Tohatsu - electric start issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Approach

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have a 20 hp tohatsu electric start/tilt with a new battery,

Observation:

Power tilt operates
Electronic choke engages
Starter will wind over but will not engage
Engine will start manually.

Anyone with a similar issue that might chime in?

Thanks

Not sure how the starter is configured, but it sounds like the bendix is not traveling all the way to the flywheel. Either the bendix or solenoid could be at fault. Also not sure if you can just get parts for the starter or replace the whole thing.

I would clean all electrical connections including the battery, solenoid, starter and the negative back to the battery. A weak, loose or dirty connection can carry enough current to operate everything else and even spin the starter slowly but without enough power to throw the bendix into the flywheel.

Try not pushing the key in
On my 30hp when you push the key in the idle is changed ; mine won't start with the key pushed in and turned but starts every time when just turning the key

Solenoid has been mentioned twice. IF the starting solenoid was the issue, you wouldn't hear the starter motor or OB turning over. You'd either hear a loud 'click' if the solenoids power circuit was being closed (the click is the internal gate closing on the solenoid), but if the starter motor didn't spin, then it could either be the solenoid not closing the starting circuit internally or an issue with the starter itself.

You can jump the posts on a solenoid if you hear a click but the starter isn't turning.

If the starter motor is spinning, it's not the starting solenoid. If the starter is spinning, but not the flywheel, then look at the Bendix on the starter.

Those small engine starters don't typically have starter solenoids, they just use a ramp that flings the starter gear up to engage the flywheel when the starter first starts to spin. I'm guessing that there's corrosion, wear, or dirt preventing the gear from flinging up. You may be able to clean or lube the gear without taking the starter out using spray chemicals.

If the starter motor is lethargic, the gear won't climb up into contact with the flywheel. Check the starter gear free to move up and down on the shaft. You can roll the starter gear up by hand until it meshes with the flywheel. Move your hands out of the way and it should stay there. Hit the key and see if the starter motor has the guts to spin the flywheel. If it doesn't, then check the battery voltage, battery connections, cables, and solenoid connection.

Those small engine starters don't typically have starter solenoids, they just use a ramp that flings the starter gear up to engage the flywheel when the starter first starts to spin. I'm guessing that there's corrosion, wear, or dirt preventing the gear from flinging up. You may be able to clean or lube the gear without taking the starter out using spray chemicals.

THIS! The starter cog engages through inertia as the stater spins. Either the starter is not spinning fast enough, or the "ramp" as described above is gummy, or corroded, preventing the cog from engaging. We have the same 20hp Tohatsu, Please let us know what you find out.

Wondering I can veer off the starter motor problem a bit. I’m considering buying a Tohatsu 20 but they are hard to find locally. I’m familiar with these and the older Nissans which are also Tohatsu and in Mexico and the Caribbean they are everywhere. Have any you had any other problems with the 20hp models ? Are they as good as I think they are it seems like they make the smaller Mercuries and only make outboards but first hand info is best

Rick

Wondering I can veer off the starter motor problem a bit. I’m considering buying a Tohatsu 20 but they are hard to find locally. I’m familiar with these and the older Nissans which are also Tohatsu and in Mexico and the Caribbean they are everywhere. Have any you had any other problems with the 20hp models ? Are they as good as I think they are it seems like they make the smaller Mercuries and only make outboards but first hand info is best

Rick
Rick, I can't advise about the current crop of Tohatsu motors as mine is a
15 year old 18 HP carbureted version. I think they are pretty good overall.
The only thing I've had to do beyond routine maintenance is a fuel hose
repair.

If you are a DIY type you can order one from onlineoutboards.com. I was
able to convince them that I was knowledgeable enough to install my own
electric start model without a dealership involvement. It's not that hard...

Last edited:

Rick

Ours is a 2014 20hp Tohatsu. It came with our boat, which we purchased early last year. The Sellers purchased it new. Never had any work done on it besides spark plugs, impellers and oil changes. I recently replaced the prop because . . . never mind, I don't want to talk about that:blush:. Anyway, always starts immediately. I've hand pulled it a few times, but normally just use the electric start. Never had any problems at all. I TRY to only use non ethanol fuel, but can't always find it. I DO put Stabil in all my fuel, and if it's not going to be run for a few days, I always disconnect the fuel line, and run it till it quits, reducing/eliminating fuel in the carbs. This is the first Tohatsu I have personal experience with, but from what I've seen, I'd have no problem buying another. Hope this helps!:dance:

Thanks guys so if I can find one with power trim and elect start I’m going for it. The 20 hp Mercury is the same unit with different cowling but I refuse to give the Brunswick group a nickel.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom