What to do with an unloved (unused) generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
I have a welcome dilemma, I guess. I have a four year-old Onan 5 kw generator that I simply do not use. A whopping 100 hours on it. This is because I have a massive battery bank, often parallel the thruster and gen start engine batteries to make it even bigger, and am stingy with my power use. I also do not do multi-day layovers very often. I have no AC on the boat (typical PNW boat) and I am planning to upgrade to lithium and add solar panels when the current battery bank fades. That and I love the peace and quiet of no generator.

So a couple of Sunday afternoon advice requests. First, am I doing harm by not using it? It gets run now and then and I service it, but I do not load it regularly. Second, I would love to have back the space that it currently takes up. Should I sell it or just haul it out and store it? It looks like a pretty easy disconnect and access is no problem. I would have to plug the exhaust and seal off the fuel lines, but that does not strike me as all that complicated. Third, should I just shut up and live with it because it adds value to the boat should I ever want to sell it, even if I don’t use it, and the hassle or removing it is just not worth it?

I realize this is an oddball post. Most people are trying to put a genset in and I am toying with taking it out. Thanks, as always, for the unvarnished advice.

Jeff

Will it make a difference when you go to sell? If years down the road it will not matter, remove and sell it.
Install the LFP and solar before you remove it, then if still not needed go ahead and remove.
My own experience, not enough room for enough solar panels, my electrical needs require the GEN to recharge daily.

Following this thread. We have a 2004 generator with 50 hours, almost all my hours have been “well, we haven’t run it in a couple months, let’s run it for half an hour. Turn on the A/C so it has a load on it.” I’m very curious what this group has to say on the topic.

I realize that you do not use the genset much, but out of curiosity what power source heats your domestic water, the cabin air and removes the heat from inside the freezer?

How would you keep that engine start/run battery above 10.5 volts should you loose your alternator on that long run home on a cloudy, rainy day in mid December?

You might want to consider replacing the propane stove/oven with an electric one, jettisoning, anything else gas fired, along with the storage bottle/locker then spend some effort in making the genset quiet. It should not be too hard.

I think you are right in believing that you have one too many energy sources onboard, but in my mind, ac is not the one to cull.

Back
Top Bottom