To upgrade or not to upgrade ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A side note. Boat says it is a 2001. Cat 3208 production ended in 1993. This is a strange engine to be in this boat.

That is indeed strange when these engines were last produced in 1993.

I was thinking that perhaps the whole boat sank due to a leakage, then rebuilt and had new engines in.
But when you say these engines were not built after 1993, but were installed in 2006 then it becomes weird.

I doubt it is false advertising since all the brokerage sites have disclaimers about errors in the listings. They could be new engines that were never installed or more likely rebuilt engines. Some people say new engines when they are really rebuilt engines. There seem to be a lot of questions about the boat, has anyone actually been onboard the boat? It would be interesting to hear a firsthand opinion.

At the beginning of the thread, I didn't realize the OP was in Europe. I can certainly see the scarcity of decent trawlers. I understand his motivation and conundrum. Not sure how expensive surveys are there but might be a decent investment to spend a day with a qualified surveyor to discuss......and ping other Fleming owners.

Peter

Good advice, and it may well be a good boat. But with the extensive modifications it won't carry the Fleming pedigree, appeal to Fleming buyers, or command a Fleming price. I think it will be viewed as just another one-off build, and valued accordingly. So far the market says it's worth less than 550 euros. And I'm assuming it's actually in good shape, things work, and work has been done to high standards. I'd also really like to know the story behind it. Something caused an owner to tear apart a $2m Fleming and turn it into this $500k boat. Why? The only explanation I can think of it that the boat was totaled and this is a salvage rebuild.

Cat 3208's are great motors. I had them in my 51' DeFever. The only downside I believe is that they are not "sleeved" motors, so you cannot rebuild them in the boat....you gotta take the motors out to rebuild them properly. But, with only 700 hours, you may have a lot of time left on these....would just need an authorized Cat mechanic to do a complete engine survey.

But as TT pointed out the Cat engines which were not built after 1993 which were also 235 HP and not 435HP as per the ad. This ad must have been written on April 1st and there is no such boat for sale.

I would not immediately call it false advertisement. I also had it with my boat when they entered the chart plotter type number as ID for the radar. The whole thing was probably typed up by someone who knows nothing about boats. Everything will come to light when the survey is done and then you can see what is and what is not in the boat.
In my boat for example I have been finding additional equipment which was not even mentioned anywhere. Guess the broker never knew about it, so did not mention it. Last item was about 1 month ago, when I found a storage space which nobody knew about. It was like an early visit of Santa Claus. :)

But as TT pointed out the Cat engines which were not built after 1993 which were also 235 HP and not 435HP as per the ad. This ad must have been written on April 1st and there is no such boat for sale.

The broker will get in touch with me either this week or the week after and then we will find out what the heck is going on. Perhaps this incorrect listing has been the reason why it was never sold. And if that is because this boat was a wreck or actually sunk in 2005 then it starts to make more sense.

Fleming was installing 435hp Cat 3208’s in the 55’s into the early 2000’s. Engine was stopped being manufactured in 1999, not 1993 as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Good advice, and it may well be a good boat. But with the extensive modifications it won't carry the Fleming pedigree, appeal to Fleming buyers, or command a Fleming price. I think it will be viewed as just another one-off build, and valued accordingly. So far the market says it's worth less than 550 euros. And I'm assuming it's actually in good shape, things work, and work has been done to high standards. I'd also really like to know the story behind it. Something caused an owner to tear apart a $2m Fleming and turn it into this $500k boat. Why? The only explanation I can think of it that the boat was totaled and this is a salvage rebuild.

I looked up the appliances in the galley, we are talking well over 25.000 USD for just the induction plate, grill, fridge and freezer. In other words, no expenses were spared.
The wood finish in the salon does cost a fortune. Curved panels in this quality are not cheap. That bar alone will have cost close to 15.000 USD.
In other words the current owner did spent an enormous amount of money on this boat, but the question remains: 'why did he do that ?'

If I would have to guess he bought this boat in 2005 after it had sunk or flooded and he paid a relatively low price for it. Since the whole boat needed to be redone he did it according to his own specifications. It is clear to me the interior was done by professionals, by craftsmen, they knew what they were doing.
After using the boat for many years he was too old and decided to sell it, but in Greece that turned out to be impossible for the price he was asking. The boat was then moved to Holland, but by then the price was known, the other faults as well and nobody wants to touch that boat anymore. And if the CE rating is indeed only C the boat has become completely useless. You can take it out on lakes and rivers, but that is about it and then indeed this is the wrong boat for that. If you want to go to Belgium or France you need a much lower boat, this one will not fit anywhere.

Last edited:
Fleming was installing 435hp Cat 3208’s in the 55’s into the early 2000’s. Engine was stopped being manufactured in 1999, not 1993 as mentioned earlier.
Well more google and you are correct the 235 production stopped in 1993, but the 3208 continued.
Is there something special about a 3208 can be 200, 225 or 435 HP. Wait, is there any other HP 3208.

BTW, a boat sinking and getting refurbished like the pictures display should not be an immediate deal breaker. Mambo42 will get the info from broker.

I doubt it is false advertising since all the brokerage sites have disclaimers about errors in the listings. They could be new engines that were never installed or more likely rebuilt engines. Some people say new engines when they are really rebuilt engines. There seem to be a lot of questions about the boat, has anyone actually been onboard the boat? It would be interesting to hear a firsthand opinion.

I have not been on board yet. I only spoke with the broker, who is just a representative. He has been on the job at that location for only a couple of months, does not know the ins and outs of this boat. Promised me they will get back to me, but the big question is of course: will they tell me what is really wrong with this boat ?
And then I can only thank all of you so far, since you have given so much insight in this boat, just by looking at it and talking about it. I was wondering what is wrong with this boat ? Why is the price so low ? Why can't it be sold ? Apparently all the interested parties get to one point and after that they walk away. is the broker willing to tell me what is wrong or are they going to let me find it myself ? In that case I can only hope I find it before I buy it, but have to be honest, this boat, although the interior is pristine, is sounding less and less interesting.

Changing boats was not our idea at all, after all we just about finished upgrading our Defever. She is almost at the point where we say: 'now she is perfect', but we still need to spend about 100.000 for stabilizers and about 30.000 for lithiums..

$100k sounds a bit high for stabilizers but not totally out of the question. I was thinking $75k+/- might be possible. But pricing also varies by location and equipment selected.

The $30k for lithium sounds incredibly high for what I would think makes practical sense. Thread drift so perhaps open a new thread to discuss your lithium plans?

$100k sounds a bit high for stabilizers but not totally out of the question. I was thinking $75k+/- might be possible. But pricing also varies by location and equipment selected.

The $30k for lithium sounds incredibly high for what I would think makes practical sense. Thread drift so perhaps open a new thread to discuss your lithium plans?

The lowest quote I have had for stabs was 89.000, the highest 200.000 and for what my boat needs I have a quote of just over 100.000 USD. We normally sail at low speed, which means I need one size larger than what you would normally expect.
As for the lithiums. I need about 1250 AH at 24 V. If I go with Winston cells I can do that for about 30.000 USD. If I go with Mastervolt or Victron I actually have offers close to 75.000 and all of that is without installing them.

Biggest problem is having the batteries communicate with the rest of the Victron system and the alternators. Apparently that seems to cost a lot of money. just the alternators and wakespeed regulators cost around 7500 USD.

That is a lot of power. I know some people want to run Air conditioners off their batteries. For me I just want to power the more traditional loads for a night and still have some reserve. Since I have a generator I usually run it for a few hours in the AM when we cook breakfast and heat water for showers. Then my battery bank is approaching full. I don't have a lot of area for solar but have enough to power light electrical use during most days.
It seems their is a dimishing point of return to have a massive battery bank unless you also have a giant solar system to charge them. If not you are going to be running your genset a lot anyway. What do you plan to do with that much battery power and how will you recharge it? $30k-$70k will pay for a lot of generator hours.

I should have noted I have 600 AH at 12 V. I could probably justify adding another 200 AH. My 200AH batteries were about $900 each and my victron inverter/charger, Victron Solar regulator and all the misc related items were about $3k. I can remotely monitor and control the system via Victrons app. I did my own design and install so I don't know what that would have cost. But for the prices you are mentioning maybe you can fly me over for a few weeks :)

As for the lithiums. I need about 1250 AH at 24 V. If I go with Winston cells I can do that for about 30.000 USD. If I go with Mastervolt or Victron I actually have offers close to 75.000 and all of that is without installing them.

Biggest problem is having the batteries communicate with the rest of the Victron system and the alternators. Apparently that seems to cost a lot of money. just the alternators and wakespeed regulators cost around 7500 USD.

That’s a lot of battery. 24 volt? They would usually install three of these MLI Ultra 24/6000 in a F55 I believe. Each 230Ah at 24 volt. Of course, that’s much more utilizable amp hours as you can discharge to maybe 90% versus conventional 50%. I would think a full mastervolt system with chargers, inverters, etc installed would be more like $50,000 at this size.

https://www.mastervolt.com/products/li-ion/mli-ultra-24-6000/

Last edited:
My 600 AH at 12V is adequate to run lights ,TV, 2 toilets, microwave, 1 chest freezer and 1 household fridge freezer for 12-18 hours. This is on a Hatreras 48 Long Range Cruiser. As mentioned I might add another 200-400 AH but set it up as a totally redundant system with a separate Victron multiplus.Still my total cost is under 10K.

Thinking about the size bank you described it seems you must have some heavy loads! It will take very large charger(s) to recharge when depleted. I use a victron multiplus 3k and I think it tops out at 120 Amp charge rate.

I will be interested to see the system that is being considered. Especially to understand the charging side including solar. It will be an impressive system but seems like it would require a lot of genset run time to recharge (or massive chargers).

That’s a lot of battery. 24 volt? They would usually install three of these MLI Ultra 24/6000 in a F55 I believe. Each 230Ah at 24 volt. Of course, that’s much more utilizable amp hours as you can discharge to maybe 90% versus conventional 50%. I would think a full mastervolt system with chargers, inverters, etc installed would be more like $50,000 at this size.

https://www.mastervolt.com/products/li-ion/mli-ultra-24-6000/

Problem is that my boat is lying in a very touristic area of Europe and they will charge you an arm and a leg for the most simple things. I could of course start importing it myself, but regulations require that I then set up a company, get a tax number etc. That does not make any sense.
We are now thinking of moving the boat to Turkey to get a better price, we would be able to buy without VAT.

I’m really curious why you need that many amp hours. I could understand that at 12 volts but half that at 24, in lithium. Are you sure?

My 600 AH at 12V is adequate to run lights ,TV, 2 toilets, microwave, 1 chest freezer and 1 household fridge freezer for 12-18 hours. This is on a Hatreras 48 Long Range Cruiser. As mentioned I might add another 200-400 AH but set it up as a totally redundant system with a separate Victron multiplus.Still my total cost is under 10K.

Thinking about the size bank you described it seems you must have some heavy loads! It will take very large charger(s) to recharge when depleted. I use a victron multiplus 3k and I think it tops out at 120 Amp charge rate.

I will be interested to see the system that is being considered. Especially to understand the charging side including solar. It will be an impressive system but seems like it would require a lot of genset run time to recharge (or massive chargers).

The 1250 Ah does seem like a lot, but there is a reasoning behind it. It gives me around 35 Kw of usuable electricity, which is enough for three days of operation. I have installed 3.2 Kwp of solar and with a normal sunny day we can provide electricity for the boat as well as charge the batteries after the night time use.
I have made an excel file in which I wrote down all the electricity users, the amps they draw and the time they draw those amps. We have 3 fridges, washing machine, dishwasher, water maker, TV's, home theatre, electric grill, induction plate, microwave, toilets, pumps etc. Thus I came to the max use of amps I have during the night and during the day.
So even if we have a couple of days bad weather, with little to no solar energy regenerated we still don't need to switch on the engines or generator to recharge the batteries.
As soon as we get back into the good weather the solar panels can recharge the batteries again in a couple of days and provide the daily usage as well.

Why did I create this set up ?
We spend a lot of time on anchor in bays around the islands in the Med. With fuel prices around 7.5 USD / gallon it is clear that working with solar can save you tons of money and increase the range of the boat drastically. Maritime fuel stations are not everywhere available, so taking away the need of a generator will save us about 300 gallons per month or 2100 USD in cost and thus will make it possible to visit the far off islands, staying there and enjoying them for a few months. I don't need to be afraid of running out of fuel and be forced to travel in adverse weather to make it back to a fuel station. We can just stay put and have no worrries.
We spend about 7 to 8 months a year on the water so that is a saving of around 15.000 USD each year. The installation of the solar only cost me 6000 USD, so I earn it back in a couple of months.

Just in case we do have a week of bad weather I also have 2 x 24 150 A alternators, plus 1 x 12 V 90 A, which means we can recharge the batteries in about 4 hours. And that is roughly our max hours we spend going from one place to another.

As far as Victron. We had a multiplus 12/3000, but now changing to a Victron Quattro 24/8000, so that we can run all our appliances via the inverter without the need of the generator.
The panels are connected to 4 x MPPT 100/30

At this moment the electricians are busy finishing the rewiring of the boat, moving all the batteries, inverters, chargers etc out of the ER to the lazarette, which will free up space for the stabilizers we will add next year if we would not buy this Fleming.
So that is a bit of back ground on how I set up the boat after we bought it. Lots of changes, but it will be perfect for extended cruising in the Med.

I recall a 55 being listed a couple years ago with some flood damage or partial sinking listed in the ad. It was being sold at a substantial discount. IIRC it was in FL though not in Europe but perhaps this is the same boat? It seems strange someone would do this much modification to the original boat though so it will be interesting to hear the story behind it. I don't care for the galley, looks very "European" but doesn't fit the boat. No ER pics on YW which always makes me wonder why...

I’m really curious why you need that many amp hours. I could understand that at 12 volts but half that at 24, in lithium. Are you sure?

I understand the question, so I wrote a bit of lengthy explanation to another question that was asked about the same thing. Only saw your question afterwards.
It all comes down to not having to use the generator while being on anchor in the many bays of Greece and Croatia. If you look up areas like Ithaca, Kefalonia, Kornati, Korcula, Lastovo, Mljet, Paxos, anti-Paxos, Vir, Vis, Pasman etc etc you will find beautiful bays, where you are allowed to drop your anchor for as long as you like. We have enough food and drinks on board to last us several months, the limiting factor was fuel. Now we can rely completely on solar energy and the large battery bank allows us to have a few days of bad weather as well. We still would not need to switch on the generator nor change our mode of operation.

Update

I recall a 55 being listed a couple years ago with some flood damage or partial sinking listed in the ad. It was being sold at a substantial discount. IIRC it was in FL though not in Europe but perhaps this is the same boat? It seems strange someone would do this much modification to the original boat though so it will be interesting to hear the story behind it. I don't care for the galley, looks very "European" but doesn't fit the boat. No ER pics on YW which always makes me wonder why...

Spoke with both Burr Yachts and the Broker in the Netherlands today. Burr Yachts is familiar with the boat, they instantly knew which one I was talking about, but the guy who knows it all was not in at the moment, so will have to wait until he sends me an e-mail. As soon as he does I will post it here.

The broker, the one who has just been at this location for a few months, was also surprised to hear about the CE rating of only C. He was kind of surprised and impressed to hear the 'deduction' that was by all of you guys. He promised to ask the head office about all of the issues you guys mentioned and hopefully he will get back to me this week. It is a week of holidays in the Netherlands, lots of people have the whole week off, so might have to wait a bit longer. He did confirm that the boat has been for sale for 4 years now.
The boat is lying in a covered area (basically a large shed), engines are started on a regular basis and boat is being looked after. I guess the current owner has to pay for that service.

Thanks Mambo42. Very helpful to understand and clearly you have spent a lot of time determing what is right for your intended use. I wish I could find a good location on my boat for so much solar. That really makes a difference!

Thanks Mambo42. Very helpful to understand and clearly you have spent a lot of time determing what is right for your intended use. I wish I could find a good location on my boat for so much solar. That really makes a difference!

Originally my boat came with 4 x 150 wp solar panels which were attached to the railing of the upper deck. However there was a lot of shading, so the amount of solar energy was limited. That was the first reason for the upgrade to 400 wp panels.
I then saw on Youtube a guy who had mounted the panels outside of the boat. Everytime he would be moving he would fold the panels down and once at anchor he would fold them out again. So that became the idea of the first 4 panels.
Then came the question: 'where to go with the other 4 panels ?'
The logical place was the stern. We have predominantly Northerly winds in the Med during the summer, which means the stern is positioned to the South, ideal for solar and no shading.
After walking through the marina for quite a few days I had seen many solutions for attaching solar panels, but even better I found the welder who had made all those frames. The guy is a real genius and an outstanding welder, I have never seen such quality when it comes to welding.
So he came up with a frame that will be connected to the stern of the boat on which 4 panels will be attached. They will basically hang behind the boat as a sort of sun shade for the stern. At the same time this frame can be used to hang the dinghy under while under way. They dinghy will be about 1 foot out of the water, just below the passarelle.
Having the dinghy hang on the stern has three advantages for us. It clears up the dinghy deck, so that we can use it for chairs, sun beds etc. That deck area is 5 x 6 meters, so about 30 m2 or usable real estate.
Second the dinghy can be out of the water when we don't use it, so no growth of barnacles and no cleaning required.
Third, it makes entering the dinghy rather simple for us and the dogs.

Each solar panel weighs about 20 kg, so the total weight is about 80 kg. The frame itself is about 50 kg (I guess) so I am adding about 150 kg to the stern of the boat, which is not a problem.
To off set the weight in the stern I have added 40 mtr of 13 mm anchor chain for a total of 140 mtrs. That length enables us to anchor outside the charter boat anchorages at depths up to 20 mtrs with a 6 : 1 scope. The charter boats usually create one big mess in an anchorage, but they don't have enough chain with them to anchor safely in waters deeper than 10 mtrs.

The welder designed the frame in such a way (using 80 mm diameter SS pipes) that it can withstand about 65 kts of wind without a problem. He told me that many times that is where people make the mistake. They go for a smaller diameter pipe and find out that at 40 kts of wind the panels say goodbye to the boat. So I accepted his suggestion of the 80 mm diameter SS.

However, I saw a video on Youtube last week, which I am thinking of incorporating as well. This guy had 2 panels on the back of his sailing vessel, but had 2 panels below them, which he could slide outwards so that he has 4 panels while on anchor.
So am now in contact with the welder again and see if he can create something like that as well. Then I would have 6 panels on the stern, 4 on the sun deck for a total of 4 Kwp while on anchor.
When we are underway we will always have the 4 panels on the stern for 1.6 Kwp.
It may not look beautiful, but we are not in a fashion contest or most beautiful boat contest. The boat has to serve our needs and being able to get rid of necessity of the generator expands our sailing area drastically.
Also, the fuel prices will not go down anymore, only will go up and if we ever want to sell the boat the next owner will have a good reason to choose our boat.

I have to be honest and admit that I had a rough idea of what I wanted, but did not know how to realize it. So I literally spent months on youtube seeing videos about installing solar, solar on boats, positives, negatives, victron systems, lithium systems etc etc That gave me the opportunity to work out what I had in mind and after that I got in contact with the electricians and the welder to make it happen.
I would like to make everyone believe that I am crawling through the boat pulling cables etc, but am too old and too stiff for that. In my younger days I would have been able, now no more. I will be able to do my own maintenance, but installing it I leave up to the professionals.

I see you have a Fleming 55, so out of curiosity, what CE rating do you have ? The one on offer only has a C rating and that does not really sound correct.
Also, in the brochure it states a fuel usage of 10 ltr / hr, butI guess that has to be 10 gallons per hour, which would be more in line with what I have found as the fuel usage of Cat 3208.

On top of that, if you would have to describe the points of attention with a FL 55, which one would that be ?

Appreciate your insights.

Yes my Californian 55 gets 10 gallons per hour at 10 knots. 3208s are a bit smokey at start up but clean up when warmed.

Most of my life growing up in Maine, my family, and in later years with my wife, our boats were "loved". None were permanent, and upgrades would come up every few years. But all these boats were emotional attachments which carried many good memories.

In 2015 we moved to Long Island NY, a few years after Superstorm Sandy. Many of our dock mates were openly vocal about wishing their boat would sink to the bottom so they could get the insurance settlement. They cleaned and cared for their boats with more attention to detail than I've ever seen... but it wasn't cuz they loved their boat... it was to preserve the resale value!

This was a very strange phenomenon to me, to my wife and I. Then in Looper circles, the advice of the brokers, to those trying to select the right Looper Boat, the advice was / is, "Don't get emotionally attached to the boat you select." It is a temporary vessel in your life, and be ready to move on. ((Of course, the brokers make more money the more boats that hit the market in any given year.)) But again, this phenomenon seemed odd to us who, "fall in love" with our boats... even if only for a few years.

Your question can be looked at purely economically, and cost of ownership, or cost per year that you'll own her... OR some type of analysis like that. Your question can also be looked at emotionally... in how emotionally invested you are (choose to be) in one boat or another.

In my youth, my father often said, "Make your mistakes early in life!".
Later in life, I often tell myself, "There is no 'wrong' choice!"

Spiritual decisions are best made after looking at things on several different "levels", some call it "discernment". There is often no wrong decision!!!

Bon Chance!!! Of course, let us know what you decide!

Get oil samples from the engines, both transmissions, and the generator.

Ahh. A mystery is exposed. Take your time and find out why it has been listed so long.

Next week I hope to be able to get the hull nr and I will pass that on to Fleming USA. Was in contact with them this week and they promised to start digging if I can supply the hull nr. Should be possible I guess.

And hopefully the broker is willing to share some info why this boat has been for sale for such a long time. Does not mean we will get the real story, but we will get some story and perhaps with that info we can start piecing some things together.

As soon as I know more I will post it here in this thread. :thumb:

Until then I wish everyone a superb end of 2022 and a great beginning of 2023 (which is tonight :) )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom