Windows and leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWPederson

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1970 Grand Banks 32
I just purchased a 1970 Grand Banks and before I purchased her, the previous owner mentioned that they noticed a window leak on the starboard side in the v-berth, but only when they washed down. This window does not open. They also had the boat under cover. The boat has been surveyed twice in the last two years and come out each time shining. No water damage anywhere.

Since taking ownership of her, I have investigated this leak and the only thing that I could surmise was that the caulking was failing and/or missing. I put some Boat Life caulking around the window and waited for some rain. Oh boy, did we get some rain.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, specifically in Bellingham, and we have had an incredible weekend of wind and rain. Since last Friday, we have received almost 2" of rain and it was coming down sideways as the sustained winds were up to 20mph with gusts of 45mph. Sadly, as of now, I don't have covered storage and she was battered on the starboard side by the wind and rain.

Well, coming back down to the boat to see how she held up and I noticed that the v-berth leak was still there, but significantly slowed down, but then I noticed three other leaks in the main cabin, two below the window where the dinette is and another come from the valance above the window by the helm. This is all on the starboard side where the wind and rain was relentless. There wasn't a single leak on the port side.

I have checked all the weep holes by the windows and they are all clear. In fact, the window tracks/sills were all dry. I couldn't track down where the drips from the valance were coming from either. Frustrating.

When I brought the boat up from Seattle, I spent 11 hours on her. The owners had moved her to from her covered yacht club moorage to open moorage at Fisherman's Terminal. It had rained all night there, was raining when I left the dock and continued to rain for a few more hours. I was all over the boat looking her over and trying to find any issues I would need to address. The only leaking I found was the v-berth window.

Is it possible the leaks were happening because the wind was driving the rain up into the windows? From what I can see on the exterior, there is no way for water to get in around the windows unless it's the caulking. The paint is in good shape, for the most part. Any thoughts? Will I need to be removing the windows to reseal them?

To do a proper caulking job you will have to remove the window and thoroughly clean all the old caulk off. Then wipe down with something like acetone. Then add new caulk as you reassemble it. Caulking on the outside almost never works well. It may work for a while but it will fail eventually.

Another way that I have fixed window leaks is to make covers out of Stamoid. Stamoid is waterproof, not water resistant. I put a metal keder strip across the top of the window and make it a bit wider than the window. Then make the cover large enough to cover the window and snap to the cabin side. On the top of the cover you sew a bolt rope on the Stamoid that slips into the keder track. Put the covers on if you are going to leave the boat or if it is raining. If you use white Stamoid and use the lighter weight you will still get a lot of light through the cover. Stamoid comes in 2 weights. The lighter weight will transmit more light. I made these covers for one of my boats that had teak window frames. I was afraid that I would break the frames if I removed them. The covers stopped the leaks.

Another way that I have fixed window leaks is to make covers out of Stamoid. Stamoid is waterproof, not water resistant. I put a metal keder strip across the top of the window and make it a bit wider than the window. Then make the cover large enough to cover the window and snap to the cabin side. On the top of the cover you sew a bolt rope on the Stamoid that slips into the keder track. Put the covers on if you are going to leave the boat or if it is raining. If you use white Stamoid and use the lighter weight you will still get a lot of light through the cover. Stamoid comes in 2 weights. The lighter weight will transmit more light. I made these covers for one of my boats that had teak window frames. I was afraid that I would break the frames if I removed them. The covers stopped the leak
This is an interesting solution. Do you have any pictures of this?

Everything is possible with leaks but it is more likely just wishful thinking. Tracing window leaks is not easy. Often the exit is far from the entrance.

My advice, invest in some clear vinyl and a big roll of preservation tape. Completely cover the window and wait for the next rain storm.

I had a rain leak show up in a port side interior light once. I covered the port windshield with vinyl and sealed it with preservation tape. Boat still leaked. Covered the center window. Still leaked. Covered the starboard window. Leak stopped. Uncovered the port and center window. Still no leak. Waited till spring and pulled the window. Found a hole in the frame.

I rebuilt all of my windows, not an easy job. No it one window at a time is doable but not efficient.

First make sure all drain holes work. Caulk window exterior all the way around.

Window covers help greatly. Sunbrella or phifortex screen really stop the water intrusion.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices and you can see the process.

I used lots of Captain Tolly on my GB. The window sill trough are wood, the track bleeds water into this trough, and these lead to the drain holes, actually over the edge of the plywood wall.
Sure when new and many years the original sealer worked. I would plug the drain at bottom and flood the trough with Captain Tolley. I put the boat for sale with no more leaks.

Greetings,
Our first "big" boat was a well loved 1950, 34' Chris Craft Commander. The first year we had her, it was an extremely dry summer and we never thought about leakage, at all. Went out with friends with a 3 month old baby for Labour Day weekend and it POURED rain, in BUCKETS!!! We had every pot, pan, dish, container, tinfoil plates, coffee cups, buckets and bowls that was onboard under about 1/2 of the torrents flowing into that poor vessel. Wet, wet, wet! By the time we sold her 12 years later we had her pretty well water tight...almost. GREAT adventure when your young (and foolish). Not so much when you're old (and foolish).

Back
Top Bottom