Fuel Tank Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holdfast

Just wanted to post a few pictures of the fuel tank replacement project we have going on on our 84 CHB for any of you that are considering doing it. We bought the boat knowing the tanks were rusted and allowing water in. We hired American tanks down in San Diego to come do the replacement and they have done amazing so far. Can’t say enough good things about these guys. Looking forward to not having to worry about the tanks in the future.

Attachments

• DBA9E638-B3A2-4201-BBE0-EFEE898AEF14.jpg
    DBA9E638-B3A2-4201-BBE0-EFEE898AEF14.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 62D6619C-5903-4FE7-A398-D4E8E85A68A6.jpg
    62D6619C-5903-4FE7-A398-D4E8E85A68A6.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 08D745EA-0FEC-4596-A81D-6372A5A07F39.jpeg
    08D745EA-0FEC-4596-A81D-6372A5A07F39.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 109
  • C1AB849B-C4DC-4446-B8C1-84A07E3D8B8B.jpg
    C1AB849B-C4DC-4446-B8C1-84A07E3D8B8B.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 9C9EBD28-6700-4D94-9D99-843177A05312.jpg
    9C9EBD28-6700-4D94-9D99-843177A05312.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 114
Multiple small tanks connected together? Interesting. I've seen that with plastic tanks but not with aluminum.

Welcome!

Those original tanks: yikes! How much tankage will you gain/lose? Mind posting a ballpark cost for this work?

BTW, your user name isn’t a clan motto by any chance?

Congrats on your new tanks, they look beautiful.

As the boat is new to us I’m not 100% positive what the original gallonage was originally but it was listed at 400 gallons total. It originally had 2 tanks on each side and now it will have 4 on each side all plumbed together and vented together. They estimate it will be only a few gallons less, maybe 10 or so than the original on each side. Oddly enough the original tanks feed line to the motors was actually about 1.5 inches from the bottom so all of that space was waisted and allowed for even more sediment to build up. The new tanks plumbing is situated all the way at the bottom so the entirety of the tank will be utilized.

Replacing fuel tanks should never be necessary.

They die usually from poor workmanship at their creation, not knowing a proper way to install a tank, or poor maint , allowing deck leaks to rain on the tank for a decade , or similar..

If a tank is replaced first the cause of its death should be found.

Simply repeating the failure mode is not a fun hobby.

Replacing fuel tanks should never be necessary.

They die usually from poor workmanship at their creation, not knowing a proper way to install a tank, or poor maint , allowing deck leaks to rain on the tank for a decade , or similar..

If a tank is replaced first the cause of its death should be found.

Simply repeating the failure mode is not a fun hobby.
Yeah I agree completely. Finding the root cause for us was important. In this case it is leaking decks, most notably around the fuel filler necks. We are replacing the side decks next to fix that next problem. $$$$

"In this case it is leaking decks, most notably around the fuel filler necks. We are replacing the side decks next to fix that next problem. $$$$"

Simplest repair is to put a spacer under the fill .

Then the deck wash has to be deeper than the spacer to begin to leak.

Too high becomes a toe stumbler.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for buying a Cheoy Lee. They have extremely heavy built in GRP tanks. No Corrosion, No problem.!!

"In this case it is leaking decks, most notably around the fuel filler necks. We are replacing the side decks next to fix that next problem. $$$$"

Simplest repair is to put a spacer under the fill .

Then the deck wash has to be deeper than the spacer to begin to leak.

Too high becomes a toe stumbler.

Yeah that’s a great point. I’ll have to look into doing that. When we had the tanks done we also went with one filler neck per side instead of the two it originally had. Now when we do the new side decks we will only need one filler hole and will also add a better slope for water run off to avoid Any pooling. Thank you for the tip!

I have tanks that need to be replaced. How did you remove your old ones? I has gas engines so mine will prove difficult and I don’t have much space to get the old tanks out. They may have to be cut out of the sides. I like the idea of using 4 tanks to replace one!

I have tanks that need to be replaced. How did you remove your old ones? I has gas engines so mine will prove difficult and I don’t have much space to get the old tanks out. They may have to be cut out of the sides. I like the idea of using 4 tanks to replace one!

See your thread, “Gas Tank Help”.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom