$ 650,000.00 Bottle of Rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garbler

Guru
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
You’re a yacht broker and a good one. You’ve been in the business about twenty years and worked for some of the best houses West and East coast from Ardell, Alden, Northrop Johnson, Fraser, and finally East Coast Yacht Sales. Business has been way off so you need this deal in order to land a new house your wife and kids have set their minds on in Falmouth, Cape Cod. You’ve been renting in Yarmouth, Maine and it’s driving the wife up the wall. But this deal will settle accounts and you’ve been working for damn near five months with both parties. You have years of experience sailing and charter skippering big high end sail and motorsailers in the Caribbean and know these big Swans. The buyer wants the boat and business is forcing the owner to move on. It’s finally going to survey and I’m on the road at dark thirty heading for Newport, RI to the Newport Offshore Shipyard to look over this big Swan 65.

It had been raining but was now turning to freezing rain as I heard it nicking the windshield. This is going to be a really sucky day for this job. Sails were already shipped to the sailmaker for inspection and the underbody and engine survey were conducted earlier showing no issues at all. Couple of loose wet stanchion bases, anchor roller chock was froze up, two sheet winches stiff and dry and most of the sheets and various line about 50% due for replacement soon. Below deck revealed a couple hoses, possible chain plate leak, galley stove gimbal locks adrift, and bilge strum missing and some emerging pinhole leaks along the bottom seam of the stainless water-lift muffler. The trip aloft was windy and cold but nothing more than leaking anchor light gasket to write up. Slip out of my chair and overalls and go below where they are waiting for me.

So we are all setting around the big saloon table, me the broker, buyer and his wife, seller and a friend. I go over the few recommendations I have and give my little speech on the overall condition, sans the sails, and expected maintenance in the next few years. The buyers is almost giggly and proposes that we open up the bottle of 25 year old Cuban ‘Ron Aneijo’ Matusalem rum to celebrate that was in the liquor locker. The owner scrunches up his face and says something very close to ‘ no way buddy ‘ in a voice that is unmistakably hostile. The buyer is amiable and says, ah come on this is a special occasion, and even the broker chimes in I’ll buy you another bottle. The owner’s attitude is very odd almost scary to the buyers and broker and he tells the broker to “ stay out of this “ . Whoa ! I step up away from the dinette and blend into the background over at the nav station. The seller then goes into this diatribe how the bottle it’s not for sale. He has had it for many years and no “ wannabe yachtsman “ is going to open it.

By now the buyer and wife are standing up and say something like you were suppose to remove anything that was not included in the sale, so you can keep your -x-x+x-x-x-x bottle and your Dinty Moore stew cause this deal is OFF. They get up and leave. I’m watching the broker all this time and it was very hard watching him fall apart. When the owner stomped out I came over and and told him how sorry I was, but he has his head down on the table and I doubt he even heard me. Fact is if that seller has not taken the rum I’m sure the broker would have drank it with a little help from yours truly. I never really felt sorry for a broker before this, all the hours, weeks, calls, miles lost over a bottle of rum. He still has a wife at home and I sure hope she isn’t planning a celebration.

Rick

That's a $100 bottle of rum according to Google. For that you scotch a $650K purchase. Boy, now that's a story to tell over drinks at the Black Pearl on a cold, wet winter night.

Good story thanks. Seller sounds like a real piece of work. Normally the seller is at least as enthusiastic as the buyer.

Last edited:
That's a $100 bottle of rum according to Google. For that you scotch a $650K purchase. Boy, now that's a story to tell over drinks at the Black Pearl on a cold, wet winter night.

Ahhh making me long for the Black Pearl! One of my favorite spots (among several) when in Newport.

Excellent chowder, and excellent Dark & Stormies.

That's one of the best "deal breaker" stories I've heard yet.

Yeah, people unclear on the concept...

Especially now when you can get anything on the internet....thinking their might be a story behind that particular bottle and the seller thought he could never get another?

Just don't make sense.

Caesar`s Bowl

"Caesars Bowl": the water bowl of the deceased family pet parrot. The one thing ,in a substantial matrimonial property dispute, the parties could not/would not agree who got it. Leading to a long expensive contested hearing.

When someone digs in, unreasonably or not, the words "caesar`s bowl", may be heard.

You’re a yacht broker and a good one. You’ve been in the business about twenty years and worked for some of the best houses West and East coast from Ardell, Alden, Northrop Johnson, Fraser, and finally East Coast Yacht Sales. Business has been way off so you need this deal in order to land a new house your wife and kids have set their minds on in Falmouth, Cape Cod. You’ve been renting in Yarmouth, Maine and it’s driving the wife up the wall. But this deal will settle accounts and you’ve been working for damn near five months with both parties. You have years of experience sailing and charter skippering big high end sail and motorsailers in the Caribbean and know these big Swans. The buyer wants the boat and business is forcing the owner to move on. It’s finally going to survey and I’m on the road at dark thirty heading for Newport, RI to the Newport Offshore Shipyard to look over this big Swan 65.

It had been raining but was now turning to freezing rain as I heard it nicking the windshield. This is going to be a really sucky day for this job. Sails were already shipped to the sailmaker for inspection and the underbody and engine survey were conducted earlier showing no issues at all. Couple of loose wet stanchion bases, anchor roller chock was froze up, two sheet winches stiff and dry and most of the sheets and various line about 50% due for replacement soon. Below deck revealed a couple hoses, possible chain plate leak, galley stove gimbal locks adrift, and bilge strum missing and some emerging pinhole leaks along the bottom seam of the stainless water-lift muffler. The trip aloft was windy and cold but nothing more than leaking anchor light gasket to write up. Slip out of my chair and overalls and go below where they are waiting for me.

So we are all setting around the big saloon table, me the broker, buyer and his wife, seller and a friend. I go over the few recommendations I have and give my little speech on the overall condition, sans the sails, and expected maintenance in the next few years. The buyers is almost giggly and proposes that we open up the bottle of 25 year old Cuban ‘Ron Aneijo’ Matusalem rum to celebrate that was in the liquor locker. The owner scrunches up his face and says something very close to ‘ no way buddy ‘ in a voice that is unmistakably hostile. The buyer is amiable and says, ah come on this is a special occasion, and even the broker chimes in I’ll buy you another bottle. The owner’s attitude is very odd almost scary to the buyers and broker and he tells the broker to “ stay out of this “ . Whoa ! I step up away from the dinette and blend into the background over at the nav station. The seller then goes into this diatribe how the bottle it’s not for sale. He has had it for many years and no “ wannabe yachtsman “ is going to open it.

By now the buyer and wife are standing up and say something like you were suppose to remove anything that was not included in the sale, so you can keep your -x-x+x-x-x-x bottle and your Dinty Moore stew cause this deal is OFF. They get up and leave. I’m watching the broker all this time and it was very hard watching him fall apart. When the owner stomped out I came over and and told him how sorry I was, but he has his head down on the table and I doubt he even heard me. Fact is if that seller has not taken the rum I’m sure the broker would have drank it with a little help from yours truly. I never really felt sorry for a broker before this, all the hours, weeks, calls, miles lost over a bottle of rum. He still has a wife at home and I sure hope she isn’t planning a celebration.

Rick

Thanks for sharing! Tricky situation, and timing critical. Hindsight of course is 20/20. In retrospect, seller was feeling he had given up everything he had to, to secure the sale and was clearly in no mood to celebrate - let alone at his expense. Broker might have been quick enough to offer a bottle of nice champagne from his funds. Would that have made a difference? And would it have been available there/then? Probably not. So the situation played out. Broker learned a lesson, have a chilled bottle of something nice ready for the occasion!

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing. But...Yarmouth, Maine, is a great place! I lived next door in Cumberland Foreside for 20 years. Of course, you must not mind the cold if you're to enjoy it. But if you don't mind the cold, some winters you can walk across Broad Cove to Sturdivant Island. Not everyone's (frozen) cup of tea I understand...

Broker tried his best. Offered to buy the bottle.

Doesn't matter eh? Yeah people are weird.

Does not make any sense. Was the bottle that expensive or not? If it was that valuable it should not have been on the boat.

If it was not that valuable but had sentimental value to the owner, he should have suggested, "I'll make a quick run to the liquor store and but the most expensive bottle they have"

pete

This is a "dog bites man" story. Far from rare. Experienced realtors and brokers have tons of stories like this.

Frankly, the buyer had a set of cojones to "buy a round of drinks" using the sellers liquor cabinet. In what universe is that okay?

Peter

That's one of the best "deal breaker" stories I've heard yet.

Yeah, people unclear on the concept...

Especially now when you can get anything on the internet....thinking their might be a story behind that particular bottle and the seller thought he could never get another?

Just don't make sense.

Makes perfect sense. This wasn't about the rum. It was about a guy and his boat having someone walk in thinking he owns the place a bit prematurely. Y'all know how passionate people are about their boat.

There is a reason brokers keep buyers and sellers apart. Why they were together during a surveyor readout is the part that doesn't make sense. There is no universe where that's a good idea. I'm surprised the broker facilitated the group readout; surprised the surveyor participated in it. Surveyors sole responsibility is to the buyer, not the broker and certainly not the seller.

Gotta ask Rick, what was the thinking here? Obviously, ton of potential downside. I see near zero upside to an audience of your client and those who's interests are unaligned with his or her interests.

Peter

Last edited:
The only excuse I see Peter, is that if they were about to close on the sale, the buyer presumed that the seller had removed all personal items not included and the rum went with the boat. A couple times when I've sold my own boat, I left a bottle of champagne on board for the new owners. I'm not excusing any party in this instance, but can see how there may have been a misunderstanding.

The only excuse I see Peter, is that if they were about to close on the sale, the buyer presumed that the seller had removed all personal items not included and the rum went with the boat. A couple times when I've sold my own boat, I left a bottle of champagne on board for the new owners. I'm not excusing any party in this instance, but can see how there may have been a misunderstanding.
Sounded like a survey and readout to me - no way to know what negotiations had transpired beforehand. But who knows. Maybe literary license.

Peter

Sounded like a survey and readout to me - no way to know what negotiations had transpired beforehand. But who knows. Maybe literary license.

Peter

You may be right, and I agree best not to have both parties present. I suspect the seller needed to sell and wasn't happy about the price and maybe some of the survey issues caused further price pressure or just frustration. Most of us get defensive about people criticizing our boats and those conversations are best handled by the broker, not directly. A good broker will work both sides effectively so neither feels like they got taken.

So let me boil the story down. Owner is selling his Swan 65 (a really, really nice boat - the type of boat an owner cherishes), perhaps due to economic distress. Surveyor shows up and does the entire inside survey and rigging of a 65-foot yacht in one short day (assume freezing rain means winter months). Then the broker – purportedly an eminently experienced broker – sits buyer and seller in saloon for a pow-wow where seller gets told his Swan 65 is an ugly baby and likely feels ganged-up upon.

If I were the buyer, I’d be pissed at my surveyor for unprofessionalism in sharing the survey with anyone other than me.

If I were the seller, I’d be pissed at my broker for stupidity in thinking this was a good idea. Ever heard of 'read the room, pal?'

If I were the broker, I'd be pissed the surveyor for saying whatever he said without a filter.

If I were the surveyor, I'd be running for the companionay, pissed at the broker for not managing the the situation.

If that's not enough, buyer decides it’s a good time to raid the seller’s liquor cabinet and offer everyone a drink. To toss salt in the wound, the broker – the seller’s broker – tries to make light of it.

I'm guessing there is some literary license here to make for a good story. But if it went anywhere close, I could not see this more differently than the majority of comments admonishing the seller. In my eyes, he was the only one who acted reasonably and rationally. Everyone else…..not so much. I’d toss them off my boat too.

Definitely not about the rum.

Peter

Last edited:
When my wife and I got married, we splurged and served two bottles of wine at our reception bottled in each of the two years we were born. Hers was very good. Mine -- the far more expensive one -- had gone skunky. We poured it out over the balcony railing outside the reception hall and saved the bottle. In this case, we're talking about a $100 bottle of rum on a $650K boat. Even if it did have sentimental value, seems to me the seller was way too attached, to the rum or the boat or both. Should have had a toast and saved the bottle if he's so attached. I may have great affection for my house (and boat, and...) but when you sell something, the buyers can paint it pink or do whatever they want. If he didn't really want to sell, fine, don't, but I think the rum was just an excuse.

So let me boil the story down. Owner is selling his Swan 65 (a really, really nice boat - the type of boat an owner cherishes), perhaps due to economic distress. Surveyor shows up and does the entire inside survey and rigging of a 65-foot yacht in one short day (assume freezing rain means winter months). Then the broker – purportedly an eminently experienced broker – sits buyer and seller in saloon for a pow-wow where seller gets told his Swan 65 is an ugly baby and likely feels ganged-up upon.

If I were the buyer, I’d be pissed at my surveyor for unprofessionalism in sharing the survey with anyone other than me.

If I were the seller, I’d be pissed at my broker for stupidity in thinking this was a good idea. Ever heard of 'read the room, pal?'

If I were the broker, I'd be pissed the surveyor for saying whatever he said without a filter.

If I were the surveyor, I'd be running for the companionay, pissed at the broker for not managing the the situation.

If that's not enough, buyer decides it’s a good time to raid the seller’s liquor cabinet and offer everyone a drink. To toss salt in the wound, the broker – the seller’s broker – tries to make light of it.

I'm guessing there is some literary license here to make for a good story. But if it went anywhere close, I could not see this more differently than the majority of comments admonishing the seller. In my eyes, he was the only one who acted reasonably and rationally. Everyone else…..not so much. I’d toss them off my boat too.

Definitely not about the rum.

Peter

I’m with you on this one.

The one additional point that I would mention is that this meeting was way too early to celebrate. The seller just learned he’s getting some kind of haircut, and hasn’t yet seen a penny of his money. Deals aren’t done until they are done, a concept which was well demonstrated here.

I think as Peter pointed out so well, it wasn't about the rum!

Speaking of "Not about the rum," reminds me of a short video "It's not about the nail" that describes how men and women differ in how they process problems. Nothing to do with boats, but a good chuckle at around 1-1/2 minutes.

https://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg

Peter

I gotta wonder:

1. Did the owner ever sell the boat?
  2. How long did it take to sell it (if sold)?
  3. Did he use the same broker to do it?
  4. What was the sale price vs what he could have gotten from this couple?
  5. What happened to that $650,000.00 bottle of rum?:D
Inquiring minds want to know!:dance::whistling:

Wow this whole situation is regretful. This is why brokers (real estate and yacht) would prefer that seller and buyer never meet.

As a broker buddy of mine says "Nothing will kill a good sale better than a seller"

My guess is the bottle probably had sentimental value to the owner. Both parties were really being a sticklers. It's not like it was Papi Van Winkle!!!

People forget stuff all the time. It should be fairly clear that a liquor bottle is not part of the boat. The 'remove it loose it' really has to do with boat lines, boat poles, PFD's, Shore Power cables, etc.

Consumables weren't really in the heart of that concept. (nobody really thinks pantry contents are part of a house/boat sale). The buyer was kind of a jerk for pushing the subject. The seller could have rationally explained why he wanted to keep the bottle.

IMHO neither party had their heart's in that sale.

Last edited:
"The buyer was kind of a jerk for pushing the subject."

Kind of? Demanding a drink from a host's bottle after the host declined is pretty rude behavior in any circumstance. The host has no obligation to explain his reasons.

Wow this whole situation is regretful. This is why brokers (real estate and yacht) would prefer that seller and buyer never meet.

As a broker buddy of mine says "Nothing will kill a good sale better than a seller"

My guess is the bottle probably had sentimental value to the owner. Both parties were really being a sticklers. It's not like it was Papi Van Winkle!!!

People forget stuff all the time. It should be fairly clear that a liquor bottle is not part of the boat. The 'remove it loose it' really has to do with boat lines, boat poles, PFD's, Shore Power cables, etc.

Consumables weren't really in the heart of that concept. (nobody really thinks pantry contents are part of a house/boat sale). The buyer was kind of a jerk for pushing the subject. The seller could have rationally explained why he wanted to keep the bottle.

IMHO neither party had their heart's in that sale.
The transaction sequence doesn't make sense. Short 1-day survey immediately followed by big reveal of survey that day,, then celebrate the sale - all within the same day. Swan 65, not a small and inexpensive boat, the owner of a boat like that is not a rube.

Polemics aside, has anyone ever participated in a boat transaction that even remotely resembles this cadence? Seems like everyone got what they deserved.

Peter

Yeah, I agree the broker did a boner getting everyone together. I know realtors ask you to vacate during an open house. Had to be because of difficulty with logistics and weather. Still not a good idea.

The buyers sound like a pair of entitled yuppies and the the captain a crusty old "Mainer". Yeah like oil and water, don't mix well.

Broker should have had the captain out to dinner while the buyers sat on board with the surveyor and signed off their acceptance and left.

Good story. Sounds as if even the spacious saloon of a Swan 65 couldn't fit all of the egos.

Seems like everyone involved got exactly what they deserved. Nothing.

Well, except the surveyor, he probably got paid.

Last edited:
Interesting story and I did not see the what was coming. Educational it be.

Later,
Dan

I've bought and sold boats directly and through brokers. When a broker was involved, the buyer and seller never met and the broker did a good job of negotiating and rationalizing pricing and repairs/issues. Maybe the story didn't unfold exactly as told, but it really doesn't make sense that the surveyor reveals what he found immediately to both buyer and seller. That's a recipe for disaster and also doesn't sound very professional. Shouldn't he have documented his findings first and presented the report to the broker first?

The buyer has the rights to the survey, he pays for it.

Yeah, usually the surveyor prepares the document and gives it to the buyer (only) because he paid for it.

The told story (as it is) has just everything wrong with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom