Fishing the Baja

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've noticed that the barbs on even normal hooks decay pretty quickly during extended trolling. I could see them deteriorating to the point where the hook would basically be barb-less within a few days?

Seems like a lot of research discussed that a hook in itself doesn't decay quickly, but fish in general seem to find ways of getting rid of hooks pretty quickly though.

Whether it's because the hole in whatever the hook set into enlarges, the barb corrodes or a combo of both, the fish seem to rid themselves in a couple days or so to their benefit.

Other topics on barbless hooks spoke of how easily it can be dislodged if not under line tension. So perhaps the barb decaying is the solution overall.

Other topics on barbless hooks spoke of how easily it can be dislodged if not under line tension. So perhaps the barb decaying is the solution overall.

If fishing just for sport (also not for a record) and releasing immediately, using barbless hooks or pinching them down makes a lot of sense. Soooo much easier on the release.

For some fish, just finding and hooking them is the real talent, reeling them in takes skill but to me it's the finding, using the best bait, and technique to get them to bite that makes the captain earn their pay (and respect)...:D

I’ve heard this all my fishing life and have yet to see these magic hooks. I would like for it to be true that the hooks dissolve quickly, but I don’t know what kind of metal that has the strength to catch a fish would rust away in any reasonable period of time. Is your thought that the hook deteriorates in some manner other than rusting?

I have even done highly scientific research by tying hooks on a piece of mono and hanging them down below the dock, then checking progress. They eventually will rust, but they stay solid for a long time.

Have you ever tried a test to confirm how quickly the hook deteriorates? If so, what model Eagle Claw do you use?

Must be off season to be talking fish hooks on TF.
The Mag Bay Fishery has been a source of controversy for years now, most of the east coast guy's never believe the volume of fish,and more specifically the volume of fish caught and released healthy in a day. I'm not going to start this bruhaha again, but I've seen it with my own eyes, releasing dozens of fish in a day, some of the boats that go there to set records, are doing triple digits in a day! It's an artform, that requires a very specific technique. We use the Eagle Claw L20045G 8/0 Circle. I'll leave it there, cause I'm not going to get into an online battle.

The Mag Bay Fishery has been a source of controversy for years now, most of the east coast guy's never believe the volume of fish,and more specifically the volume of fish caught and released healthy in a day. I'm not going to start this bruhaha again, but I've seen it with my own eyes, releasing dozens of fish in a day, some of the boats that go there to set records, are doing triple digits in a day! It's an artform, that requires a very specific technique. We use the Eagle Claw L20045G 8/0 Circle. I'll leave it there, cause I'm not going to get into an online battle.

I’ve fished the west coast for a few decades and know the Mag Bay fishery.

You aren’t likely to get an “online battle” about fishhooks or anything else here on TF, so there is little need to be concerned about that. I thought the nature of my question made clear that this is a conversation only.

You made a pretty specific claim about 3 days and I just wondered if you had reason or evidence on which to base that belief. That info would be of interest to me and others. Apparently you take it on faith as is common and that’s ok.

Best of luck out there.

I've noticed that the barbs on even normal hooks decay pretty quickly during extended trolling. I could see them deteriorating to the point where the hook would basically be barb-less within a few days?

On the Long Range tuna boats I fished from, the barbs rapidly deteriorated after a few hours of trolling. Stainless less so but the barbs didn't last long and the hooks required sharpening regularly or the points were rapidly blunted.

I never felt bad about cutting off a fish with a steel live bait hook in it's mouth... It's certainly much easier on the fish than attempting to land it and remove the hook. I did discover a gadget called an ARC dehooker, which cleanly removes most hooks from a fish while still in the water.

Google that if you're interested, great tool!

We only fish with barbless hooks. The number of fish I’ve lost because I crimped the barb is minimal compared to the pain and suffering of the number of hooks we’ve had to extract from feet, hands and fingers. All it took was a couple of times, trying to remove a barbed hook, embedded in my flesh. The fish probably felt the same way. :rofl:

Last edited:
I've heard that budget booze into the gills quiets them right down. Haven't tried it.

I've been killing fish with cheap gin for years. I put it in a empty plastic dish soap bottle and squirt it across their gills. Instant death. You can even kill fish still in the water if their mouth is open. Just squirt it towards their gills at an angle in their mouth. Believe me this really works well. No bloody mess and they die instantly.

Trouble is.... if you want the blood out of them. I know it's often debated, and some fish don't need it as bad as others...but I bleed them and try to keep them active till bled out.

I think it is most critical if you don't eat or freeze the fish right away...and some fish I don't bother to keep if I have to freeze them (like bluefish)...unless I plan on turning them into fish cakes later.

Not really, Thus the release statement. Some think it's good, if you do this ,and that and this and that to it.....if you have to put a bunch of work into making a fish taste bearable, then its not edible IMHO. We typically release a striped marlin within 2 minutes of hook up, with the proper tackle, designed specifically for this fishery, and to release healthy. Eagle claw hooks designed for this style of fishing, deteriorate within 3 days.

On the killing of meat fish, the best way to subdue a meat fish is to put a wet towel over the eyes of the fish while on the deck, and use a small bat, or something like it. Obviously, You dont want to hit the deck and damage the gelcoat. The wet towel has a calming effect, to allow you to strike the blow.
A fishing hook that desolves in less than 72 hrs? Tell us more.

Short fish club with 1/2 x" 4" hole drilled in the business end stuffed with led is very effective. Cut the gills as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom