Westerbeke diesel gen Obi-wan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
Needed. I have a 4.4 BCD and can't get it to even pop on ether. Can't find a decent troubleshooting guide. Fuel circulates and is present at exit from injector pump, but does not come out when cranking. Finding a Beke mechanic here mid Atlantic is a joke. Lotsa dealers " my mechanic quit".

If you have cranked on it a lot you may have enough water in the pistons to inhibit combustion. Remove the injectors and get the cylinders dried out.

pete

TKS. Gen is in my garage & has not been run for some time. I was going to squirt a little oil in each cylinder to assist the compression. But now my concern is seeing fuel in the fittings on top of the injection pump but no movement when cranked. But it should at least pop on ether & doesnt

Check compression would be my first step if its out, inside and if theres fire on either. Pull vavle cover check valves may have a stuck valve.

Checked valves. Focus now is fuel in injection output nipples yet does not gain/overflow even a drop when cranked. Compression also a suspect
TKS, keep it coming.

That's next on the list. A friend sent me an article on hull truth that gave a couple of hints too. But trying to get Phelps to splash is job #1

Some thoughts:
Post a few pics

If you disconnect the injector tube fittings on the top of the injection pump and crank:
1- The run solenoid should be energized and pulled all the way across to the stop. If not assist it by hand in the Run direction. Does this make any difference? Does it move? There was a factory wiring mod to give the solenoid better voltage.

2- Fuel should come out of the fittings in an obvious matter that the IP is pumping. Yes or No? They dont move much fuel but you can tell.
3- The cylinder like electric fuel pumps have a screen mesh filter under the bottom cap. It seems people only check the little filter next to the injection pump and NEVER touch the one in the lift pump.
Attached drawing - Check part #6

Attachments

• WesterbekeFuelFilter.PNG
    WesterbekeFuelFilter.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Very good flow thru the pump and return system. Article I referred to said varnish in slide of injector pump , that's next step.
Do you guys have a drip pan under your gens ? Trying to plan the install.

Very good flow thru the pump and return system. Article I referred to said varnish in slide of injector pump , that's next step.
Do you guys have a drip pan under your gens ? Trying to plan the install.

The factory mounting setup for my gen included a drip pan. Gen mounts to drip pan, drip pan bolts to the board that supports the whole thing. Unless it's over a confined area of the bilge, a drip pan is a good idea to minimize the risk of a leak ever making a big mess.

Tks! kinda figured on one, but this gen shows no sign of leakage at any of the low points. I'm gonna make it removeable while I 'm at it.

Do the glow plugs work? I couldn’t get mine started until I discovered them all to be bad. Replaced them and it started right up.

Meter shows voltage at preheat, and meter in panel takes a dive when I turn them on. Assume working. TKS!

The 4.4 really wont start without the glow plugs. I would pull them and hang them by the wiring and then hold down the preheat switch to check them. That large solenoid in the back is specifically for the glow plugs. The plugs should glow bright red. You might get a dip in voltage if the solenoid is pulling drawing some current but not passing current to the glow pulgs.

Just to be clear...your fuel solenoid is pulling all the way in correct? No fuel will move unless the solenoid is moving to the appropriate position. You can disconnect the solenoid and manually move the throttle if needed to check for fuel.

I have quite a few spares for the 4.4. And here is a video of my 4.4 installed in the boat and troubleshooting a hard to start 4.4. https://youtu.be/zg6iuGMTOh0

Yes. Fuel solenoid working correct. Going to pull top off injection pump next, but due to observed voltage draw they seem to be working. Couple odd things- wiring is jumped across oil press switch ,(not gauge sender) Is this NO or NC when cranking? Also all low voltage wires get HOT to the touch after cranking . If you have a troubleshooting guide, I can't find anything but minimal online.

When I said hang the glow plugs by the wire that includes adding a ground to the glow plug body of course.

Here are a few pics of the internals of the injector pump, throttle linkage and flywheel governor arm. I highly doubt your cam lobes are wiped out. You can remove the IP but its a bit tricky to get the long arm fork end back over the IP slide. To help with that you can remove the plug in the side of the case in the pics below. This will give you access to the governor linkage to move it back and forth with a socket to get it lined up. But..imo ..i would disconnect the fuel solenoid and move the arm back and forth. You should note some spring tension on one end of travel. You can then take the plug out mentioned earlier and put a socket on the nut and move that back and forth to ensure it moves and has spring perssure in one direction, and that spring pressure increases or decreases as you move the throttle arm in each direction. That would tell you internal linkage is likely good.

And I would not do any of the above until you confirm the fuel solenoid is opening your throttle linkage and you have also confirmed glow plug operation visually that they do in fact glow.

Attachments

• 20230621_145824.jpg
    20230621_145824.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230621_145848.jpg
    20230621_145848.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230621_145854.jpg
    20230621_145854.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230621_145902.jpg
    20230621_145902.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230621_145906.jpg
    20230621_145906.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230621_145914.jpg
    20230621_145914.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230621_145922.jpg
    20230621_145922.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230621_145926.jpg
    20230621_145926.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230621_145940.jpg
    20230621_145940.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230621_145835.jpg
    20230621_145835.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 29
Yes. Fuel solenoid working correct. Going to pull top off injection pump next, but due to observed voltage draw they seem to be working. Couple odd things- wiring is jumped across oil press switch ,(not gauge sender) Is this NO or NC when cranking? Also all low voltage wires get HOT to the touch after cranking . If you have a troubleshooting guide, I can't find anything but minimal online.

Oil pressure switch is NO but bypassed during start when holding down the preheat switch. The oil pressure switch then closes when the engine is turning for a few seconds and builds pressure to close the oil pressure switch. Then when you let go of the preheat switch it maintains voltage through the oil pressure switch until oil pressure drops, cutting voltage to the fuel solenoid.

I may have missed it...but can you 100% confirm two things

1) your fuel solenoid had a nice firm clunk and moves the fuel lever to the stop

2) you have physically seen the glow plugs glowing (not infered)

As has been written, test the glow plugs. It just takes a few minutes to do and they will cross an item off the list if they are good.

Thanks for the pics of the guts under the inj pump.
Jslocum- solenoid is working firm.
I will check glow plugs, but felt not seeing ANY fuel movement at top of inj pump was priority.
Hot wire- the jumper over the oil press switch gets hot to the touch, and others too. Gonna fool w it today , stay tuned.

Thanks for the pics of the guts under the inj pump.
Jslocum- solenoid is working firm.
I will check glow plugs, but felt not seeing ANY fuel movement at top of inj pump was priority.
Hot wire- the jumper over the oil press switch gets hot to the touch, and others too. Gonna fool w it today , stay tuned.

OK, I'd focus on that before messing with the injection pump. No wires should be getting hot, so your definitely have an electrical problem. Fix known problems first, then imaginary problems.

UPDATE - TKS for it all the input. Glow plugs each smoked. Fuel inj pump now ejaculating. Confirm solenoid acting correctly. Still no pop , how long on preheat?
I hit stop on remote panel, shuts off while I hold it then starts pumping again when I release. ???
No time now to fool w it, later today.

No fire yet. Sounds like it has wheezing death rattle, gasping for air. They all sound like that?

Glow plugs smoked? What does that mean?
Maximum preheat is 30 seconds.

Last edited:
glow plugs shouldnt just smoke. It should glow cherry red and put out light. It should look like your old car coil cigarette lighter when it popped out. You should measure resistance across the large terminals on the glow plug solenoid.

Attachments

• glow plug.jpg
    glow plug.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
Did a little deeper digging. Low compression on one cyl. Gonna pull the head & see what is ailing it. Tks for all the input, I was hoping it would live but.....??

Did a little deeper digging. Low compression on one cyl. Gonna pull the head & see what is ailing it. Tks for all the input, I was hoping it would live but.....??
Good luck. Hopefully a easy valve other then the cylinder.

What were the readings across all the cylinders? It should still fire even with one cylinder down.

And what's the history on this generator? Was it working one day then stopped? Has it never worked? Did it work, then sat for a vary long time, and now won't restart?

I still think the hot control wires should be addressed first. It suggests a poor neg battery connection with current flowing back through control wires. That could cause all sorts of things to not work properly.

It should be considered that one cyl being low is a 50 percent reduction. If bad JUJU in the one cyl, it's done. The head gasket alone is 130+
This was bought with no history avail as is. Sometimes you roll the dice....

Back
Top Bottom