What fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPilot

Vessel Name
Bucket List
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hello gang,

I have a SeaStar BA175-7TM.
I'm removing the unit to have it serviced. I need something to plug the pressure lines so I don't leak hyd fluid everywhere. The brass fitting appears to be 1/2 inch. Is it a regular fitting or something special? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
If you are not able to find something to cap the hoses maybe just pt them in buckets to catch the fluid. Then I would blow the lines out and fill the system with new fluid after you reinstall the cylinder. Nothing wrong with putting new fluid in since what is in there is probably as old as the boat.

This is "wrong" but it will work: buy silicone wine bottle covers/lids. They look like this:

SilliconeBottleCap-ThruHullFix.jpg

Now pair these with hose clamps and you should be all set.

Leak:
ThruHull-Leaking.jpg

Temporary fix:
ThruHull-TempFix.jpg

This held for a couple months until the owner could get the vessel into a boatyard... it is not perfect however it did buy the owner time so there is that. I believe these would work well for your situation.

Good Luck.

If you are not able to find something to cap the hoses maybe just pt them in buckets to catch the fluid. Then I would blow the lines out and fill the system with new fluid after you reinstall the cylinder. Nothing wrong with putting new fluid in since what is in there is probably as old as the boat.
The brown color speaks of old fluid. Ît was probably originally clear or a very light amber. Time to flush and refill.

When I did a complete overhaul of my steering system that is what the fluid looked like. What I captured had for lack of a better word sludge.

I use red fluid. That way a leak is easy to trace.

When I can get fluid I just opened the line at the cylinder, and slowly added fluid and let gravity do the work. No problems.

MrPilot,
Does the male fitting have an o-ring in it's face.... can't tell from the pictures.

BBS I think there is an oring in there too. Hard to see.
I ended up taking the unit off and bringing it to my local Hydraulic shop. While there they gave me some caps for the two pressure lines which I installed. Incidentally, no fluid leaked out of the lines for the few hours they were sitting there uncapped. As Portage Bay suggested I will flush and refill those lines. When I go to reinstall I should have caps on everything and hopefully it will be a much cleaner operation.
Thanks for the tips folks.

Back
Top Bottom