We took the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiseUp

Hello all, new members to this esteemed group. My wife and I did it, leapt from a 26' center console to a Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea Widebody. Retirement planned two months from now, planning on training on the Chesapeake for a year and then attempt the Great Loop. Right now thinking we will move aboard next Spring. We have little boating experience so the system familiarization is daunting, trying to figure out the 'routine'/chores associated with a large boat, line handling, ship handling... Needless to say, we will likely lean on you all heavily to get us up on step...sorry in advance for being info needy.

Aside from what you have already stated...unless you cruised your center console for thousands of miles or trailered it to far distant locations.... in addition to what you know...if you plan on cruising your big boat more than a couple hundred miles or so or only brave a loop or two......

There are PILES and PILES of regulations, weather and oceanographic issues you need to brush up on as well as dealing with supply chain issue for parts and BIG maintenance needs.

RTF is absolutely correct in don't jump into mods until you really understand the need and practicality of them. Just gave the same advice to my son yesterday.

As far as ship handling... better plan on visiting grossly different areas you have gotten used to. Unless your center console was a single inboard with no thrusters... a single/dual outboard handles completely different than a big Kadey. In some ways it will be easier and someways WAY less forgiving with beginner mistakes.

Not trying to deter you in any way...but after 35 years in the boater assistance/training business, for every person that says "don't worry about it...I had no problems" there are way more with shattered dreams and high costs that could have been avoided with the slower/better preparation for a major life change.

Welcome aboard.

Across the Bay from you on Kent Island. In Bay Bridge Marina. Hope to see you on the Bay.

Welcome. You have a great boat. Taking some lessons maybe helpful.
I second/third this. Hiring a captain for a few hours will bring you up the learning curve quickly & without stress. We did this when we got our first big boat, a 41' sloop. Practicing docking & marina maneuvers was invaluable to bringing up my confidence and lessening the anxiety of the first months of ownership.

Hello all, new members to this esteemed group. My wife and I did it, leapt from a 26' center console to a Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea Widebody. Retirement planned two months from now, planning on training on the Chesapeake for a year and then attempt the Great Loop. Right now thinking we will move aboard next Spring. We have little boating experience so the system familiarization is daunting, trying to figure out the 'routine'/chores associated with a large boat, line handling, ship handling...
Welcome to the TF, and congratulations on a wonderful cruising yacht. Think of such a boat as a series of systems, and as you get oriented, consider each of them one at a time. They will make sense soon enough. Boat handling will also come with time. Practice never makes "perfect," but practice definitely makes "better." Run your boat in various conditions, and not just when the weather is fine.

Spending time aboard either your own boat or someone else's with an experienced boater is a good way to talk through things you're wondering about. Try to avoid the guys who beat their chests about how all-knowing they are and recite their exploits to convince you of their god-like expertise. A little humility goes a long way in the boating game.

Back
Top Bottom