Anchor drag alarm in Bedroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Opencpn has a smart guard zone section drag Alarm and its free

Last edited:
iPhone anchor alarm

I use an app called "Anchor alarm for boaters" It works well and we have used it up in the Broughtons. It's very low power, lets out a screech when the radius is exceeded and it is inexpensive. We also leave the gps on at night with an anchor alarm. I like a belt and suspenders.

You could always get an anchor that doesn't drag.
Your boat is big enough to carry one.
Any anchor will drag under the wring combination of conditions.

I like more information than a buzzer. This is in the sailboat, facing my head as I sleep. It can have any information I want on it: heading, location, wind speed or direction, even engine readings. It is backlit and dimmable at night, and has an alarm buzzer you can set for a variety of things. Most vendors have a similar display head.

I often set it to show wind speed, direction, heading, and depth. Sometimes DTW from the anchoring point. If the heading or wind has changed, then maybe the anchor needs to be checked as it will have veered or upset. If the wind it up maybe I should check. If my DTW to my original position is increasing, why?

Most the time, glance at it and go back to sleep. If you only have a buzzer, then you have no situational awareness.

Z9VRD6l.jpg

That makes a heck of a lot of sense :thumb:

I use the Garmin WiFi feature to connect to the Garmin app on my iPad. It provides full control and function of the Garmin chart plotter on the flybridge. So if the anchor alarm goes off, I can easily see if I’m swinging due to a wind shift, or dragging.

I also set the Anchor app on my iPhone. Make sure to set the alarm radius larger than your swing. Also, remember to turn it off the app when you go Dinghy riding ?

Raymarine Axiom bluetoothed to Bose Revolve Speaker, set anchor drag and carry the speaker where needed.

Here is my solution, I put in a Maretron DSM410 and then a 9” LCD mirroring my TZT12 using hdmi over ethernet. Works brilliantly and looks great on the nightstand. Note that I haven’t built the teak surround for the 410 yet.
This way I can not only do anchor alarms but also things like SOC so I know when I need to stop sleeping in and turn on the Genset :)
AC

Attachments

• CED6A047-66A1-4A64-BC20-97B2BA15F2FB.jpg
    CED6A047-66A1-4A64-BC20-97B2BA15F2FB.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 57
Obviously some issue with mobile uploads as the picture is right side up in my phone, needless to say the stuff is mounted on the nightstand not the ceiling...

+1 for buzzers. Our high water alarm and some others on the boat send a high pitch squeal. I have serious tinnitus that's actually louder and in the same frequency. Jan, "what is THAT noise?" Me, "yer kidding, right?"

We do use the new Garmin/Active Captain app on an Android fone. Pick up the Garmin wireless network on the fone and you have a choice of either helm or bridge screen to view. Set the anchor radius on the MFD and it shows on the fone. Not sure if the alarm rings on the fone. . . But, since the app gives total control over the MFD, we can switch on the radar, change screens, etc. from the Android.
Beats watching the news. . .:dance:

I installed a Garmin GMI 20 next to my bed. The unit runs off the nmea 2000 network including DC power. Anything running across the network can be displayed on GMI 20. Mine scrolls through depth, wind speed & direction, boat heading by compass, position, time of day, and has a built in anchor drag alarm. The display has alarms for some of the items such as shallow water and high wind speed.

Ted
Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but my electronics upgrade project has one or maybe two GMI 20 units for very similar applications. Would you please review the built in anchor drag alarm on the Garmin GMI 20 and how suitable it is to serve in this role beside one's bed as an alarm for anchor drag? Thanks, Ted.

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but my electronics upgrade project has one or maybe two GMI 20 units for very similar applications. Would you please review the built in anchor drag alarm on the Garmin GMI 20 and how suitable it is to serve in this role beside one's bed as an alarm for anchor drag? Thanks, Ted.
For others who may be considering this, the first thing to consider is that you will need to leave the NEMA 2000 network on. On Slow Hand the network and the AIS were on the same breaker. The GMI 20 displays (3), all the sensors, and the AIS draw a very small amount of power.

The GMI 20 in the stateroom displayed time, depth, wind speed, and direction the bow was pointing (compass heading). Running but not displayed were anchor drag alarm and shallow water depth alarm. Other alarms are available such as wind speed, provided you have the corresponding sensors. The four items were displayed on one screen, so no scrolling was required. Other screens were setup so that I could manually scroll to see if things like maybe the wind direction had changed.

The display has a day and night mode, so you can set the night display to be readable but not bright enough to keep you awake.

Overall I was very happy with the display, but there are a few limitations. I don't remember if you link all the GMI 20s together or they come programed that way. As an example, if you switch to night time mode, they all switch and they all have the same night time light level. Somethings weren't linked. The most disappointing was the anchor drag alarm. You have to activate the alarm on the GMI 20 where you want it to alarm. So yes, I had the alarm ready to go, and would go down stairs to activate it, then come upstairs and drop the hook. The shallow water depth alarm would sound and display on all GMI 20s. I talked to customer support about updating the drag alarm on every display. They said it sounded like a very good idea and would be included in the next software update (software is updated where the oldest unit can have the same programming as a brand new unit. On my MFDs, it was done by running a software update in the SD card slot where SD map cards were inserted). I became so use to trotting up and down to the stateroom, that I never bothered to update the software.

While there are other apps that you can use on a cell phone or tablet with far more features, there are some distinct advantages to a GMI 20 in the stateroom. First, the GPS antenna located on the top of your roof is probably multiples better with a faster sampling rate and unobstructed view, than what's in your phone or tablet. Secondly, all the other information and alarms allow a more informed decision of whether you need to get out of bed in the middle of the night. Third, being able to wake up and look at it with the same informational display, same light level, in the exact same location, without activating the screen or trying to display the app correctly is extremely valuable.

If you can now activate the anchor drag alarm from the pilothouse and have it alarm in the stateroom display, that would be perfect!

Ted

I have an old Garmin GPS plotter mounted in my birth where I sleep. I set one of my anchor watches on that unit. Then Navigate to it. The night time screen (very low illumination) shows how far I have swung / dragged before the alarm goes off. If I awaken at night I always glimpse at the screen and go back to sleep.
About 10 yrs ago I dragged at Block Island and got woken up and quite a bill in the morning. This was my solution.

There is something comforting about being able to see the location history on a map rather than just have the alarm running in the background. Because the GMI 20 is "just" a NMEA network device, I suspect it will never have that ability.

Some of the posts from 2018 indicate mirroring the main chartplotter display on an iPad allows the location history on a map to be displayed on the iPad. Any reason that couldn't also be mirrored onto an iPhone?

+1 for Anchor Pro.

And for more info wirelessly, we used one of these without problems for 3 years on previous boat; will install on new boat soon: NMEA to WiFi: NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Gateway Yacht Devices WiFi Gateway

It broadcasts all the NMEA 2000 info onto WiFi to pick up with SeaIQ, Aqua Map, or whatever apps you like. So you can see the location data, engine data, whatever.

You folks are way too complicated.

Get a 5 lb danforth with 1/4 line, throw it over beside the main anchor, lead the line back down the hatch, tie it to a pot on the table and snooze till the pot comes clattering off the table, no electronics involved.

I like it. Almost sounds like something Simi 60 would have suggested.

I use anchor pro both on the phone and on the tablet, but have found out that I cannot put the alarm next to my bed. Problem is that the GPS loses accuracy down in the stateroom and that will set off the anchor alarm. Many times it had me jumping out of bed, starting the engines, running to the windlass, only to find out that the anchor chain was absolutely vertical in the water.
So now I leave the phone and tablet in the pilot house where the accuracy is not affected and I sleep much better. I do plan to install a speaker next to my pillow, because I have found out I sleep a bit too well, I don't wake up from any alarm, my wife however does wake up and then she wakes me up.

I use anchor pro both on the phone and on the tablet, but have found out that I cannot put the alarm next to my bed. Problem is that the GPS loses accuracy down in the stateroom and that will set off the anchor alarm. Many times it had me jumping out of bed, starting the engines, running to the windlass, only to find out that the anchor chain was absolutely vertical in the water.
So now I leave the phone and tablet in the pilot house where the accuracy is not affected and I sleep much better. I do plan to install a speaker next to my pillow, because I have found out I sleep a bit too well, I don't wake up from any alarm, my wife however does wake up and then she wakes me up.

An external Bluetooth GPS unit could help with that. They have better reception than phone GPS or could be placed some distance from the phone.

I have this one (which previously I used in airplanes) and it has great reception. It's kind of overkill with all the GPS devices many boats have now, but has its uses: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Multipurpose Portable Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver https://a.co/d/dRxQxuE

Even better is this one I also have but it has been discontinued: Bad Elf GPS Pro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom