What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well..... I WAS flying 767's between US and Europe every week or so.... Now I'm sitting at home just over two years from retirement wondering WTF just happened....

You've got it made, Oscar. I was flying 757-767's domestic and lost my FAA medical. Try reinventing yourself at 46... We're the same age, you'll be fine...

Attachments

• 757 nose IMG_1525.jpg
    757 nose IMG_1525.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 46
I like his quote : It is important to ask your client, "What does the snow become when it melts?” Their answer will be "water", but not for a creative. For a creative guy, when snow melts it becomes "Spring". When it comes to a brand, it is our job to find that spring and create an "eternal spring".

Wait, what?

When the snow melts it becomes a river.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Thank you for the kind comments from everyone.
Syjos, it was fantastic experience and I learnt very quickly, I fell in love with the sea and wanted to be a navigating officer but had no money to take the school so I learnt in my off time. You can maybe guess what the unofficial 'cargoes' were but I got a small cut which I stuck in the bank instead of blowing it on drink and working women. I much preferred the prettier local girls in the town.
Why I never joined the navy I'll never know ! ! Life just took another direction.
It sure was varied and damned rough at times but I was determined not to stay down, when I pop my clogs I want to slide up the hole in a welter of sparks and folk can say boy did he have a helluva ride. then you can all go off to the pub and have a damn good celebration.

Reading others stories the one thing I would suggest is when your working and happy, start to dream of what you'd like to do when you retire, that will as RT says 'help you find your groove', because if you just wander through life with no ambition your not content within your soul so choose a retirement that makes you happy whatever it is.

'Beware of a man who dreams with his eyes open, for his dreams will come true' aircraftman T.E.Shaw who later became 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

Me ? I wanna do the Loop while I'm still above the sod.
Stay Positive, Stay Healthy. Stay Happy.

Last edited:
So where in Norn Iron did you live?

Wasn't Lawrence originally Chapman?

Greetings,
Mr. b. Thanks. I totally misread Mr. o's post. Sorry Mr. o. You'll be alright. Most every morning I have my WTF moments. It just surprises me that I've woken up again. It's ALL good.

Wait, what?

When the snow melts it becomes a river.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Not to confuse effect with cause, the meaning was in figurative sense about spring symbolizing the renewal of the seasons and life, in the spirit of French saying “No winter lasts forever, no spring skips it’s turn”.
Writer, author, French literature scholar, for Jacques Segela it is not the visual culture only that dominates the contemporary communication, power of the word is also fundamental.

Hi Menzies.
Ironically I worked for a year delivering newspaper at night for a Scottish company with a depot in NI called John Menzies.
I lived in Glengormley first then when I got going with my first company I built a yard on the Ballyutoag rd near Belfast. As it got bigger I built another in Trench Rd Ind Estate in Newtownabbey.
I first started boating on the sea out of Carrickfergus then found I could boat pretty much all year in Fermanagh and kept a cruiser on there for 40 yrs.
I was chairman of the Norn Iron inland waterways for 5 years and part of the team that got the Ballynamore- Ballyconnel canal (now called the Erne Shannon canal waterway) re-opened.
When I retired I brought my boat down the Erne Shannon, Shannon and then the Barrow canal to the sea and from there to the South of France. I bought a bigger boat later from Le-Boat (ex Emerald Star) Carrick-on-Shannon and brought it from Belturbet down the Shannon and from there to the South of France.

Last edited:
In high school, my family had a small boat (Owens Sea Skiff 22') on Lake Erie. Took the Power Squadron course to be able to take the boat out with my friends. Went to college to learn business / accounting. Did accounting at a bank for a few years, then got into computer programming. Did that for 35 years at another bank and retired a year ago. But, no boating in all those years until 2010 when my new (to me) wife suggested we go to the Boston boat show. That reawakened the boat interest and now we have two power boats: 1969 27' Chris Craft Commander and 1996 Nimble Wanderer 29 (a pocket trawler). We also still have the first boat we bought, an O'Day Daysailer. Got my 50 Ton Master license in 2017 and I hope to do lots of deliveries in the future.

...Reading others stories the one thing I would suggest is when your working and happy, start to dream of what you'd like to do when you retire, that will as RT says 'help you find your groove', because if you just wander through life with no ambition your not content within your soul so choose a retirement that makes you happy whatever it is....

An epic tale, your life, best told I'm sure around a crackling beach fire late at night.

I am planning on retiring as a Canada Post letter carrier this fall, after turning 60 years young. To get a full pension I'd have to work till 65, but we (my wife was/is a stay at home mom) decided to leave with the single reduced pension when we're still fit enough to enjoy the first part of our retirement years.

Our plan is to extensively explore/photograph (both on the water and hiking ashore once anchored) the north and central coasts of British Columbia. My wife specializes in macro and wildlife while I am more of a fine art/landscape type.

Figure we can get more done between the ages of 60 to 65 than we could between 65 and 70, and as I've said here before, memory banks are more important than money banks.

One thing that's holding back a firm commitment is that Posties have been without a contract for over two years and I'm waiting to see if there are going to be some detrimental rule changes imposed by the arbitrator overseeing the new contract. Once the new contract comes in, I should be able to ink in the decision.

One Covid-19 wrinkle is that I was scheduled to get some dental work done while still employed. That's been canceled until further notice as all the dentists offices are closed. A thought flickered across my brain for a moment, where I should stay working until the whole Covid thing was over, and get the dental work done while still a salaried employee for the dental coverage in our benefits plan...no way!

We have about 20 employees at our post office in the mornings while we sort our routes, and they all have partners and most have kids. That means 5 days out of 7 I'm in potential contact with about 50 people and everybody they have been in contact with for the last 6 days or so. Think I'll still leave in the fall and pay for the dental out of our savings!

I took traditional B&W darkroom work about as far as I could using large format gear with sharp and unsharp pin registered masking techniques, but they fell somewhat short. Something was missing.

The retirement plan is to marry technologies from the 15th century (intaglio press) and 21st centuries (digitally enlarged positive transparencies) to make polymer photogravures, where the finished work is ink pressed into fine papers.

Gives my stomach butterflies when I think how much there is to learn. Really good, internationally recognized photographers usually take over a year to wrangle the process under control, and even longer to feel comfortable.

Once Badger gets too much to handle, we'll switch to truck & trailer travel.

Can't wait!!!

Are everybody's posts getting longer?

Last edited:
I retired in 2015 after 36 as an environmental scientist and ombudsman working for the power company. My wife was a pharmaceutical scientist for 35 years. Solid upper middle class, but not wealthy. We have had a variety of boats over the years, but usually in the 17 - 25 ft range. Bought a fixer upper 39 ft sailboat in 2013 for about $35,000 and learned all about systems, electrical, plumbing propane, instrumentation, wood and fiberglass repair, etc. Last year, we sold the sailboat and bought what is probably our "keeper" 40 ft trawler. Spent over $200,000, but it is a lot cheaper than buying waterfront property that is stuck in one place. Like everything we own, if you use it, it's worth it. Both my parents passed away within the last 3 years and I figured that buying a nice trawler was a good way to spend my inheritance.

I retired in 2015 after 36 as an environmental scientist and ombudsman working for the power company. My wife was a pharmaceutical scientist for 35 years. Solid upper middle class, but not wealthy. We have had a variety of boats over the years, but usually in the 17 - 25 ft range. Bought a fixer upper 39 ft sailboat in 2013 for about $35,000 and learned all about systems, electrical, plumbing propane, instrumentation, wood and fiberglass repair, etc. Last year, we sold the sailboat and bought what is probably our "keeper" 40 ft trawler. Spent over $200,000, but it is a lot cheaper than buying waterfront property that is stuck in one place. Like everything we own, if you use it, it's worth it. Both my parents passed away within the last 3 years and I figured that buying a nice trawler was a good way to spend my inheritance.

Hi Gary - Welcome! Enjoy your 40'er! - Art

PS: Sent you a PM

I've spent the last ten years designing and building racecar parts and racecars for road racing.
Before that I worked on Quality Engineering on the Space Station for Boeing.

Thanks for the comebacks. Yes, I'll be fine. In fact I'm quite enjoying sitting at home. I've got 1-1/2 acres to keep me entertained, I've cleaned up the shop and know where ALL my measuring tapes, utility knives and 10mm sockets are!

The WTF was the fact that my last 10 yard dash, which was going VERY well was supposed to lead to the cash out, and serious boat buying.

Still going to happen, just going to have to be a little more creative. Good news (for me) is that there might be some sellers out there willing to "talk".....

For now just have to figure out if I want to keep flying (I'm # 1100 out of 13,000 so I don't think they'll "get to me") and if so under what kind of conditions. Because I know the man is going to come to us with his hand out. Been there done that....

Meanwhile..... I'm futsing with my little Starcraft having fun.

For now just have to figure out if I want to keep flying (I'm # 1100 out of 13,000 so I don't think they'll "get to me") and if so under what kind of conditions. Because I know the man is going to come to us with his hand out. Been there done that....

#5000 out of 13,500....I sure as hell don't hope they make it to me!

Probably not. Still going to leave a mark.

Yes it will. I am part of a mentorship group and the one thing I tried to instill is that things can go badly pretty quickly. It was amazing the attitude they had. Well I guess this is their first taste. And it is certainly going to get worse before it gets better. Luckily the market is not completely crushed. I’m actually amazed at how resilient it has been. It definitely stings but it could surely be worse.

Ran off to sea in 76, came back and worked at a University, then an Engineering Consultancy, worked for myself for 20 years designing instrumentation. Chaired Marine Bunker industry forum. Helped start marine sea water scrubbing industry. Screwed up in the recession - ouch!. Started historic home renovations in Charleston SC, then built affordable housing projects. Retired in part at some point but wife got upset with my behavior so went back to work to keep busy. Have short term rental business ongoing, building my own escape yacht (roll on 2022). Happy days y'all.

Ran off to sea in 76, came back and worked at a University, then an Engineering Consultancy, worked for myself for 20 years designing instrumentation. Chaired Marine Bunker industry forum. Helped start marine sea water scrubbing industry. Screwed up in the recession - ouch!. Started historic home renovations in Charleston SC, then built affordable housing projects. Retired in part at some point but wife got upset with my behavior so went back to work to keep busy. Have short term rental business ongoing, building my own escape yacht (roll on 2022). Happy days y'all.

Ya Baby!! Liven life to da fullest!!!

From 2016:

We sea kayaked until I was 48, then my wife got into a car accident that changed the Rules of Life.

Bought Badger (our first boat) four years ago, and now we can still get 'out there' and our daughter will also grow up knowing in her bones how amazing the north coast of BC is.

I'm a large format fine art photographer who lucked out into a letter carrier job which supports our family and boating. No big bucks here. No high paying job or prestigious title. Our goal has always been to have a happy & humble, uncomplicated Life :thumb:

UPDATE 2021

Still have Badger.

Daughter did grow up to be influenced by the environment she grew up in and will soon graduate from college in Environmental Management.

Retired 5 years early with a reduced pension, so still ascribing to the happy and humble ethic. Pretty n-n-nervous about finances in the first month or so, but with the way our RRIF is structured and the woodworking projects my wife sells we are doing the same or better than when I was working. Whew!

The 4x5 camera is lonely...now using a Fujifilm XT-2 and Epson P600 printer with plans to make polymer photogravures. These are ink on paper impressions made with etched metal plates fed through an intaglio press under great pressure.

A photographic process from the 1800's meets a press relatively unchanged from the 1400's with 21st century cameras and plate technology on paper with inks from companies that have been around for hundreds of years.

Since I'm not walking 25,000 steps a day, 5 days a week anymore on my letter carrier route I've taken up running with an eye to doing 20K...up to 9K (5.6 miles) and no injuries yet, so may actually be possible?!!?

Looking forward to loading up Badger and disappearing into the emptier corners of BC's north coast for a couple months at a time :thumb:

Last edited:
From 2016:

UPDATE 2021

Still have Badger.

Daughter did grow up to be influenced by the environment she grew up in and will soon graduate from college in Environmental Management.

Wifey B: Isn't it wonderful when your daughter decides to follow a path you know is influenced by how you raised her. :)

Wifey B: Isn't it wonderful when your daughter decides to follow a path you know is influenced by how you raised her. :)

Oh, she's in the drivers seat on that, believe me!

One of her Grandpa's worked as a chemical engineer in a polluting industry and helped develop a technology that greatly reduced emissions which the company then sold all over the world.

We tried to let her know that no matter which path one chooses, you can always leave footprints that you can be proud of in your latter years.

Retired after 29 years in law enforcement and emergency services, right as the pandemic really started rolling last year. My last two decades or so were with the (US) National Park Service, I bounced back and forth between inland mountain assignments and water-based assignments, and then management (which I don’t miss one bit.) I was lucky enough to work in every region in the country except the northeast and the pacific islands, though I did detail assignments in both too. My longest posting was in Alaska where my first son was born. I’ve been blessed to see and do some incredible things over the years.

Now I’m a state employee here in Nevada near my wife’s extended family, not a sworn LEO any more but instead training other law enforcement officers until things settle down a bit more and my family and I can decide what to do next, and where. I would like to do the loop some day, but first we’re looking hard at Puget Sound and/or back to Southeast Alaska for full timing on something big enough for the four of us...maybe?!?

Last edited:
My 'real life' work is as an owner of a beer and wine store in Richmond City, along with my partner (in crime and in life!). I'm semi-retired at 35, with a pension from the Dept. Of Veterans Affairs supplementing our business income, and live aboard our 43' Hatteras. I supplement my income with my investments.

Pretty boring, overall. ��

My 'real life' work is as an owner of a beer and wine store in Richmond City, along with my partner (in crime and in life!). I'm semi-retired at 35, with a pension from the Dept. Of Veterans Affairs supplementing our business income, and live aboard our 43' Hatteras. I supplement my income with my investments.

Pretty boring, overall. ��

Ahhh, but being semi-retired at 35 you have heaps of the most valuable asset of all; time :thumb: :thumb:

Oh, she's in the drivers seat on that, believe me!

One of her Grandpa's worked as a chemical engineer in a polluting industry and helped develop a technology that greatly reduced emissions which the company then sold all over the world.

We tried to let her know that no matter which path one chooses, you can always leave footprints that you can be proud of in your latter years.
Well congrats Murray. You did it right.

Retired since 2016. Full time cruiser now.

Did 24 years in the Air Force, combat search and rescue. Then 10 years at Bonneville Power Administration (BPA).

Corporate management of retail store construction, design & purchasing in North America. Wife and I celebrated our 1 year retirement this past January and the boat is ready to start our delayed retirement cruise with a newly trained Black Lab.

My life story

Earned my way through a bachelor's degree and then a master's degree by being an "ambulance driver". Worked full time about one semester out of every three, and 48 hours straight every weekend the rest of the semesters. Got drafted in 1972 just because I thought I would take a sabbatical to study female human anatomy in Europe, and the draft board decided it was not a worthy sabbatical. It absolutely was! Was a school counselor for a few years and then started a student tour company that my wife and I still own, although we have been "retired" since (my) age 55. My first boat at age 62, a Nordhavn 55 for three years, then boatless for several years then bought a North Pacific 49. Still own it but it is for sale because our business has forced us to contract for a while. Got back into EMS 17 years ago and achieved the highest level of provider there is, critical care paramedic. Worked for 15 years, averaging 48 hours a week, but more like 60 hours a week in the last couple of years I worked, and all for $2.65/hour. Also taught Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and was an examiner for the paramedic National Registry.

If I had it to do over again I would have started boating earlier in life. My suggestion to you would be to buy something in the mid-40' range, with two diesel engines if that would make you feel more comfortable at the helm, and with two cabins or more because you WILL have guests. The trawler life is pretty cool actually. It's basically a pretty laid-back lifestyle.

Costs are somewhat within your control. Somewhat. If you are NOT in a hurry and can take the time to shop, even a year or two, you will finally find THE BOAT, at a reasonable price and in better than average condition.

Then just have fun.

Last edited:

Wifey B, that certainly would be wonderful! Unless you daughter went into the field of Marriage Counseling, that is!:D Wouldn't know about that though . . . Both myself and my wife, first marriages, still married, and going on 33 years. I had GREAT taste in the choice of a wife!:thumb: Her taste in a husband is somewhat . . . shall we say suspect though . . . :whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom