Washington state ferry video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swinomish

It's entertaining to picture that ferry going E of Whidbey Island and up the Swinomish to Anacortes. Much more protected, but probably too tall for La Conner's bridge. But it could have come out via Deception Pass, which wouldn't have clearance issues. 9 knot tide issues, sure, but no clearance issues.

My experience is with BC ferries. Those conditions wouldn't likely result in a cancellation. Cancellations occur regularly, when the ferries have difficulty docking at the Tsawwassen terminal, as it is in a very exposed location and the wave action at the dock can make it impossible to drive off or onto the ferry. A little water on the bow is nothing.

I think the biggest thing that surprises me is that the car deck isn't designed to do a better job of keeping water out.

It really is not that bad of a sea, after all it is protected waters. There are no "Massive Waves", just the bow scooping a bit of water and washing down the deck.

Typical Fox news headline, "Bomb Cyclone, Massive Waves, Jaw dropping, Bombshell" etc. If you want to watch the video without having to wait through 30 seconds of BS advertising, here is the same video.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ro...erry-damaging-car/NODF6YTWDVD5NNPBR4YDTDKBOU/

It was a wild ride for sure. Issaquah even tried tacking to accommodate the seas.

Attachments

• Issaqwah 01.09.24.jpg
    Issaqwah 01.09.24.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 35
The Washington ferries will stop running when either minus tides or high winds from the wrong direction make docking risky. Rarely do they stop because of sea state. Ironically they cancel runs most often because of mechanical issues or staffing shortages vs. what mother nature is doing.

My experience is with BC ferries. Those conditions wouldn't likely result in a cancellation. Cancellations occur regularly, when the ferries have difficulty docking at the Tsawwassen terminal, as it is in a very exposed location and the wave action at the dock can make it impossible to drive off or onto the ferry. A little water on the bow is nothing.

Keith, aren't most of the BC ferries closed bow types, with ramp doors that open up? The WA state ferries, by comparison, are water scoops in the right conditions!

I've always stated that the worst seas I've been in in the PNW were between Admiralty Head, crossing Juan de Fuca Strait and into Rosario Strait. This includes over 30 years cruising the entire Inside Passage to Alaska many times. Opposing seas to wind, large currents and tides, and currents emptying into the Juan de Fuca strait from opposing directions can make for some large and confusing seas. Large boats don't have the option of taking the back way through the Swinomish Canal. It can be waaaay different than the other ferry runs.

Tator

I can vouch for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom