Victron Cerbo and Ruuvi Temp Sensors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I've been tinkering with configs to my Victron Cerbo and connected three Ruuvi Bluetooth tags. Wondering if anyone is using similar and has managed to get them to read Farenheit vs Celsius (yea, I know - backwards American)? I have Victron setup for F; and the App for Ruuvi shows F, but for some reason, displays on Victron (VRM and Cerbo display) as C.

Thoughts?

Peter
Ruuvi on Cerbo VRM.jpg

Same here, I think this is a Victron thing, no conversion was allowed for. I'd bring it up on the Victron forum, maybe they will add it - can't be difficult and they do accept suggestions all the time.

I found a 2021 post where someone did a workaround. Apparently you can make am offset of 32, then multiply by 1.8. So instead of 16C would read 61C - number would be correct but would still show "C" units.

Was hoping there was something else.

Anyone using this in conjunction with relay, say for engine room blowers?

Peter

I like that workaround, may give it a try.

I am using the Ruuvi and other Cerbo sensors for control. In particular, I have a central dehumidifier running through ductwork, but have cooked a couple of them by freezing them (running in too cold ambient). I put a SSR in the power circuit, controlled by one of the Cerbo relay outputs which turns it off when the temp drops too low and back on again when it warms up sufficiently. Nice thing about the Cerbo and VRM is I can monitor this from my home 900 miles away, and change it if necessary or manually turn the dehumidier on or off.

The Cerbo relay outputs are modestly sized, so to control any power equipment you need relays of some kind. SSRs are available with sufficiently low input impedance, and are usually opto-isolated to eliminate any safety worries.

UPDATE - The limiting issue is the Cerbo GX only reads Celsius. Victron has said for over a year they plan on a firmware update. However, units can be changed on VRM under <PREFERENCES>

Peter

VRM F Screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• VIctron VRM Change to F.jpg
    VIctron VRM Change to F.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for that tip! Had not found that before, even though I looked.

DDW - well, as luck would have it, Firmware upgrade 3.01 released a few weeks ago solved the issue. On the Cerbo GX, go to <SETTINGS>, <DISPLAY & LANGUAGE>, and <UNITS>.

Issue is resolved.

Peter

Cerbo Temp in F.jpg

My Cerbo displays fahrenheit for temperatures. VRM has for a long time, while it was added to the Cerbo in a software update within the last year or so.

My Cerbo displays fahrenheit for temperatures. VRM has for a long time, while it was added to the Cerbo in a software update within the last year or so.

My Cerbo displayed farenheit for everything except the Ruuvi tags. Also in 3.01 Victron lowered the display range to -40F for temp sensors.

Peter

Thanks for this post. I didnt even know this was a thing. I ordered one to play around with. I have to still install the Victron system but that will be over winter.

Thanks so much Peter . . . you just cost me some more money . . . .:nonono::D

Thanks so much Peter . . . you just cost me some more money . . . .:nonono::D
Buy something really expensive and you'll barely notice cost for a few tags. That's what I did.

Seriously, these sensors are super useful for monitoring fridge, freezer, and engine room remotely using VRM for free (as long as boat has internet). They also have motion detection so coupled with a Wyze camera, serves as a bare bones remote security system. Amazon has other Bluetooth sensors that are less expensive, but these came recommended from several sources.

Anyone know of a Bluetooth sensor that could be used for bilge water detection?

Peter

Has anyone used Ruuvi sensors for exhaust temp alarm/monitoring on Cerbo? Attaching a Pro to the exhaust hose with a clamp or something?

Or is there another bluetooth enabled sensor/system that works better with Cerbo?

I see that the Pro only reads up to 180F, so it might be a little low?

Related: I also want to add a high water alarm for the Cerbo. What bluetooth enabled sensor would work?

Also: I'd need to add a loud buzzer at each helm, what and how to install?

Appreciate the help I'm new to Cerbo. I have a 36 Grand Banks.

Thanks,
Jack

Not to change the subject, but I thought this would be a good place to start. Sorry if its not.

I have a Cerbo GX and Victron's Blue Smart charger and 2 other Victron chargers. All do not have the VE can port. But all have Bluetooth! So can the Cerbo read the Victron chargers data as if it was connected using the VE can?

Back
Top Bottom