What to do when someone anchors too close

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchoring location

One useful tool is a laser rangefinder, commonly used in golf. This tells you exactly how far you are away. It is often not easy to judge with accuracy. Another useful tool is bagpipes. If someone comes milling around close looking like they they are going to drop closer than you want, get out the bagpipes and start piping on the foredeck. Most people will find someone else to bother.

I find using my radar EBL function works extremely well for determining distance to other boats. And I can take screen shots if necessary. Raymarine Axiom 12RV with Quantum 2 radar.

Many Many years ago we were anchored at Norman's Cay, had been there for about a week, thru squalls and winds, we were holding very well. Guy comes in late in the afternoon, drops anchor and chain bout all at once, goes below. They were about 100+ yards away so I wasn't gonna start schooling somebody on anchoring. Come 2 or 3 am winds had picked up so I'm lookin around and maybe 30ft away spreader lights had come on and you guessed it, 4 people scrambling around on deck. I holler over "Skipper looks like you've dragged down on us" his classic reply was "How do we know you didn't drag UP on us" . It went downhill from there .

I would thing a insurance claim while anchored would be hard to prove fault..you might be there first but your boat t-bones a boat that came in 2nd .. and its the other boats fault?. yes it sucks . I take the approach of giving them the stink eye if the start to anchor too close and if the don't move I do.
Hollywood

Funny but that was me 30 years ago or so. I anchored my sailboat in a small cove that could handle 3 boats and there was one there already. My first attempt using two anchors fore and aft I got set and looked at the other boat and they were shaking their heads NO. As I drifted closer I realized they were right so I re-anchored. Again they shook their heads as I drifted towards the rocks. Third time I got it. It was a learning experience.

LIFO. Last in first out. If you come in too close to me you are leaving. You F’d up. If I come in and I’m too close, I’m moving. BTDT many times.

Last edited:
I find using my radar EBL function works extremely well for determining distance to other boats. And I can take screen shots if necessary. Raymarine Axiom 12RV with Quantum 2 radar.

Radar is the best tool for finding a location to anchor, when entering a crowded anchorage. I run with my radar on most of the time, but especially when I plan on anchoring in such an anchorage. Set on the closest range, it draws a great picture of exactly who you are too close to, so that you can find that perfect spot.

Last edited:
Story about incompetent anchoring too close.

We were in Fox Cove on Sucia Island for those familiar with Washington State's San Juan Islands. We were on a state park buoy. A few boats came in to find all the buoys taken so anchored outside the buoy field. Then along comes the clown. Motors through the anchored boats, through the buoy field. I'm thinking he'll discover that as he goes a safe distance beyond the buoyed boats he'll find there isn't enough water and go find another anchorage.

Nope. He backs into the buoy field. Ok, this doesn't look good. Now he starts motoring ahead and while motoring ahead drops his hook! Runs over the rhode and sets the brake wondering why the hook won't set. Backs down paying out more chain. He must have an 8 or 9 to one scope going. But the hook just drags. Gets far too close to another boat. Picks up the hook. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same results. After multiple attempts he finally gets the hook set. Fortunately for us he was closer to two other buoyed boats. We decide to ignore him, let the boats he's too close to deal with the situation.

Within minutes of deciding he's OK they all pile into the RIB and take off!

Range Finder

I carry a golf range finder on board. It lets you deal with other boaters with facts, and it is easy to tell if you or the boat in front of you are dragging.

Radar is teh best tool for finding a location to anchor, when entering a crowded anchorage. I run with my radar on most of the time, but especially when I plan on anchoring in such an anchorage. Set on the closest range, it draws a great picture of exactly who you are too close to, so that you can find that perfect spot.

I agree with you, the radar accurately tells the distances to other boats or other objects. The eyes often lie that the distances are shorter, with the radar you can see precisely and you can check the distances.

NBs

Anchor symbol displayed

Question;

In case your first to drop and flying a valid properly displayed Anchor Symbol and a collision takes place. Where in the equation does the properly displayed anchor symbol “help” your defense in the case of a claim ? Just asking for a friend ⚓

Question;

In case your first to drop and flying a valid properly displayed Anchor Symbol and a collision takes place. Where in the equation does the properly displayed anchor symbol “help” your defense in the case of a claim ? Just asking for a friend ⚓

It helps your case but still doesn't make it airtight.

The maritime courts usually search deep for if you did everything in your power to prevent a collision. The Colregs require what you should do if anchored, but are a bit vague as to what may happen if you do the basics but something bad still happens. Pretty sure they do say someplace or legal experts say "that's what the courts are for".

And we know how that can go.....:D

Yes, very helpful for determining actual distance - something that can be very hard to do visually on the water. And the golf range finders mentioned earlier are really helpful and easy to use.

Question;

Without an anchor ball, by definition, your have contributed to the collision (not properly signaling your status) by X%. What percent that is is determined by insurance carriers.

So, with an anchor ball and anchored in designated anchorage (or not in a channel etc.) I would think you are good to go and should not incur liability (barring any other facts).

Without an anchor ball, by definition, your have contributed to the collision (not properly signaling your status) by X%. What percent that is is determined by insurance carriers.

So, with an anchor ball and anchored in designated anchorage (or not in a channel etc.) I would think you are good to go and should not incur liability (barring any other facts).

I might agree in a designated anchorage as you are not even required to show lights/dayshapes or keep a live watch.

Anyplace else and you are taking a chance.

For those that may not know, many popular anchorages are NOT designated anchorages which are spelled out in the CFRs.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...f the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.30.)

"A special anchorage area is a designated water area within which vessels less than 65 feet (20 meters) in length are not required to sound signals required by Rule 35 of the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.35) or exhibit the white anchor lights or shapes required by Rule 30 of the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.30."

A British couple taught me how to take care of situations like this. Whenever someone would come into a port or anchorage and would drop their anchor too close to the anchor of the British couple they would blast the air horn (one of those horns on a cannister of compressed air). He would keep blasting away until the vessel paid attention and would move out of the way. Saw him do it 2 days in a row in a port, worked like a charm.
Out in the anchorage he would do the same, but he would also ask the captain a simple question, in a typical British manner: 'excuse me, but are you sure you can afford to pay the damage in case your boat starts dragging or bumps into mine during the night'. He told me that most people would look strange and bewildered, but in the end all of them would get the message.

Fast forward to an anchorage on the West side of Amorgos about a month ago. We are in a 5 day storm (7 to 8 Bft continuously), have 90 mtr of chain out and tied up with the stern to the shore to keep the bow in the waves. In comes a charter catamaran, just drop their anchor right in front of us, drop the minimum amount of chain, close the boat and go to shore. I sounded my horn, he stuck up his middle finger, so I called him from the bow, he told me to F*ck off.

That was the moment I decided to call the owner of the charter company. Took a while to find his number (that is when starlink comes in handy), called the guy and he actually told me that the captain was his employee, so it was not a bare boat charter. Told him exactly the reaction of his captain and asked the owner if he would pay the damage to my boat, his boat and the environment (had about 2000 liters of diesel onboard with the shore 20 mtrs behind me and a storm blowing us into the shore) if his captain would start dragging through the night in this storm and would pull us into the shore. There was no way I was going to pick up my anchor, release three shore lines in a storm so that his employee could occupy the anchorage.
Answer came quickly. After we hang up he immediately called that captain, guy came over to apologize and he moved the boat. Guy was a disgrace as a captain of a charter boat, his guests must have had a great time with him (not).

Other time we came in late at night in an anchorage near Naxos, so one thing we always do is to ask where the anchors of the other boats are, so we make sure we don't drop on them. We dropped ours, laid out 80 mtrs, but still felt too close, so picked it up, moved to a more open spot in the anchorage (more rocking and rolling), but so be it. Left early in the morning, no harm done to anyone.
Here in de Med in the summer season the amount of charter boats is astounding and many of the people on board don't know how to anchor. They also don't know that the insurance is not going to cover any damage they cause. They think the insurance will simply pay, but the charter companies won't have it. That means that the charter guests themselves are personally responsible for any damage. Good luck trying to chase them in their home countries. Therefore we have to be very alert and assertive when it comes to preventing damage. It is also the reason why we prefer to anchor in deep water. The charter boats don't have that much chain / rope so they cannot anchor in deep water. They will usually huddle and cuddle together, sometimes no more than 10 or 20 mtrs between them. When the wind picks up many start dragging and panic erupts. Then it is good to be as far away as you can.
Luckily the live aboards know how to anchor and they will keep their distance from other boats. And my experience is that, when you enter an anchorage, you ask where the anchors are of the boats closest to the spot you want to anchor, they will be friendly and forthcoming. Also sets a friendly tone and causes less stress for everyone.

I don't know if you have many charter boats in the US, but if you do I can imagine the scenes in the anchorages during the season. Not fun.

You could always ask the interloper if he is aware of the very high-voltage cable he has just anchored over. :)

I might agree in a designated anchorage as you are not even required to show lights/dayshapes or keep a live watch.

Anyplace else and you are taking a chance.

For those that may not know, many popular anchorages are NOT designated anchorages which are spelled out in the CFRs.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...f the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.30.)

"A special anchorage area is a designated water area within which vessels less than 65 feet (20 meters) in length are not required to sound signals required by Rule 35 of the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.35) or exhibit the white anchor lights or shapes required by Rule 30 of the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83.30."

Actually, the exemption only applies to "special anchorages" which are a small minority of designated anchorages.

Stay clear!

Attachments

• IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Actually, the exemption only applies to "special anchorages" which are a small minority of designated anchorages.

Stay clear!

Sorry, I mis-posted by calling them "designated" but my post and link meant it was "special anchorages" designated by the Secretary.

Last edited:

Stay clear!

This poses a question I've wondered. Such anchorages are defined in the Inland rules so I have assumed they do not apply anywhere in International waters (e.g. most of the PNW). Is that correct?

This poses a question I've wondered. Such anchorages are defined in the Inland rules so I have assumed they do not apply anywhere in International waters (e.g. most of the PNW). Is that correct?

Unless on the list in the CFR in US waters, or designated by the foreign country if NOT international waters, then the International Rules apply.

Following.......
Still scratching my head over the, if you are uncomfortable that someone anchored too close to you, and you were there first, you need to move.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom