WA to FL Cost: Shipping boat via truck or ship or cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have shipped boats in the past. For this boat would think having the owner bringing it to the west coast of Mexico or Panama could lower expenses. Then the trip is from a foreign country to the US rather than US to US where Jones Act requirements would raise expense. Still unless you’re dealing with a blue water boat it doesn’t make sense. Transiting the northern Caribbean Sea isn’t a walk in the park so wouldn’t do it on her own bottom and the leg from Panama to Miami is still expensive.
Rather than guess he could call seven seas or another shipper and get hard numbers.

Last edited:
I took a 112' Westport from Grey's Harbor WA to Ft Lauderdale via Panama in Oct/Nov 2000. It took about 4 weeks with some layovers. Great adventure but not w/o it's headaches. You best to have an agent at every intended port. Getting things done otherwise can be a challenge. They can also keep you out of trouble (you pay them and they pay whoever needs paying to keep you in good stead). The canal requires a pilot and line handlers. An agent there is also highly advised. Saving money by foregoing the agent is false economy. I have no recollection of the costs as it was all prearranged by the shipyard in Westport and was on board as mate/engineer and not the Capt. The land route would likely more predictable and safe. One other thought would be a shipping company that floats your yacht on a larger ship and delivers several at one time. Again safer and more predictable than taking the trip yourself.

I have researched three methods:
1. Trucking - Can be done from Anacortes WA to Great Lakes (then do half the loop to Florida). I was quoted ~ $26000 USD for my 42 Hatteras. Height restrictions apply, but if I recall 13' 6" was a target. Lower height, the cheaper the cost. (routing options)
2. Running the boat through Panama - an option, but not a great one. Wear/cost/marriage
3. VIA ship - ~40k USD Florida to Victoria BC

Recommendation
Considering the fact that your boat is worth more money on the west coast than on the east, consider selling there and purchasing on the east coast.

Feel free to PM me and we can chat a little more about these options. I met someone in a tug while in the Bahamas that shipped (VIA Truck) from Anacortes to the east coast.

As others have pointed out, it will be very expensive. They have also mentioned the height as being a problem. I imagine your response to the height issue will be "Ill remove the flybridge"

Don't do it. It will open the door to literally hundreds of problems. Wiring, cosmetics, more expense to have it shipped, damage to electronics and gauges, etc.

The best advice you will get on this issue is this. Buy close to home!

pete

I recently bought 25 empty cardboard cigar boxes for my shop. The cigar boxes were in Illinois. I live in Northern Wisconsin. Shipping (FedEx) was $52.00!!

I know it is not apples to apples but, extend it out.

pete

Back
Top Bottom