GFCI + Pigtail = Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sababa

Vessel Name
Sababa
Vessel Make
Maritimo 52
So I went down to Queen City Yacht Club this morning for an electrical check that is required for being on their (eternal) moorage wait list. The club has new GFCI podiums with 30 amp power outlets. I have a Marinco 30>50 amp reverse splitter that came with the boat when we bought it last December and which has worked at several marinas we have visited that lack 50 amp power, even though I have worried that there might be something wrong with it because the LED at the output connector doesn’t light up. The inspector hooks it up to the podium, connects it to my shore power cable, turns on the podium breakers, and they immediately flip. We disconnect my shore power cable, flip the breakers back on, and test the splitter legs for power. There is current on each of the 30 amp legs, but no power on the 50 amp leg downstream of the junction. We drive over to Fisheries and I buy a new reverse splitter. We plug it in to the podium, turn on the breakers, and the light goes on. We test and have power now to the 50 amp connector. Turn off the breakers, connect my shore power cable, flip the breakers back on, and they trip again. Try a different podium, same result. So you’d think I have a ground fault. Except we have an isolation transformer, and we have connected the shore power cable directly to ELCI/GFCI protected 50 amp service without problems. Any thoughts why we would experience this problem only with the reverse Y splitter???

WAG. Your neutral and hot are reversed.
You need to mention if the cables are 3 prong or 4 prong as in 120 or 240

My shore cable is four wire 125/250v 50A. The splitter is two 3 prong 125v 30A to single four wire inlet.

Do you have a dual isolator?
IMO, while it works without GFCI, it does not on these pedastals as you have one neutral splitting into two 30A outlets each with its own hot, the balance is off.
TT should be along soon.

30A > 50A Reverse splitters will always trip new pedestals with ground fault breakers. There is nothing wrong with the splitter or the pedestal and there is no solution other than not using new pedestals with ground fault protections. This is because the 2 30A neutrals are tied together and because the hot and neutral currents on either of the 30A connections will never balance to satisfy either of the two ground fault breakers.

Back
Top Bottom