Flybridge enclosure - Remove windscreen or no???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I'm adding a hard top, and windows to my boat, creating a dry living space out of my existing flybridge.

Right now with a bimini we never, ever use the flybridge. In all the time i have owned the boat I rarely if ever drive from the flybridge, since the pilothouse is perfect.

So... thinking about the project, the windows I install will not be removed in the normal course of life. Once installed they are there.

Attaching the front windows to the existing windscreen means joining two opposite facing things together. The windscreen faces outward, and the windows will face inward keeping the lines the windows similar to the pilothouse.

Are there any issues removing the windscreen and attaching the new windows directly to the boat, in the same place the windscreen was attached?

What are your thoughts?

Here are a couple photos for reference

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 15
I would attach to the existing venturi screen. There will come a day when you will not have the windows in place and you will want the wind deflected by the Venturi screen.

By removing the Venturi screen you will create a seal issue between the canvas and the boat.

I would attach to the existing venturi screen. There will come a day when you will not have the windows in place and you will want the wind deflected by the Venturi screen.

Agreed. The venturi redirects wind from directly into your face to over your head. I would immediately walk away from a boat that had it removed. Replacing one is a PITA and not having it would be annoying. You may not drive from up there, but a lot of people do. Plus, it would look goofy with it missing.

I may have misunderstood previous threads where it sounded like you will be installing glass or plexi glass windows. If canvas and eisenglass then leave the venturam if glass then remove.

I see no way to do glass given the curve of the bridge. Plexi might bend and work
If the lower helm is "perfect", leave the bridge alone for the resale or do canvas to the venturi.

Thanks guys!

I'm installing a O Sea 40 MM clear vinyl, and will be using that trimmed with sunbrella.

I'll leave the wind screen, thanks again!!!

In the other place I posted lookout for the angle to the roof. My boat roof shade allows the sun to shine behind my glasses in the seated position due to the slope matching the pilothouse.

I find windscreen material other than coated polycarbonate to be unacceptable. Vinyl, even coated vinyl looses clarity so quickly you will be unable to drive with the windows in place. Uncoated polycarbonate has about a 3 year window before it turns yellow.

I have had good success with Makrolon.

Back
Top Bottom