Trawler School vs Charter & hiring a training Capt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dry Dock

Vessel Name
Never EZ
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
Trying to "step up" from a 24' I/O cuddy cruiser to the life changing 45 - 50' trawler class. The "navigator" (because she is always telling me where to go...) has some concerns about our ability to handle a larger craft.

I have found a few "trawler schools". As an alternative, I was also considering a bareboat charter and hiring an independent "training" Captain.

Any experience, thoughts, comments or crude remarks?

Insurance coverage can be a challenge. You may want to speak with 2 or 3 insurance providers that would cover your prospective purchase, and ask them these questions.

Otherwise, find a fun adventure that your wife wants and do that one first. If that goes well, the rest will come easily.

If you hire a captain, select carefully. The boat will get very small, very fast, if personalities don’t combine well.

Enjoy

We were looking at going to a bigger boat. Boat/US told us going up 15’ was no problem, in the past we had owned a 46’ and we were looking at a 58’ so they said no problem. I would ask the prospective insurance company what they require for training in order to move up. You might as well go the way they want rather than go to a school and them maybe have to get a captain too. Or vise versa.

I agree with Irene that selection of training captain is important. I also believe that with the right captain, this is the best option. You will be on your boat learning how to control it specifically.

A trawler skool would be best if you had little experience with boats of any kind.

All you need to learn is the operating difference between the current small boat and the size you are thinking of.

This would be better done with hands on private instruction , than a general overview style course.

I had 30 years of boating experience, but it was all in outboard boats. One half-day session with a good captain was all I needed. A couple of timely pointers and a couple of "aha" moments regarding boat maneuvering around the dock were worth days of experimenting on my own.

Docking is only the most basic of skills for a captain to have. Depending on what kinds of other experiences a person has may require much more if they plan to ever leave the marina.

I agree with Irene that selection of training captain is important. I also believe that with the right captain, this is the best option. You will be on your boat learning how to control it specifically.

Agreed +1

My whole life I've lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida and been on the water it seems forever. However it was all power boats until we bought a sailboat with no idea how to really utilize the boat to its maximum potential.

I hired a licensed captain that was also a certified ASA instructor. He moved on the boat for a week and we spent that week in Key Biscayne and the upper Keys learning so much in a very short time.

Pros: All 3 in the family received the same instruction, we learned on our boat (big plus), we had formal instruction all day and some "war stories" in the evening. Additional bonus we all came away with some ASA certifications.

Cons: It was pricey but didn't compare to schools so not sure how far out of whack the price may have been.

I've now come back to power and looking for the next boat, hopefully a Looper. Unless the boat is something outlandish no training will be needed. :)

We jumped from a 30 to a 46 LOA. I think having done several charters in the 40+ along with professional training before each of them was helpful for insurance. I know that it was critical for my own confidence and abilities. Plus, length aside it's night and day going from an I/O to shaft / rudder, especially if it's single to twins.

From my experience I wouldn't be so hung up on training on "my boat" as much as a boat that's a similar style and configuration to what you're looking at.

BD

All, thanks for the inputs and encouragement. I am exploring these avenues on a larger boat for a couple of selfish reasons;

1. A week long "working" vacation for me to be on the water and a potential few nights out on the hook
2. Build some confidence with the "Navigator", both in her skill set but for her to have the same confidence in mine
3. Gain from others' experiences in "trawlers"
4. Let her determine if this is the right lifestyle choice.

Dry Dock,

Your list is exactly what triggered our charters. We were running the I/O on local rivers and dreamed of voyaging and exploring larger bodies of water, including significant trips in an upcoming (but not soon enough) retirement.

But we'd never DONE it. What if it wasn't all that we dreamed it was? What if I loved it and she hated it? What if the style of boat that I wanted was the thing that drove her away from boating? Chartering and training (both of us, with equal participation) allowed us to try different styles and get several experiences, and most importantly get us both confident that we could not only do it, but we loved it.

Best money I've ever spent in my life. Except maybe that spent on the actual boat purchase...
BD

Agreed +1

My whole life I've lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida and been on the water it seems forever. However it was all power boats until we bought a sailboat with no idea how to really utilize the boat to its maximum potential.

I hired a licensed captain that was also a certified ASA instructor. He moved on the boat for a week and we spent that week in Key Biscayne and the upper Keys learning so much in a very short time.

Pros: All 3 in the family received the same instruction, we learned on our boat (big plus), we had formal instruction all day and some "war stories" in the evening. Additional bonus we all came away with some ASA certifications.

Cons: It was pricey but didn't compare to schools so not sure how far out of whack the price may have been.

I've now come back to power and looking for the next boat, hopefully a Looper. Unless the boat is something outlandish no training will be needed. :)

First of all, Welcome aboard!! Glad you've seen the light and come to your senses.

If you're REALLY committed to making the "big move up", you might want to reconsider your screen name. S/V doesn't really carry that same esteemed provenance that M/V might have. (...just sayin'...this is the TRAWLER Forum...) :socool: :D

Hope you enjoy the hunt as much as the ride and extreme comforts of Motor/Vessels.

Last edited:
If you decide to hire a captain, I would strongly suggest finding one with teaching credentials, perhaps one from a school or charter outfit (they almost always have skippers who work with under-qualified charterers). Frankly, majority of captains I've met are either paper-captains who somehow acquired a license, or just lousy teachers: teaching is process of imparting knowledge to a student. Simply having knowledge is not enough. Good teachers will have to curriculum; will have tools (I carried a whiteboard and a model of a prop/rudder to explain prop walk); and will understand that different people learn differently so you need to adjust the approach. I would think a past ASA instructor would be helpful even though they are sail-oriented.

Here's an most hour long training session recorded by Jeff Merrill, yacht broker. He sells a lot of higher end trawlers to couples without a ton of experience so has a decent perspective on training. He may have a decent reference for a captain too.

https://youtu.be/XlLnhMg-s7M

Good luck

Peter

I went from 28' Cape Dory Express to a 36' Sabre Fast Trawler. It took me a season to feel adequately confident. I have also bareboated in the BVI and France in boats greater than 55'. Never had a problem.

Once you get your larger boat, I would say give yourself a season and identify the areas that you need help in. You might pleasantly surprise yourself and decide that no additional training is needed.

Good luck!

Changed Screen Name

First of all, Welcome aboard!! Glad you've seen the light and come to your senses.

If you're REALLY committed to making the "big move up", you might want to reconsider your screen name. S/V doesn't really carry that same esteemed provenance that M/V might have. (...just sayin'...this is the TRAWLER Forum...) :socool: :D

Hope you enjoy the hunt as much as the ride and extreme comforts of Motor/Vessels.

Thanks for the kind words and welcome FlyWright!

Seems there was a slight conflict with an established member on this forum, any variation of Bacchus was causing confusion. I did suggest to the Mods MV but the Bacchus was the main issue. I had trouble finding something relevant to our new found adventure so went back in history to a prior job. I know, not very nautical but at least it is something relevant to me that I can identify with.

Now, on with the search!

Thanks for the kind words and welcome FlyWright!

Seems there was a slight conflict with an established member on this forum, any variation of Bacchus was causing confusion. I did suggest to the Mods MV but the Bacchus was the main issue. I had trouble finding something relevant to our new found adventure so went back in history to a prior job. I know, not very nautical but at least it is something relevant to me that I can identify with.

Now, on with the search!
Lyle
I will extend a warm welcome to TF and yes... I'm the other Bacchus. Been around here for awhile, all three of our boats have been "Bacchus" and was invited to join the TF Site Team. That was the primary concern for mix ups. I do appreciate your willingness to be flexible and feel free to contact me if any questions.
Check out the TF classifieds as there are boats that are loop worthy that might be of interest. I just moved a KK Manatee to the for sale section that was in a different section. No idea if thats of interest and know nothing about the boat.
Also if nobody has mentioned it TF does have a thread Boat Search 101 that might be of interest if you haven't seen it.
Lastly we have no Interest in looping but have cruised all the NY canals, Lk Champlain, Rideau to Otrawa, Trent Severn and Lk Huron Georgian Bay as far N as Parry Sound if you ever are looking for info or recommendations.

Big difference when you double the length, quadruple the weight and multiply the complexity of electrical and mechanical systems by a factor of ten.

Better get competent professional help with knowledge and time in the type of boat you buy or one very similar.

Step up

I did about the same step up from a 24cc to a 43 foot trawler, my Insurance co required 10 yours with a licensed Captain. It was a great experience, I ended up doing 15 hours and was confident on my own. One thing that helps I was told was previous heavy machinery operation growing up on a farm this was a lot like driving a rear steering loader.

Lyle
I will extend a warm welcome to TF and yes... I'm the other Bacchus. Been around here for awhile, all three of our boats have been "Bacchus" and was invited to join the TF Site Team. That was the primary concern for mix ups. I do appreciate your willingness to be flexible and feel free to contact me if any questions.

Hi and thanks for the kind words. I had no issues changing, I completely understand being the NewBee!

I look forward to much wisdom from the folks on the forum. I found Cruiser's Forum to be quite beneficial when I entered the sailing realm and fully imagine there is much to be gained here.

Back
Top Bottom