winterization of washer/dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may have reliable heat
I lost ac twice in November when the pedestal breaker tripped. Winterization is definitely warrantted.

I know I keep asking, but as a fellow liveaboard I do not understand.

You live on your boat.

So... you keep it warm.

If a breaker trips you reset it.

Or you start the generator, or the mains.

Or do you abandon ship?

Once I ran my generator 24X7 for over a week to keep the boat warm in Alaska. During that time I suplimented the diesel furnaces with electric heat, plus the heat from the warm generator motor.

A dock mate was in a pickle. He ran his main and put it in gear for how long I do not know.

the breaker may trip when I'm away e.g. in a vacation, or absent during the daytime. it will be inconvenient. winterization really adds a piece of mind so you know even if power goes out, the pipes and machines are still guarded by the antifreeze

I know I keep asking, but as a fellow liveaboard I do not understand.

You live on your boat.

So... you keep it warm.

If a breaker trips you reset it.

Or you start the generator, or the mains.

Or do you abandon ship?

Once I ran my generator 24X7 for over a week to keep the boat warm in Alaska. During that time I suplimented the diesel furnaces with electric heat, plus the heat from the warm generator motor.

A dock mate was in a pickle. He ran his main and put it in gear for how long I do not know.

Not exactly the same, but you could use the same logic with a house or apartment. Either way, you wouldn’t be able to do laundry for half the year.

Not exactly the same, but you could use the same logic with a house or apartment. Either way, you wouldn’t be able to do laundry for half the year.

yes not the same
a house is less sensitive to freezing temp though usually more expensive. In my memory, the plumbing pipes/faucets did well in freezing and thawing cycles.

the breaker may trip when I'm away e.g. in a vacation, or absent during the daytime. it will be inconvenient. winterization really adds a piece of mind so you know even if power goes out, the pipes and machines are still guarded by the antifreeze

So what about the rest of the plumbing on the boat?

If you are living aboard, presumably you need the use of your sinks, heads, shower.

Are you winterizing these as well, or just the washing machine?

you are right. I plan to install a diesel heater and keep it on low in my absence. this only covers the living space, not including the sundeck

So what about the rest of the plumbing on the boat?

If you are living aboard, presumably you need the use of your sinks, heads, shower.

Are you winterizing these as well, or just the washing machine?

you are right. I plan to install a diesel heater and keep it on low in my absence. this only covers the living space, not including the sundeck

OK, now I understand.

Your washer is outside???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom