ZF Commander shifter ( elrctronic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SILENTKNIGHT

Vessel Name
STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Make
2006 MAINSHIP 34T
I have 2 shifters upper & lower helm , ....I usually drive from up top. My question is if im underway uptop travelling at slow speen 4 knts, can i go to my lower helm and press the remote button and resume while in motion? Or do i have to put completley in neutral before switching. 232150-ZF-Mathers-MicroCommander-Single-Engine-Control-Black-w-Chrome-Lever_0.jpg

We have ZF electric controllers (dual levelers on a single controller running twin engines). When changing the control station, it give a short time (only a few seconds) to adjust throttle speed before switching to whatever the new command station is set to. This can lead to a very quick deceleration off of plane.

Our general rule-for safety purposes-is to be at neutral or slow forward indent before shifting stations.

I don't know the answer. It seems to me if you changed to a different station where that shifter was in neutral at idle, wouldn't your transmission shift to neutral and the engine go to idle? Also, if someone accidentally hit the other station activation button, would that mean you would loose control? I don't know, but it seems likely shifting to neutral would be required to change control stations.

Ted

it's explained in the manuals if you have them. the idea is to set the control lever at the approximate matching position before the new one takes control. i can't remember if the new one needs to be in neutral when you push the button or not, but there is a few seconds lag for you to set the position before it takes control. with a little practice it's not a big deal, especially at low speeds.

Beware that much of this behavior is programmable in the controller, so different installations can behave differently. Hunt down the manual and give it a read. As I recall it was very complete.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the units and have better experiences with the concept than I did, before ripping the whole thing out in favor of something more dependable.

I think it would be best to just do it old school, and stop while underway in neutral then switch stations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom