454 Crusaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if the timing was way off, it would fire at some point and make some noise if you have spark and fuel. It might flames out of the carburetor or an explosion in the exhaust system, but it'll make some noise...

My guess is there's no spark. There isn't a whole lot to the ignition system, you should have constant +9ish volts to the coil + and pulsed ground to the coil - while the engine is turning over. If you don't, the problem is upstream of the coil. If you do, the problem is downstream of the coil, or the coil itself. I'd bet there's a ground wire or connector somewhere that's supposed to be connected to the engine and it's loose or hanging in space.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is your boat equipped with a kill switch and lanyard?

Is there spark? I would check there before going to crazy then verify TDC for no 1 cylinder and set the distributor if its not a electronically controlled ignotion.

Just saw you said you have spark. I remember them left hand motors the tdc is 180 out then norm. Have the rotor almost at 10:30 ish pionting to no1 cylinder at tdc should get you close dont forget the little spin the distributor does when inserting it into the block when the gears mesh. Almost want to back off a little before stetting it in.

Last edited:
I would try starting with ether, just to eliminate fuel and carburation / injection issues.

And I should go back and re-read, but is there a difference between the idea that the distributor is 180 degrees off vs my thought that the crankshaft was 360 degrees off? Because the distributor idea sure seems to have more acceptance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom