We're back...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobstah

Vessel Name
T/T Whistful
Vessel Make
Boat US 12' Inflatable
After a few years of absence, we're once again looking at trawlers.
We've moved from Florida to Maine (I know, we're doing it bass-ackwards), and there's a very scenic, cozy cove not far from us with a mooring available for the rest of the season.
During the 90s we had a Marine Trader 34DC, built in 1982, that we kept near Portsmouth, N.H., and while we loved going on trips, we also thoroughly enjoyed having our "2br/2ba waterfront cabin" to escape to on weekends.
We're looking at a 40' MT on Sunday down in Portland. It's on the market for wicked cheap money, so time to go see exactly what's going on with it.
Seller says the Lehman was rebuilt 6yrs ago, and has 500hrs since rebuild, so that should be pretty solid. He installed a brand new transmission, so that should get a check mark.
All tanks are reported to be aluminum, with 500gal of fuel capacity, so don't have to worry about the black iron tanks letting go.
Foremost concern right now, without looking at the boat, is what kind of shape the decking is in...i.e. just how many leaks ARE there?

I'll follow up with more info once we have it...but it's just pretty darned exciting to even be thinking about being back on a trawler/waterfront condo :)

J&L

Yippee kai yay

We've moved from Florida to Maine (I know, we're doing it bass-ackwards),

Wifey B: :censored::censored::censored: :nonono::nonono:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Clearly wrong part of FL. But we have so many people moving in and for living purposes could stand some leaving. However, we have FL businesses and more people is more business. Omg, I'm so :censored: torn. :confused::confused:

Glad to see you where you want to be and reentering the boating world. Best of luck as you do. Great boating everywhere, even all three months in Maine. :eek:

You just never know :)

Wifey B: :censored::censored::censored: :nonono::nonono:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Clearly wrong part of FL. But we have so many people moving in and for living purposes could stand some leaving. However, we have FL businesses and more people is more business. Omg, I'm so :censored: torn. :confused::confused:

Glad to see you where you want to be and reentering the boating world. Best of luck as you do. Great boating everywhere, even all three months in Maine. :eek:

After a major tech company decided I should retire 3yrs ago, we came up to Maine in mid-February that year looking for a project house to work on in the summer months.
Didn't find anything on that trip, but a week later my cousin called and told us the church next to his house was for sale in Orland. Beautiful view of the East brand of the Penobscot River. So we took the plunge and started renovating.
Turns out it was built in 1925 on land donated by a great grandmother.

Small world.

p.s. Last winter I started my snowblower once...so pretty mild.

To be continued...

We were supposed to look at a Marine Trader 40' DC today. We waved off, as the seller is taking an unacceptable position, at least to us.
The boat is on the hard, and he refuses to launch the boat, or give any assurances as to it's seaworthiness when it IS launched.

He is expecting someone to purchase his boat without seeing it float and run.

We're not buying a boat that we can't see floating and running...so there we have it. :banghead:

I can't imagine anyone else making the purchase under those conditions either, but I guess that maybe there's someone out there somewhere who's willing to believe it's a great deal regardless.

We certainly aren't married to it, and in fact, we'd rather have a sundeck configuration, so the search continues.

J&L

"He is expecting someone to purchase his boat without seeing it float and run."

Launching for Lookey Lous could get very expensive, on shore it would be possible to see how the engine sounds and check out most systems.

If not sold the owner will still be stuck with winterizing again , but that is cheap.

"He is expecting someone to purchase his boat without seeing it float and run."

Launching for Lookey Lous could get very expensive, on shore it would be possible to see how the engine sounds and check out most systems.

If not sold the owner will still be stuck with winterizing again , but that is cheap.

I understand the cost involved, and would be willing to do a deal where I'd pay for the launch as long as the boat met those 3 conditions. Owner's reluctance to do even that seems like there may be something else going on. I'd also bear the cost of replacing the starter on the Lehman which the owner will not replace either.

But not being willing to stand by your statements about the boat is a hard NO for us.

We'll see what happens as time goes on. If someone buys it, good for him/them. If not, he may be forced to soften his stance a bit.

He has disclosed 3 issues. Starter for Lehman, alternator bracket for the gensent, and a soft spot on the upper deck/helm.

I understand the cost involved, and would be willing to do a deal where I'd pay for the launch as long as the boat met those 3 conditions. Owner's reluctance to do even that seems like there may be something else going on. I'd also bear the cost of replacing the starter on the Lehman which the owner will not replace either.

But not being willing to stand by your statements about the boat is a hard NO for us.

We'll see what happens as time goes on. If someone buys it, good for him/them. If not, he may be forced to soften his stance a bit.

He has disclosed 3 issues. Starter for Lehman, alternator bracket for the gensent, and a soft spot on the upper deck/helm.

I would still look at the boat. If everything checks out on the hard, make an offer, contingent with survey, sea trial, insurance, etc.
Start the survey on the hard. Call off trip to water/rest of survey if the surveyor finds issues.

Seller should pay for new starter prior to sea trial. The buyer would bear the cost of the round trip back to the hard, but have moorage lined up, and if the sea trial goes well, consider leaving it in the water unless there is work to be done like new bottom paint.
Boat may be a diamond in the rough, and seller's attitude dissuading perspective buyers may work to your advantage.

Welcome back LOBSTAH
We're about 70 miles north of you in Lincoln...But our boat is on the hard in Oriental, NC on the hard for another 7 months awaiting my complete retirement. I'll be bringing her up next spring for summer cruise before starting the loop in 2023. Maybe we'll see your new boat then...Wildbill

I would still look at the boat. If everything checks out on the hard, make an offer, contingent with survey, sea trial, insurance, etc.
Start the survey on the hard. Call off trip to water/rest of survey if the surveyor finds issues.

Seller should pay for new starter prior to sea trial. The buyer would bear the cost of the round trip back to the hard, but have moorage lined up, and if the sea trial goes well, consider leaving it in the water unless there is work to be done like new bottom paint.
Boat may be a diamond in the rough, and seller's attitude dissuading perspective buyers may work to your advantage.

Well...yes. So far, seller has refused to make any concession at all regarding anything. He believes he can sell the boat as is and walk away.
So until he rethinks that position, it's pretty difficult to get anything done in the way of a deal.
This was as simple as guarantee it floats and moves under it's own power, and I'll give you a deposit.
It was a HARD NO from him.

There are too many other boats out there right now.

I was born in Lincoln :)...way back in 1953. How long have you lived there?

As Steven Wright said: "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

J&L

We moved here from Massachusetts in 1993 when I graduated Med school as a PA, and took a job in the ED at PVH. We have lived on Upper Cold Stream lakes since then, but now I work in the ER at Eastern Maine Medical Center for approaching 20 years. The "New medical model" and Covid have burned me out, and I'm retiring early next year and re-splashing our new to us Hatt and starting our cruising life.

We've moved from Florida to Maine (I know, we're doing it bass-ackwards)

We just moved from New Hampshire to Florida. However, we still live on the boat in Rhode Island from May until October. We do think the you're doing it wrong..........for US. But since you're doing it for you, who am I to say.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Clearly wrong part of FL. But we have so many people moving in and for living purposes could stand some leaving. However, we have FL businesses and more people is more business.

Hopefully having moved to the Space Coast and well out of your area.............and only doing so part time.....has you excluding us from your "Please Go Home" list. :angel:

So far, seller has refused to make any concession at all regarding anything. He believes he can sell the boat as is and walk away.

All boats like this are sold as is, with the seller walking away. And last time I checked it was a seller's market.

95% of the evaluation of the boat and systems can be done ashore. I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't go look.

Last edited:
Lobstah said:
It's on the market for wicked cheap money, so time to go see exactly what's going on with it.
That was your first post, to open this discussion.
Lobstah said:
So far, seller has refused to make any concession at all regarding anything.
Nothing has changed. Well, except your now unwillingness to drive 2 hours, for a look at it.

What does it cost you to go look?
What will it cost the seller to splash it for every lookie loo?

You expect the seller to spend money for you, when he believes someone else will understand the concept of "wicked cheap," come look and work a deal; or not. No one is out much.

It is pretty hard to evaluate a boat's mechanical condition when it "needs a starter", who knows what else it needs. It may indeed just need a starter, on the other hand, the starter may have failed trying to turn over a hydro-locked engine, possibly bending a rod, or put on the hard with sea water in a cylinder, it could have been run out of oil and seized, who knows. If it really just needs a starter, it is kind of odd that the seller doesn't make that minimal investment in order to get a much higher selling price.

With no way of determining the condition of the motor, the OP's position is pretty understandable.

Gdavid said:
With no way of determining the condition of the motor, the OP's position is pretty understandable.
We have details on the shopper and seller, but nothing on the boat.

Too much maybe this, maybe that.
Maybe if we knew the boat and asking price, we could judge the parties position better.

On the hard could mean anything from climate controlled winter storage, to in the back yard for eight years.

Personally, if selling for "wicked cheap", and it needs a starter, I'd go look at it on the hard, and if I liked what I saw, I'd make an offer, contingent on sea trial. I'd tell the seller I'd spring for the starter, pay the in and out, and if I decided not to buy the boat, he could keep the starter.

It would be a win/win for the seller, . . . .IF there is nothing wrong with the engine other than the starter . . . . .If the seller didn't go for it, I'd suspect major, or at least big $$$$$ to the engine, and walk away.

We have details on the shopper and seller, but nothing on the boat.

Too much maybe this, maybe that.
Maybe if we knew the boat and asking price, we could judge the parties position better.

On the hard could mean anything from climate controlled winter storage, to in the back yard for eight years.

Excellent point, and my failing, to be sure.

Boat is a 1978 40' Marine Trader, DC.
Current owner is #3. The prior owners drove the boat to Block Island from Wakefield Ma, and back, once a year. It was their Block Island waterfront condo.
Engine was rebuilt 6yrs ago. They used it 4yrs after that, for a total of 400hrs.
Current owner brought it up to Portland/Casco Bay last year, just as Covid hit, and put 150 more hours on it, so just under 600hrs since rebuild.
It's on the hard in a yard in Portsmouth, he's asking 18k.
Has aluminum tanks, 550gal fuel, I think 150 water.

Lob

Personally, if selling for "wicked cheap", and it needs a starter, I'd go look at it on the hard, and if I liked what I saw, I'd make an offer, contingent on sea trial. I'd tell the seller I'd spring for the starter, pay the in and out, and if I decided not to buy the boat, he could keep the starter.

It would be a win/win for the seller, . . . .IF there is nothing wrong with the engine other than the starter . . . . .If the seller didn't go for it, I'd suspect major, or at least big $$$$$ to the engine, and walk away.

This is a much cleaner way of saying exactly what I've been struggling with.
I'll convey this to the seller, and go take a look if he's amenable.

Lob

This is a much cleaner way of saying exactly what I've been struggling with.
I'll convey this to the seller, and go take a look if he's amenable.

Lob
You don't need to make any sort of plan with the seller at this point. Just go see the boat. Smile and be friendly and empathetic. It's not always easy for sellers to give up the dream.

You don't need to make any sort of plan with the seller at this point. Just go see the boat. Smile and be friendly and empathetic. It's not always easy for sellers to give up the dream.

Def not his dream, and I'm always friendly, up to a point.

Pretty jammed with work right now, but hopefully will go look soon...

Lob

Well that one's gone...back to looking :)
We're pretty convinced that it was a 40' long todo list, but still fun to think about ;)

Lob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom