Big fuel fill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garrett

Vessel Name
Craic'n
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 52 Heritage EU
We have a 2007 Grand Banks 52 Europa. We’ve only owned it for a couple of years, and whenever I’ve filled diesel I have used the “small” fuel filler hoses. I’ve been nervous the larger hoses would overflow. Anyone know if they are appropriate for that model GB?

Thanks,
Garrett

One of the key things about using the larger high speed fuel hoses are the size of the vents on the fuel tank. We had a custom fiberglass fuel tank made for a previous boat that was just shy of 600 gallons. The fabricator put in 2” fills on each side of the boat so we could use a high speed hose. I believe he put in 2 1” vents so we wouldn’t over pressure the tank. I would look at the size of the vent(s) before using a large high speed pump. But the high speed pumps were very nice when filling the tank.

One of the key things about using the larger high speed fuel hoses are the size of the vents on the fuel tank. We had a custom fiberglass fuel tank made for a previous boat that was just shy of 600 gallons. The fabricator put in 2” fills on each side of the boat so we could use a high speed hose. I believe he put in 2 1” vents so we wouldn’t over pressure the tank. I would look at the size of the vent(s) before using a large high speed pump. But the high speed pumps were very nice when filling the tank.
The only thing that happens if your vent is not big enough is that gas/diesel backs up to the fill port as if the tank is full. Also, every place I have fueled has the ability to slow the pump down. It's just a matter of knowing this and making the request.

The only thing that happens if your vent is not big enough is that gas/diesel backs up to the fill port as if the tank is full. Also, every place I have fueled has the ability to slow the pump down. It's just a matter of knowing this and making the request.

:thumb:

Mine has the same tiny vents as a GB. This summer I fueled at a place that only had a car size filler nozzle, so I found out what a slow fill is. Use the faster hose. You won't go back.

I had a 46 GB. Used the high speed hose.

I use this fuel filler accessory. It aids in venting & reduces the possibility of backup.
Google “Clean Way Fuel Fill Kit - 12"”

I've found that some boats will cause problems if you fill them too fast. A lot of it has to do with the diameter, length and number of bends in the hose from the deck fill to the tank. The fuel and air going in can pressurize the tank just a little faster than the vent can release it. Eventually a big bubble of air pushes back up the fill hose and you get a small eruption. This may happen part-way through fueling, or as soon as you shut off or slow the flow.

You want to experiment the first few times with a high-volume pump until you know how your boat behaves. After the tank is about half-full, I'll stop to "burp" the tank every 10 gallons, reducing that to every 5 or fewer gallons as it gets closer to full. You should be able to tell if any air is released when you stop. If you don't get any blow-back, then keep extending the time between burps. If it never happens, you're good to fuel at full flow. If it does, you've saved yourself some hassle and mess, and possibly paperwork.

Garrett,

We have a 2001 Europa 52, hull #23 and would love to compare vessels some day.

JimL

Garrett,

We have a 2001 Europa 52, hull #23 and would love to compare vessels some day.

JimL

Hull 39 here. Would love to compare notes sometime. Shoot me an email some time: my first name + mca@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom