Where should I live???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beginning to think this whole thing is just a fantasy

Pleasure boating is and holds much fantasy... often times and luckily for many it manifests in many ways to come true!

Talking about boating with someone who does not have at least a degree of our marine fantasies is like talking to a wall.

Here's to hoping that RR's fantasy is strong enough to have his style of boating come to fruition... for him!

RR - You've been asked plenty of times... "What's Your Budget?" That the starting point to at least fairly accurately and reasonably recognize before getting into boating of any sort.

Another consideration is your level of boating experience, as I’m not sure you mentioned that. I’m not intending to be condescending here, but some areas are more forgiving if you are new to coastal cruising or even rusty. Something to consider at least. Navigating the shallows of Florida still makes me anxious, and understanding tides and currents that can create massive whirlpools in parts of the PNW is paramount. I have seen trawlers and sail boats spun around in the narrows. I plan, study and seek knowledge constantly, and I currently stay in a relatively small area. To to take away from the romance, but it’s not all fun and games ?

So he takes your advice, moves to the PNW, buys a boat..... does the necessary repair, goes out on a week long cruise and decides he doesnt like the PNW.
Back to square one and it is all your fault.
Dont expect a Christmas card from him.

I say, go to a boating school and take classes one navigation and engine maintenance. Rent a boat any boat over 30ft, employ a training captain for a week.... Then make a few more decisions.

San Carlos Sonora Mexico. Has got it all, and generally has a good selection of well outfitted boats for sale (it’s a divorce port)

Pleasure boating is and holds much fantasy... often times and luckily for many it manifests in many ways to come true!

Talking about boating with someone who does not have at least a degree of our marine fantasies is like talking to a wall.

Here's to hoping that RR's fantasy is strong enough to have his style of boating come to fruition... for him!

RR - You've been asked plenty of times... "What's Your Budget?" That the starting point to at least fairly accurately and reasonably recognize before getting into boating of any sort.

The fact that he has avoided that question multiple times, and other responses, kind of feels like talking to a wall. Hoping I'm wrong, just my opinion.

My personal opinion is he is a guy that sits in his apartment and wishes he could get out and see the world on a boat but I doubt has the money to do anything it’s not as romantic as you think you need funds if you have funds everything else will work out however without them you will be living in a marina on the down low because you won’t be able to tell anybody you’re a live aboard unless you’re lucky enough to find a live aboard slip anyways let us know your budget and I could be very helpful in guiding you in the right direction as I’ve been doing this for over 30 years

Is the part of the thread where TF’ers turn on the newbie? Come on people give advice not armchair judgement.

We were ALL dreamers at one point.

Sorry I guess my basic personality is going to be difficult to understand , basically trying to get him to answer the question that everybody else has been trying to get him to answer what is his budget which led me to the conclusion that I came to , not trying to give the new guy a hard time just trying to get him to answer the obvious question , I am new two and it’ll probably take some getting used to seeing as how it’s easy to hurt peoples feel good on this forum my wife says that I’m a ##### she’s probably right

"Where should I live?" This is the only question the OP wants some answer to. Give him a break: He's 57 yrs old. You can't assume he's not already aware of the expense, logistics, etc. He doesn't feel these are necessary to mention, because he only wants to know your preferences of cruising/boat availability areas. I think he's looking for feedback on a variety of cruising areas from people in those areas, or who have experienced them. That's all.

If he can get one or two people responding from each area w/ their likes/dislikes, that's all he wants. Give him a break.

Last edited:
In my opinion he’s giving us two little information to gave him a good answer. If other people are reading this they might have interest in the subject as well which is what I was thinking mainly answering this question to the other people reading it you have to have a budget in mind in Southern California where I just recently bought my Nordic 26 the slip that it was in is $600 a month for a 26 foot boat. so it really doesn’t make a difference where in the country he would like to start looking for a boat I think that’s been expressed by others fairly well personally for me it’s where I like the weather best I don’t like hot humid I don’t like real cold so the Pacific Northwest suits me I can’t imagine sitting in my boat having to run the air conditioner . certainly aren’t going to do that on the hook so anyways I’ll stay on the sidelines on this one don’t wanna hurt anybody’s feel goods so that’s about it I guess

RR - as RT requested more than once... [although I may have missed your answer] what is your budget?

I'll somewhat categorize:

What is your initial purchase price budget?

Thereafter; what is tour annual live aboard budget?

Art
Hey Art and RT,

My budget to purchase the vessel is around $65K-$80K. As luck would have it, I don't have a tremendous nut to meet each month, so my income just keeps adding up with nowhere but investment to go. This doesn't mean I'm rich at all...nope! It does mean that, once I make the initial purchase, every penny I make moving forward is available to replace systems, etc. My annual total budget is around $60K.

Is the part of the thread where TF’ers turn on the newbie? Come on people give advice not armchair judgement.

We were ALL dreamers at one point.
Thank you. I do understand that there are people who spend a lot more time on this board than I do. While I've tried to be as transparent in my posts as I can, I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to respond to anyone INSISTING I answer their post immediately if not sooner. For all of those folks out there who would rather shoot arrows my way over good advice, don't expect a response from me at all.

Thank you. I do understand that there are people who spend a lot more time on this board than I do. While I've tried to be as transparent in my posts as I can, I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to respond to anyone INSISTING I answer their post immediately if not sooner. For all of those folks out there who would rather shoot arrows my way over good advice, don't expect a response from me at all.

Well, if you're going to ask questions then often one attempting to answer needs more information to answer intelligently. You don't want to respond then don't expect others to. This is a prime example. I don't by any intent demean what you're prepared to spend, but it changes my thoughts to suggest you also consider something entirely different and that is inland boating. There are thousands of miles of rivers and a more modestly priced boat that may not be adequate for the coasts may be ideal for them. For instance, in the SE, both the TN and the Cumberland rivers. Chattanooga and Knoxville are two favorites of ours. We love Pickwick. The Cumberland is the houseboat capital. Even the TN Tom is workable. If the amount you mentioned is all you have to spend on a boat, I'd be very hesitant of jumping into the boat ownership world without a lot more research and exploration first. I ask this one question rhetorically so no answer required or requested: If you spent that and lost every bit of it and were left without the money or boat, do you have a Plan B for recovery? Boat purchases and ownership can go terribly awry and I'd encourage anyone to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

One more comment to all. Don't start threads unless prepared to actively participate and respond to questions. It's give and take. You can't solicit information if you're not willing to share yourself.

Hey Ross. Just a quick thought:

- we boat in Door County, WI in the summer (few times per year), but live in Colorado like you.
- note that they boating season in the great lakes areas is very short - think "Summit County" weather, and NOT Denver. We were in WI week before memorial day and only about 1/3 of the boats were even in the water yet.
- as such, you have a pretty short window to find a place to live, check out boats, and before you know it.... October is here, and you need to get it out of the water again.

That being said, it'd be great to find a freshwater boat for sale. There was a Nordhavn ($$$ more than you want to spend) in MI for sale, but it was one of the very few trawlers that I see in my searches in the Great Lakes area. Lots of Grand Banks, though.

How about buying a used motorhome and traveling where you want during your boat search?

I really don't understand why this thread devolved into judging the OP for attributes that can only be guessed at, probably inaccurately, instead of answering his questions with both the good and the bad and yes, the ugly too.

You can choose not to respond if you are tired of giving advice. Though I'm pretty active here I would hope that if I step away for a day or three that a question I asked didn't blow up in my absence, sheesh.

Last edited:
RoostersReward--check out the Chesapeake Bay area. Lots of Live aboard marinas. Lots of boats for sale, lots of DIY boat yards. Lots of marine services. You get the point. Annapolis and Baltimore area has plenty of everything AND it is close to BWI airport. My 34 year old son has been living on a 44' trawler for 8 years and loves it. He lives onboard at one of the big nice marinas in Baltimore harbor area--parking, pool, gym, laundry, floating docks. What ever boat you buy, make sure you have good A/C. He heats with the oil filled space heaters during the winter. We call the Chesapeake Bay "The land of Pleasant Living" for a reason. Best wishes on your search.

To the OP,
We have lived aboard our 4588 Bayliner for 11 years here in the Puget Sound (PNW). When the weather is good, in my opinion, you cannot find a more beautiful place to boat. That being said, the good weather is something that is short lived here. Add to this that finding a live aboard slip any where in the PNW is very difficult. Prices of property are ridiculous and that has driven people to buy boats and move on board.

Further, the inventory of vessels is very limited. To the point that I know people with 45, 47 and 49 Bayliners, 49 Tolley and some others, that have sold their boat with or without advertising in as little as 2 days to 2 weeks, for full asking price or close to it. Some paid cash and waived the survey. Crazy.

If you are looking to get the most for you money, I would think that anywhere on the East Coast would be better than here. Also, for shear inventory, I would think that Florida would have to have the greatest concentration to draw from.

As for a place to live. I think you might have better luck finding a live aboard slip on the East Coast. The weather will also be much warmer and would imagine that the boating season would be much longer than the PNW.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
If you are interested in a transferrable, covered, live-aboard slip with a 37ft Tollycraft Sedan powered by twin Cat 3208 marine diesels
in Puget Sound, let's talk. We have connections with Captains willing to teach.
Karen and Bill

I follow the sun and low humidity - Florida in the winter, New England in the summer. Consistent cell service all the way.

How about this for an idea? Move to the Fort Lauderdale area and get your studio apartment and start your boat search. When you find a boat you like, have it surveyed and take the requisite professional advice. Hire some help to train you in operations and maintenance until you feel comfortable. In April, start out on The Great Loop. (Info at AGLCA.com). Take a year to do the 6000 nm trip. You will see a lot of the Eastern and E. Central U.S. and Southern Canada and you are likely to fall in love with a few different locations that can be your future home base. The Great Loop is an incredible experience and you'll make great friends and eexperience some terrific comraderie.

RoostersReward--check out the Chesapeake Bay area. Lots of Live aboard marinas. Lots of boats for sale, lots of DIY boat yards. Lots of marine services. You get the point. Annapolis and Baltimore area has plenty of everything AND it is close to BWI airport. My 34 year old son has been living on a 44' trawler for 8 years and loves it. He lives onboard at one of the big nice marinas in Baltimore harbor area--parking, pool, gym, laundry, floating docks. What ever boat you buy, make sure you have good A/C. He heats with the oil filled space heaters during the winter. We call the Chesapeake Bay "The land of Pleasant Living" for a reason. Best wishes on your search.
Hello Jim, and thanks for that advice. As I mentioned, I'm really looking for a landing spot from Denver to any place where there are boats aplenty to look at and check out. I've seen quite a few posts from people in the Chesapeake area that really seem to love it. Any drawbacks that come to mind I might need to be aware of, newbie boater that I am?

Hello Jim, and thanks for that advice. As I mentioned, I'm really looking for a landing spot from Denver to any place where there are boats aplenty to look at and check out. I've seen quite a few posts from people in the Chesapeake area that really seem to love it. Any drawbacks that come to mind I might need to be aware of, newbie boater that I am?

Wifey B: Chesapeake By is perfect for 5 months out of the year. :D

Attachments

• 01 Moores riverboat.jpg
    01 Moores riverboat.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 36
How about this for an idea? Move to the Fort Lauderdale area and get your studio apartment and start your boat search. When you find a boat you like, have it surveyed and take the requisite professional advice. Hire some help to train you in operations and maintenance until you feel comfortable. In April, start out on The Great Loop. (Info at AGLCA.com). Take a year to do the 6000 nm trip. You will see a lot of the Eastern and E. Central U.S. and Southern Canada and you are likely to fall in love with a few different locations that can be your future home base. The Great Loop is an incredible experience and you'll make great friends and eexperience some terrific comraderie.
Excellent logistics, Bruce and Liz. Most of the trawlers I'm considering have around a 3.5 foot draft, plus I am keeping a sharp eye out whether masts can be folded down, etc. for those really low Loop bridges, like that lowest point in Chicago, I think. This idea might really give me the experience I want in a possibly more relaxed environment, and I'm keen on meeting fellow boaters in person and creating those relationships. Plus, as I'll be looking to move at the end of September, I suppose Ft. Lauderdale is not as oppressively muggy at that time of year (a complete guess). Thanks for the input.

Yes, if doing the upper Chesapeake (for example, Baltimore) need to make sure the marina has water and pump-outs available year round.

I love the upper Chesapeake but if I was full-timing the farthest north I would be is the Norfolk, VA area in the winter time.

With such a small initial budget, I would also be looking at sailboats. Lower prices and simpler systems.

Jim

Hey Ross. Just a quick thought:

- we boat in Door County, WI in the summer (few times per year), but live in Colorado like you.
- note that they boating season in the great lakes areas is very short - think "Summit County" weather, and NOT Denver. We were in WI week before memorial day and only about 1/3 of the boats were even in the water yet.
- as such, you have a pretty short window to find a place to live, check out boats, and before you know it.... October is here, and you need to get it out of the water again.

That being said, it'd be great to find a freshwater boat for sale. There was a Nordhavn ($$$ more than you want to spend) in MI for sale, but it was one of the very few trawlers that I see in my searches in the Great Lakes area. Lots of Grand Banks, though.

How about buying a used motorhome and traveling where you want during your boat search?
You know Doc, I don't think an RV PLUS a liveaboard boat is in my future, but I thank you for your input.

We keep a boat in Ft Myers which we use in the winter, dock space is extremely scarce and expensive to rent in the winter months. Marinas would be interested in an annual customer more so than another snowbird. 60-70 foot owned docks are going for 200K to 400K plus annual operations costs.

Also have a trawler in northern Lake Huron which is remote and dockage is not scarce but the season is short and it’s a long way to water that doesn’t get hard. I would think fuel and dockage to do the loop down the east coast would be pretty cost prohibitive as well.

I personally do not think Florida summers are that bad, access to a pool helps a bunch. Maybe consider going somewhere cooler in a motor home in the July/August/September months.

Last edited:
Ross, the internet makes it relatively easy to check what's available in Newfoundland, Labrador and Nova Scotia. It's worth a look -- you may find something interesting if you take a close look and don't omit out of the way locales.

All the best of luck,

Wolfhound

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom