Death of my WiriePRO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailorskip

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blooper
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400T
My WiriePRO is dying. It's a common problem. Apparently after a period of usage and weather exposure, they begin to overheat and fail. I bought it in 2016, one year before Wirie abruptly went out of business. It has been very good for my needs, offering switchable wifi and cell data hotspot. Once upon a time, it was Practical Sailors highest recommendation.

Now, it's time to move on. What has been good for the group? I got a ballpark quote from Wave Wifi for $2300 for just the equipment, which to my mind is exorbitant.

Thanks...

Skip
Tampa

I'm using a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L about 200.00
I just upgraded my plan as of today as I was constrained by the 100g limit.
Now I'm getting 150 for 110.00 per month.
I cruised from Destin FL to League City TX and didn't lose service.

i have a netgear m100 i think mobile rechargeable router i use in truck camper and boat. I plug from it into my boats lan. I use this when there is no wifi. When Wifi is available I have a 5g Nanostation and a 2g going through a 8ft omni directional antenna.

Not sure if they still make it, but I have a Pepwave Surf on the Go, which has the option for wifi or cellular. It was about $120 when I got it about 5 years ago.

I still have an original wirie and haven’t used it in several years. If you are interested in it send me a pm. The price will be right.
I am just north of you in new port Richie.

Thanks for the offer, but the WiriePRO seems to be inherently flawed over time and it appears to be time to find Plan B.

I broke the antenna off the Bullet part of my WiriePro and after a spell of searching for a replacement or upgrade, realized I was satisfied with the hotspot from my iPhone serving the needs. That's only cruising in well populated areas, of course. Guessing it will be somewhat less satisfying once our cruising range starts to include the fringes of coverage.

Back
Top Bottom