Best summer docking SJ’s, Gulf Is, BC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I have covered winter storage in BC (year round but only use in the winter) but was wondering what sort of summer dock space I could rent seasonally or by the month requiring for 71’ LOA.

This summer I enjoyed living on the boat in Sidney when not cruising. I thought I could “base” out of other marinas periodically and spend a week or two walking into town etc. Could be a few places for a few weeks or a month at a time. I don’t need to keep my boat there; only if it’s a good experience.

Roche Harbor caught my attention. Maybe Gulf Islands or further north, provided the town is close and charming.

I realize the LOA is an issue and availability may be zero. Thought I’d ask for any other ideas of places to consider.

I’m surprised no one has replied to this.

Agree LOA is the challenge. There is quite a difference between Sidney and Roche, so what are you looking to do while in each place? What are your priorities?

Besides the obvious SJ and GI locations, as well as places like Port Townsend, Anacortes, Qualicum and Ucluelet, Comox, Powell River and Squamish deserve a mention. Squamish doesn’t have the same cruising elements but it does have regular shuttle buses to Whistler, which is now a full on, year round playground.

On a lighter note, people who've not been to Squamish in a while might raise their eyebrows, but it has grown so much, half the oldtimers have relocated to Powell River.

Last edited:
Roche: A great resort, pretty expensive in comparison to Friday Harbor (FH $144 per night for 72' Roche $245). The nearest town is a 20 minute taxi or shuttle bus ride away (Friday Harbor). OTOH Roche is a stellar anchorage, protected from all directions, so if you don't mind dinking to shore it can be free.

Friday Harbor: Nice bustling small town, until the last ferry leaves in the evening.

~A

There are lots of interesting towns and places in the area, and most have been covered well in previous threads.

Regarding availability, transient moorage (at summer rates) is widely available. If you are hoping to get a monthly rate in the area, especially during the summer, I would say that will be extremely difficult.

I don't consider size of boat to be a big issue. There will be a few marinas that can't accommodate you, but many/most will. We are 68' OA and rarely have trouble finding a marina where we want to go.

Bottom line is there is plenty of availability at transient daily rates, and essentially none at monthly/season rates.

Blaine certainly doesn't have the ambiance of the other places mentioned but it's pretty central for San Juans and Gulf Islands destinations. Close to White Rock BC too.

71' boat. Even transient day or few reservations in advance. I cannot imagine monthly in peak rate being available. First year since pre covid that overnight spots were fully booked in GI travels.
Our friends to the south are not traveling as far and have put demand high locally. Fuel prices are having an effect.
Desolation Sound for 2023.

I like Friday Harbor better than Roche. More things to do and not everything is run by one resort, though Roche Harbor does an excellent job.

I haven’t been there in years, but Union Steamship in Howe Sound might be interesting and close to Vancouver if you want to do city things.

Have you considered Van Isle Marina in Sidney? The location is good since it's only 10min from Victoria airport so it's our preferred place for bringing in visitors. I see number of large boats in there. There are all sorts of marine services available there as well. The downside is it isn't in town (3km walk). Port Sidney is right in town but I don't see as many large yachts there.

Have you considered Van Isle Marina in Sidney? The location is good since it's only 10min from Victoria airport so it's our preferred place for bringing in visitors. I see number of large boats in there. There are all sorts of marine services available there as well. The downside is it isn't in town (3km walk). Port Sidney is right in town but I don't see as many large yachts there.

Yes. I was there for this summer base. Well, in the general harbor.
I agree it’s great but want to try something different. My only complaint is I’d prefer a town to walk to that has some diversity in restaurants, etc.

Port McNeill (NIM) has just logged their busiest summer in 8 years.

That's totally CRAZY! We were in Port McNeill toward the end of July this year, and the place was almost deserted! Lots of boats there, but only one or two tables occupied in the restaurants the 4 times we ate out . . . . wonder what's it like in the "OFF" season? Don't mean for this to be criticism of Port McNeill because we really enjoyed our stay, but there just weren't many people there when we were there.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom