Ed, Golden Star 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ed2244

Hi all, could anyone please let me know if a Golden Star 38 is capable of ,offshore cruising ?.

I assume this is similar to a standard 40-ish foot sundeck motoryacht.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1985-golden-star-38-flybridge-sundeck-trawler-9063655/

A lot depends on what you mean by "offshore cruising." This one has 300g diesel which would limit you to around 400 nms, maybe 500 nms. Like all boats of this general style, she'll roll a bit in anything resembling a beam sea so need to be mindful of weather which is a good idea regardless. On the plus side, sundeck boats have excellent accomodations for their size. Very comfortable liveaboars boats.

While not the boat I'd pick to go from San Francisco to La Paz (example), of I already owned it, I wouldn't sell and buy a different boat more suited to the trip. Most of the trip is at anchor so I'd just deal with it's range and sea state constraints and go. I would not let "perfect" be the enemy of "good enough."

Just my opinion. If you provide more details on your intended use, may be able to offer more specific input

Peter

Gold Star 38

Thanks Peter, I'm just about to transition from yacht to power cruiser and the one i am looking at is a Gold Star,she will be used mainly on the east coast of Australia . The outer reef area (100/200ks out) can get a little gnarly at times
And was wondering how these boats fair in rough / choppy conditions.

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

I do not have any idea of your waters so cannot comment further. As a general observation, you 'down under' folks have some interesting boats there that seem to have been developed for the local conditions. I'd look closely at some local pedigree boats and make sure they don't scratch your itch.

Looks like you're new to TF. We have a small but vocal contingent of Oz boaters. You may want to put out a broadcast "Hi - new to TF and looking for a boat in Austrailia" type intro. Give a general sense of your stretch budget and how you plan to use the boat - I'll bet you get a few decent leads.

Good luck, and welcome to TF.

Peter

Welcome Aboard. I hope Jasper is kind to you and perhaps the Golden Star you have in mind.
I`ve no direct knowledge, it seems a fairly typical sundeck style semi displacement "Taiwanese Trawler". They are usually rated as a "coastal cruiser" in suitable weather, rather than ocean crosser.Your use puts you well offshore. Sometimes surveyors certify for a certain distance offshore, insurers may follow that or have their own ideas which limit the covered scope of use. You want to be insured.

In context of the thread I began about the sinking of the Eliza 1, it does look to have some weight up high. On the other hand, it`s been around a long while without falling over. Boats can often endure worse conditions than their operators.

Might be worth posting a link to the advert, there are other Aussies with much more expertise to contribute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom