watch for with this boat.

cid:E96D4E23-6BD3-49DE-BF21-F2D725A66263

Thank you very much for replying. The galley and dinette are down with head and bed in the bow. Our two boys are very excited to finally have there own space. The entire boat has new carpet and for some reason when I pulled the carpet back the wood/teak flooring that is in the galley is not there. It is a 1990 with twin Detroits, there is some neglected mechanical maintenance the has to be done. But, exterior is in great shape. What is a good cruising speed for these engines? Also, if there are any other major concerns or things to watch for with this boat.

cid:E96D4E23-6BD3-49DE-BF21-F2D725A66263

I'm not sure what that boat is capable of speed wise with those engines so I can't suggest a good fast cruise. But for a 44 foot boat, your best slow cruise will probably be around 7 kts, maybe a hair faster. Above that your fuel burn per mile will start to climb significantly.

It appears to have an auxiliary engine. Big prop in centre. Smaller prop offset.

Two, one on each side! It does have multiple "generators" that can presumably couple/clutch to these smaller shafts, which presumably can freewheel in an unlimited fashion.

Either that, or it has the craziest main transmission ever ;)

If I'm not mistaken, that boat has hydraulic drives for the two smaller outboard props. The main is directly coupled to the large center prop by a transmission.

Yep, and an expensive DIY project at that...the hull alone must have cost way more than $220k to build.

Back
Top Bottom