Fender rope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill209

Veteran Member
maybe a bit of a rudimentary question, but I have a question concerning the best rope to use for fenders; for a 36 ft boat heading around the loop in case that is relevant.

Polyester, polypropylene, nylon, dyneema …? And what would be the preferred thickness?

What has really confused me, though, is when I look at ropes being sold online for fenders, they have eyelets. Why would a fender rope benefit from having an eyelet? This is so prevalent that I feel I may be missing something.

My hope is that I could buy a spool of rope and cut it as needed.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Bill

No eyes needed. You want to be able to adjust the height every time you deploy them. If at all possible, I use a soft, inexpensive 3-strand laid nylon line. Too thick and it gets stiff and hard to tie. To thin and it can break when it gets a shock load. I generally go for around 3/8" or so, depending on the size of the fender.

Diameter and length of fender whip depends on size of fender, type of fender, size of boat, and how you plan to attach the fender to the boat.

To my thinking, stretch is good so Dynema is out. UV resistance is needed so most polyester is out. Tough to go wrong with good old fashioned three strand nylon. I have 1-inch stainless steel railing so use a rolling hitch to attach. Three strand works well.

No idea why have an eye on the end. I'm with you on buying a spool of 1/2" nylon three strand for my 36-foot and making up the whips myself.

Peter

I like to use Taylor Made Big B Fender Hangers at the end of the line rather than a knot.

eyelet at one end, rope end the other goes into fender hole and thru eyelet, pull tight, quick attach.
1729894213487.png

I'm a bit old school so I'd just buy a bunch of line and make up your own. I then will whip the ends. I just tied the line instead of using hangars. I prefer to tied the fenders around the base of the stanchion rather than around the rails. I figure the base is the strongest point and less apt to stress the rails. That may just be my imagination however.

My fenders have double braid but three strand works well also. Size them based on the size of the hole in your fenders. You want the line to be able slide through easily and be easy to tie. 1/2" is usually a great size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom