Westerbeke Generator 5.0 BCD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterMcK

Vessel Make
33' SF Express
Having issues troubleshooting low voltage on a Westerbeke 5.0 BCD generator.

I removed the genset shortly after purchasing my boat a few years back, as far as I am aware it was operating fine but I never had a need for it so out it came.
I have since sent the unit out for servicing as the voltage output was only 160 - 170 VAC at 50 Hz instead of 220 - 240 VAC.

First contractor checked that it was wired as per the Westerbeke manual eg. on 50 Hz connection and output of main stator windings connected to AC terminal block.
Output voltage was till low but could be varied upto 190 VAC by changing connections on AC terminal and increasing RPM.

Second contractor found that stator had been rewound previously and that seemed the problem, he did confirm that he had read the manual and understood what the resistance should be however that seems doubtful as the stator was rewound with the same low voltage result.
I insisted he calculate what the windings should be and stator was rewound again with the same result.

The unit was sent out because I did not have the time to troubleshoot it so this is the stage where I went through the manual.
Guessed that if the primary windings were not putting out enough voltage then there was a problem at the rotor windings.

Requested the second contractor to desolder and check that the two diodes on stator were functioning correctly. One of the diodes was fine, infinite resistance one way and no resistance the other way. Second diode is questionable as it has infinite resistance one way and slight resistance the other way, no numbers just observation from a video sent to me.

I will check these diodes myself next month to confirm their function as well as the dual capacitors for exciting the windings.
Strangely, there is a third capacitor in the junction box and I cannot figure out why it is connected to the dual capacitors, refer to attached sketch.

There is no ID tag on the alternator and no wiring diagram on plate at back of stator to confirm if the wiring is correct so all I have to go off are the technical manuals.

I requested a long line wiring diagram from the local Westerbeke agent and the response from Westerbeke was that they could not help as the unit had been rewound.

So, does anyone have any insights into what could be going on with the wiring or, ideally, a contact who could help me with a long line wiring diagram?

Attachments

• Capacitors.jpg
    Capacitors.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 85
Oh I have one, tks. Checked every page & no mechanic jumps out to fix mine.
And, you have a better chance of Ice water in hell than any help from Westerbeast . They just flat SUCK
Oh. btw the engine is a Mitsi K2C. Now THERES a repair manual!

Last edited:
I think rpm variance / adjustment is only intended to change frequency on that generation. 1500=50hz / 1800=60hz. if you have gone as far as disassembly and checking diodes my personal preference would be to replace and start fresh. Somewhat inexpensive at this point, you have done the labor.

Just trying to help the OP.

I'm sure will always be an unhappy customer.

If you can't help why not just move on?

Because I'm hoping if he gives up I'll be first in line for the engine!
You ever try to contact Wbeke? Or even a dealer? There are no dealers in MD, Annapolis being one would be ground zero for them. Why? Because the ones I called say even THEY get poor /no support.

“ there are no dealers in MD, Annapolis being one would be ground zero for them. Why? Because the ones I called say even THEY get poor /no support.”
FWI ….Weavers Marine on Back River in Essex 21221 are dealers for Westerbeke generators….

The (3) 30 uF caps are in series yielding 10 uF total at 3 times rated voltage.

Thanks for the comment regarding the Caps, wondering why there is an extra one hence the request for a longline diagram.
If 3 x exciting voltage then diodes maybe dodgy as suggested.
Will replace those and start troubleshooting again with only 2 caps instead of 3.

No, the series combination of capacitors reduces the capacitance but increases their voltage rating (you can run the series string at higher voltage) but has nothing to do with creating the voltage.

Also trying to figure out if I have a dual capacitor or a dual exciter alternator.
How do you tell the difference?

Rotor windings have 3.8 ohms resistance which is correct for single capacitor while dual capacitor or dual exciter should be 4.0 ohms.

Would the 0.2 ohm lower resistance point to an issue with rotor windings which would mean a rotor rewind?

Replacement diodes arrived and will be installed later this week.
Marine Energy Systems in Australia, regional Westerbeke distributor, was very helpful.

Note to others who need bridge diode set P/N 035971 for a BCD generator,
These are SEMIKRON SKR 26/16 Diodes
Singapore distributor pricing - USD 444.90 set of 2
Australia distributor pricing - AUD 368.00 set of 2
RS Components Online - USD 9.03 each

Will change wiring back to dual capacitors, guessing that third capacitor was added to try and increase voltage due to failed diode.

Will post results next week.

Was hoping someone would answer your question about the .2 ohm drop on the rotor. Don't know if that is an issue?

Usually when checking rotor this would have gone right by me as ok - looking for dead fault or something of that nature, would have assumed it was close enough.:confused:

Hoping for an update on the success of the repair.

Back
Top Bottom